What is your favorite halter? Barn, show, etc.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim~Crayonboxminiatures

Reaction score
I thought this would be fun. My favorite for a barn/everyday halter is Hamilton Deluxe Nylon, they have a mini/foal size and a pony size that fit the different sizes of Minis heads perfectly and they are adustable so you can make them two sizes bigger in the winter to fit over the furry heads! They are sturdy, not flimsy small nylon like so many of the mini halters, and they have the cheek snap which I love.

I don't show, but I like simple, and have a few rolled leather halters for photos. I think they look real nice and more spiffy for photos.
default_smile.png

What is your favorite halter??

My favorite halter is my leather one that I purchased from Arion Managment. I got my stallions name on a brass plate "Little Kings Sentra Supreme" on it and wow is it such great quality! It's a great liberty halter and show barn halter.
default_biggrin.png

They advertize them on their sales page

For barn halters I like any good nylon halter. The only thing that I don't like about some nylon halters is some have the adjustable chin, I hate that. Too much bulk where my lead rope is and it gets stuck through the chin hook and I just hate it. I know alot of people here dislike rope halters, but I do have a horse who works awesome in a rope.

For halter showing, Victors are really the best. Although I don't have one I do have a few of the Show Time Tack halters(shepards and shilohs) in a few colors. They are really nice and look great. Show Time Tack website

For performance I like the western halter with silver sides that ozark has and the plain/bling ones at Star Lake tack.

Hope this helps,

Alex

I've purchased a fair share of nylon halters over the years and I want the ones adjustable in two places--otherwise they're gappy and don't do their job. I tried a red, white, and blue one on Mazie last week and it was so loose around her muzzle I won't use it. The absolute best fitting, best priced ones are at Kay Jay Farm.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some nylon halters from Double Diamond that I use a lot. I also have some Hamilton halters--one in Mini size and several in pony size (have found that not all the Hamilton pony halters are the same size--I bought one that is very big, and the others are smaller & fit well as an XL size Mini halter for the bigger B horses). I don't like the adjustable chin halters--which the Hamiltons are--but since it's hard to get any XL size halters here otherwise I put up with them. And, this time of year when the horses are so fuzzy it's actually nice to have that adjustable chin--I can let the halter out a hole so it fits better over all the yak-like jaw hair the horses grow!!
default_biggrin.png
I don't buy any halters with the snap at the throatlatch as I just don't like them.

For show halters--I like the Showtime halters the best overall. I have several with the metal bar noseband--one with silver and two with silver/gold and I have two of their closed ring Shepherd halters.

For years I thought Victor halters were the absolute best show halters, and last winter I finally got 2 of them. I have to say that when they arrived I was disappointed. I don't know, they just weren't as sharp looking and impressive as I'd been imagining them to be. They look okay on some of the horses, but on a lot of the horses I like the Showtimes better. So, I have to say that overall my Showtime halters are still my favorite show halters.

Back