What is your horses favorite

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peanut is picky, and won't eat people food, although he LOVES sodas

Dealer on the other hand, will eat ANYTHING. He is a major pig!

My dwarf Dusty, LOVES McDonalds french fries! He comes unglued when he smells them!
new_shocked.gif
We actually shared an order today as a matter of fact! At least he drinks alot afterwards! He also likes a frozen drink we have here in Tucson called Eegees. It's got different fruit flavors and is so nice and refreshing on such hot days! It's got a thicker, icey texture than a Slurpee and has real fruit in it. He loves the black raspberry, cranberry and watermelon and he really enjoys it when I feed it to him with the little plastic spoon! French fries and Eegees, a little boys favorite meal!
yes.gif

My guys better not read these posts because they don't get such treats.
no.gif
Used to have 7 young step-grandkids and didn't want any little fingers bitten. Boy were they sad when they came out one day with a bag of apples & carrots...

most of the horses didn't even know what they were and wouldn't try them.
new_shocked.gif

Those kids have all grown up now and my own grandchild loves to pet noses. So, I'm still in the "no finger treats" mode.

Secret (in avatar) will do anything for a peppermint.
new_shocked.gif
Watermelon rinds are always a hit.
yes.gif

Here's a great tip: Peanut butter, I put smz tablets in peanut butter and stick it on the roof of their mouth.
unsure.gif
After a couple of times they will suction your finger to make sure they get all the peanut butter off.
new_shocked.gif

Robin

Ginia that was MINE! Glad to hear you tried it, I TOLD YOU. The other would be Macaroon cookies my 32 yr old Q.H. would follow you to the ends of the earth for one.

My first horse hated peppermints or sugar cubes so I never got in to the habit of giving my horses treats like that.

I have several commerical horse treats that they love and we usally stick to them.

I do the horses fruits and veggies. Every once in a while they get watermelon, everyone but Bob loves that. I found out that we have a crab apple tree growing in our yard so now they get crab apples. They love them!

I also like to make my own horse treats from scratch. It is a fun and easy way to make treats that are mini sized.

When it is hot out I love to make them a frozen treat. I take apples, carrots, and what every else is in the frig and put them in plastic dishes. Then I poor in diluted fruit juice and stick them in the freezer. Volia, when they are frozen I put them in the the horses kiddie pool. They love to lick and chomp at those.

Oh and Beer used to an old farmers trick to dealing with colic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bess Kelly said:
My guys better not read these posts because they don't get such treats. 
no.gif
  Used to have 7 young step-grandkids and didn't want any little fingers bitten.  Boy were they sad when they came out one day with a bag of apples & carrots...most of the horses didn't even know what they were and wouldn't try them. 
new_shocked.gif

Those kids have all grown up now and my own grandchild loves to pet noses.  So, I'm still in the "no finger treats" mode.

461824[/snapback]

I know what you are talking about. A solution that the local therpy riding program came up with was to use a bucket. The kids put the treats in the bucket and the horses could eat them out of there. If your minis don't know about those types of treats, cut up a carrot or apple and put it in with their feed. Soon they will realize that they are good to eat.

I'd have to say his favorites are animal crackers and mints, after carrots of course!

Apparantly Shelled peanuts according to yesterdays show but he wont be haveing those again!LOL he love "Country Tyme Lemonade" lol i buy it fromt he fridge at our barn sop he can have some he loves it:)

Definetly french fries and peppermints.
new_shocked.gif
wub.gif

See that nose im my avatar? How could you resist?
biggrin.gif

Well My Miniature Donkeys and My miniature Horses both LOVE

WHEAT THINS!!!!!!!
wub.gif

I have tamed down untouched "wild" donkeys with Wheat Thins!!!
wink.gif

They are a must have!!!!

well, how we found out they liked beer is we had a campout on the ranch and the guys were drinkin and left there cans in the pen and the boys absoulutely attacked the can trying to get a drop at least. we all just laughed

Mini Wheats (Go figure!)

Pizza Crust

Corn stalks and husks

Cheerios

Salad

Whatever they can get their hands on
new_shocked.gif

Never thought of French fries,
new_shocked.gif

Our Florida horses came with a hunger for bananas.
aktion033.gif
They love them.can get kind of messy. We peel them and give in small chunks. Also foiund out they eat the peel just as well. Cut them with scissors to make sure everyone gets equal share.

After a few times watching the rest of the herd got the taste for bananas.

The foal gets afterdinner mints for reward. He loves them and mom can't get enough now.

They also get the usual apples, carrots(especially the baby ones), peppermints

Mark

mints and carrots and of course all the horsey treats I buy...then I have a few that will eat ANYTHING, especially my standard donkey..but he loves a soda to go with his treat! Corinne

Ours love the taste of beer and some really go for popsicles.

We do not feed treats on a regular basis. It cuts back on noses constantly in your hands, pockets and trying to find out whats in anything you happen to be carrying. But once or twice a week we do feed a treat in the form of a peppermint or just a piece of carrot.

Well are horses are spoiled with the taste of whole wheat bread or pretty much any types of bread, carrots, apples saltine crackers and they like the apple oats horse treats.
aktion033.gif

Thank for asking.

Mine love and will eat anything!!! especially animal cookies.....i have to make sure they are pened up when ever I feed the cats and dogs leftovers or they will run them off and eat it themselves....

Back