What kind of bird is this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
This little guy landed in our pool yesterday. He started diving and would stay down for a bit and then pop back up. I was worried because there is A LOT of chemical solution in there right now. The pool has NOT been maintained and we are in the process of trying to clean it. After 5 minutes or so he flew off. I hope it didn't hurt him. I think he was looking for fish. Is he some kind of duck?

DSC06535.jpg

DSC06537.jpg

Looks like some kind of duck but what do I know.
default_wacko.png

I love to hair-doo!!
default_biggrin.png

It is either a female hooded merganser or a female common merganser, hard to tell. But I would say probably a juvenile though, either way.

A cute little thing, huh? Lucky you, to get such a treat in your pool!
default_yes.gif

We see lots of those in this area in the sloughs. We have a small pond (I mean tiny) and have had a few ducks over the years. This year we had a pair of wood ducks and a pair of mallards simultaneously.

Have not seen the wood ducks lately, but the mallards are back, often.

We put some goldfish in the pond a few years ago and quickly found ourselves hosting a Blue Heron and later on a couple of Otters. The goldfish did not last long!

Interesting that the duck would land in your pool. I am sure the short time exposure to the chemicals probably didn't do much damage to him (or her).

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Liz

Latest posts

Back