What is your breeding program?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
We all know that conformation should be, and is most likely the #1 priority of most breeders of Miniature Horses. Most of us can all think of a few farms that don't, but we will just pretend like they don't exist for right now. 
default_biggrin.png

What is your breeding program like and how would you describe it? Do all your horses fit your program? Do you retain a lot of foals or sell them all? How do you decide who goes, and who stays? How do you decide who gets gelded, and who does not? Do you breed for color (pinto/appy) or are you a solids only person? 

Let's find out a bit more about each members farm and their breeding program!

I agree conformation is of the upmost importance! We breed for conformationally sound horses that can do halter or performance. We have all varieties of colors, solids, pintos, pintaloosas, and appies. All of our horses definitely fit our program and that makes it harder to decide who to sell, we generally will sell foals but like to keep some back every now and then especially if the mare or stallion they are out of is getting up in years and might be retired soon. I have no idea how to decide who to sell, I change my mind everyday, as I said I love all of the horses we have so it is a tough decision! Gelding depends on attitude and conformation. I had two gorgeous stallions that I just gelded because as stallions they just were a little too rowdy for me and they will both make awesome show geldings. We also like to have most of our horses double registered with AMHA and AMHR but do have a few AMHR or AMHA only horses too plus a couple that are PtHA.

I only have 5 mares, 1 yearling, and have downsize to help our enjoyment.

2 of these 5 mares are from our own breeding.

Love my mares to be 30-32" and are all colored.

Pinto/Appy

All are AMHA / AMHR

Stallion is only 27.75" Homozygous for Tobiano (he is a black & white Pinto)

All of our offspring are sold being we do not have another stallion for breeding.

But we do have 3 gelding which the older one does it all and the other 2 will grow up to take his place, one for my husband and 1 for me, to show...

Great topic love to hear more from others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely conformation first and foremost and I guess a close second would be disposition... I also take a look at athletic ability- but that usually comes with good conformation. I do breed for Appaloosa color, however that is just icing on the cake on top of what I hope is a nice horse.

It is funny that this subject came up today as a good mini friend and I were talking about the exact same question last night as we prepare to do an auction next month. Most of you know we have been in the midst of a herd reduction here at Cherrville Farms so it has been somewhat interesting to take a look at what we decided to keep and what we decided to turn loose of when coming from a high of 167 horses down to the 40 - 50 we want the herd at.

Basically we have broken it down to a few things.

First those horses that have heart strings tied to them for Cindy/I and will die here. Thankfully those turned out to be some of the best producers also so that helped a bunch.
default_wub.png

But then the culling had to start, we go thru a culling every year and that makes it difficult to say the least on the brood mares and stallions. Most have produced world or national champions for us or they would not still be here. And then there were those in the yearling and two year old pastures that we wanted to let mature a little more before we let them go and still deserve a chance to grab the golden ring.LOL
default_aktion033.gif

Those horses in the yearling and two year old pastures comprised about 40 of the herd and we let them start leaving to folks that were interested in showing them or wanted particular bloodlines for their herds. Additionally folks that had expressed interest in the past about particular mares or babies we contacted and reduced pricing in order to make them affordable for those folks on some previously not for sale horses.
default_luck.gif

Now we are down to the final 65 - 70 horses and it has started to get tough to say the least. Our decisions are now made on the following prerequisites: (not in any order of preference)

1. Past production of quality babies. This is made somewhat easier by over 25 years of results to look at.

2. Bloodlines we want in the herd that have proven compatible with the stallions we will be keeping.

3. Current trends in the industry as far as what is winning in the show ring and how we feel the future production of these horses will match up.

