What Kind of hay do you feed your minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of hay do you feed your minis?

• Straight Alfalfa hay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Grass hay

• Alfalfa/grass mix hay

• neither - feed commercial pellet mix

• Alfalfa cubes with hay

• Alfalfa cubes only

• Alfalfa/Timothy cubes

• other

• Total voters
I am an individual feeder. Summertime I get really good grass hay and store for use throughout the year. Most horses are on grass hay right now except my show stallion and mares with babies ready to wean. Last trimester mares are on alfalfa, then good grass pasture, and as I said, alfalfa when babies are just about ready to wean. My yearlings were on straight alfalfa and equine junior for the spring but are now on grass. My old guy is on limited grass as he will become a toad otherwise. I supplement cob or equine junior as needed.

Hi every one.

I currently feed regular grass hay. But I am curious, what are the benefits of alfalfa?

sorry for the off topic question but I would really like to know,

thanks,

-Jennie
wacko.gif

i have always fed timothy. Here in New England it is much harder to find good alfalfa and I find the protein level is too high for my horses.

Here, alfalfa seems to be the most accessible(and cheapest...10 bucks a bale) hay, so that is what we feed. Not had a problem, but we don't have any horses that require grass hay(too fat, likely to have problems, etc).

Latest posts

Back