4. Soundness of conformation and ability to produce horses that can and will have movement and/or halter ability.

5. The visual comparison of the horse in question to what we like to look at in a mini and consider to be a great horse.

6. What we personally enjoy from a size, color and type in a mini. This is where Cindy and I have some pretty heated discussions as she likes little and I like big as a general rule just as an example. LOL

The bottom line is, that this is the part of the industry we like the best, Long Term breeding! Making plans, culling each year, trying different combinations to see what works and attempting to produce the perfect mini in mind, spirit and body that we possibly can. We will see if we made the right choices in the years to come. And how many of the horses we let go end up turning out to be better in the show ring and breeding pens for others.
default_oops.gif

Great topic by the way and I am enjoying the input form all the other posters. Thanks for starting it JNK!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I have a very small herd of mainly buckskin horses that I bought over the last four years. I did a lot of homework before buying. I studied miniature conformation, pedigrees and aligned myself with some of the best breeders in the business who became friends and mentors. I'm not breeding for the purpose of making money, thank goodness or I'd be stressed out. I breed to improve and if that doesn't happen then they are not rebred. I'm a firm believer that almost all colts should be gelded. Very few are actually stallion material and coming from the big horse world, it's a no-brainer.

I am breeding for buckskins with an emphasis on pretty heads, long necks, straight legs, and good hips. It seems that many breeders are getting the refinement but have lost the good, correct hip so that is my goal---

I have to agree with Debbie Sample. I, too have come from the big horse world and am a big believer that almost all colts should be gelded, very few should be left studs. It makes a excellent stud to make a great gelding. I, too have a very small herd and conformation, pretty heads, nice long necks and straight legs come first! Color is just the icing on the cake.

What a fun thread!

I really feel after 10 years we are really breeding what I planned all these years. The last couple years have been our best foals and we have found some crosses that work exactly as I had hoped and worked for.

We have an ASPC/AMHR program and an ASPC program. To me this is the best of all worlds
default_smile.png
We also breed pinto and overo but this is never the first consideration. Always conformation first. People still laugh that I have a solid grey filly that sticks out like a sore thumb in that herd of pintos but a great horse is any color.

My goal all those years ago was to be able to produce foals with good hips, no stifle issues, nice necks, smooth bodies, good movement and a pretty head. Foals that could hold their own in a very competitive show area and have awesome dispositions so that anyone could love them and show them. While many say disposition doesnt matter, its a huge deal around here. I will not own or breed a horse with a bad disposition no matter how nice it is.

People that know me will tell you I will just about geld anything. I am a big believer in a great gelding. We have sold very few intact stallions of our own breeding. They have to be special or they dont stay a stallion. I think in all of our years we have sold 2 that were not gelded.

Knowing who to sell is a tough decision. One was a filly. I bought her before I bought her sire (never imagined he would be mine) so now that I own her sire it makes sense as I really need to replace her with a mare to breed to her sire.

Since we have small numbers I think it becomes even more difficult. Last summer I sold a stunning filly that I had planned to keep and show. But sometimes life hits you hard and you have to sell your best. Shes in a great home and that means the world to me!

Like John we have a long range plan and I think that is paramount. I always tell new people always be looking 5 years ahead!

Small farm here too... with 7 horses total

Conformation is #1

(Long legs, long necks, small dished heads,

leg action, strong hips, REFINDNESS)

Double registered

(34" and under)

Solid colors

(bays, buckskins, roans)

Bloodlines of:

(King Supreme, Buckeroo, Komokos,

Johnstons, Dandy, & much more)

We are changing directions with our herd from AMHA/AMHR to AMHR/ASPC horses. Over the last two years I have sold all my mares but one and bought two bred mares this year. Also bought two yealing fillies and a weanling fily to show and be broodmares in the future. It was been two years since we have had any mini foals so can't wait for spring. I love a nice long neck with a beautiful head topped off by tiny tippy ears. Also at the top of my list is a beautiful floating trot. Anyone that knows us will be able to tell you what my favorite color is. I LOVE black and white pintos. I'm also a big fan of gelding. (KayKay if you were talking about Miss Fashion I hope we meet up at a show next year so you can see her. I just love that little filly!)

Yes Lori I was talking about Miss Fashion! I really hated to let that one go but knowing shes with you and your mom made it so much easier. Im really hoping to come up your way to show and see her and rumor. Cant wait! I get the best messages from your mom on FB she loves Fashion a lot and that is what its all about!

Now that is what makes this industry so much fun from a breeders standpoint. Producing horses you really like and then seeing them a highlight for someone else and hoping they do well for them. We enjoy that aspect even more than showing and winning ourselves. Congrats to both of you!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Mel has bred horses of one sort or another his whole life, but when he decided to raise Shetland ponies he got a few there and here. Then through looking in The Journal and studing bloodlines, he knew he wanted to come as close as possible to a line of that resembled true Shetland ponies and not any additional line that were already in there. He has nothing against Hackney and Welsh, but they are not his cup of tea!

The two lines which best reflected what he wanted were Arenosa lines and Olney lines. He decided to raise as close as the same ponies that Audrey Barrett raised in the Arenosa ponies.

We try to raise as close to what she had having quite a number that she bred herself. A smaller pony almost always also registered AMHR so that they can be refined for show purposes, yet have enough bone for working(driving).

It is VERY hard to decide who we should sell, but because of health problems that has been decided for us.
default_no.gif
...we hope to "maybe" keep a stallion and a few mares. We shall see what happens in the future!
default_wub.png
it would be nice to still have a few that we can raise.

We are noticing some very, very nice ponies out there which is nice. Keep on breeding good ponies and/or miniature horses!

Blessings,

Jenny

default_saludando.gif

We have mostly have the ASPC/AMHR horses and that is what we are breeding and showing now. I have a very few straight miniature horses at the farm yet and not looking to purchase any AMHA/AMHR horses.

I only have two AMHA/AMHR registered horses left and they are both appaloosa's that I am selling off and we are no longer going that direction.

We both like the larger equine with having a few straight ASPC ponies that are both Modern geldings and a Classic gelding that we show and recently purchased a Foundation filly that should stay small enough to hardship into the AMHR.

Color is icing on the cake as far as we are concerned, conformation is first, disposition is next and so on....

This next show season will be the first that we will have all ASPC or ASPC/AMHR ponies but our one mare (Coventry Lane's Hollywood Diva) is the one that is a straight miniature horse and she has done very well against the ponies at the AMHR Nationals in driving and halter as well. She will be the one that will never leave the farm.

We were told many years ago from someone that within the next 5 years the B sized horses will be more competive and will have larger classes at the shows when years back, there were hardly anyone that had a B sized horse.

Everyone likes something different and we breed what we like and show what we love.

Like most conformation is always #1. But I show Pinto so color is important to me also. I have a small herd and I was pretty picky on my breeding stock. They have good bloodlines and most have either their sire or dam as a world/national champion. Someone once told me "easiest way to get champions is to breed champions". Generally that works well but I've found that I really like an "all-around" horse. One that is a good performance horse that can also hold it's own in halter. Not all the mares I bought crossed that well with my stallion but I was thrilled with what some of them produced! Those mares are re-bred and the mares I didn't like the cross with are re-homed. I only want 1-2 foals a year so if I end up with only 4 mares that cross well with my stallion I'm perfectly happy!! As far as the gelding issue....I love geldings!! I have only sold one intact colt and people thought I was crazy to geld Danny but I wanted a "kick butt" gelding to show...and I am thrilled with him as a gelding.
default_smile.png
that was the plan, to raise awesome horses for other people to show and enjoy!

Conformation with an emphasis on great leg to body proportion.

As our name, Pacific Pintos, implies, we are after pintos, though we do produce both pintos and solids.

I have several pinto color breeding programs; Frame, Tobiano, Sabino, Splashed White, as well as Toveros (a combination of both overos and tobianos). We are focused on black pintos and have many homozygous for black horses in our herd.

Currently we have five stallions ( one frame sabino, two homozygous tobianos, one sabino, and one tovero) with their own mares. Some mares work with multiple stallions, some are more for a specific stallion.

We are looking for refinement and nice heads.

I really do not care if it is a refined "Quarter horse type" or "Arabian type", both long and short back work for me as long as they look proportinally right on the horse.

In fact, for birthing purposes, long backs give the foal more room to move and more room if I need to manipulate the foal during a delivery.

I look for breeding stock that has something a bit extra. A special look, lovely body and head, as well as interesting color. We like producing foals that have something extra to offer our clients; homozygous Tobiano, Frame Overo, Homozygygous Black. Something that gives our clients something special in the show ring, in their breeding program or in their backyard.

This is my newest find. A pregnant mare that should arrive in December. Still looking for a shipper to bring her to Calfornia from Colorado.

LakotaLeft4.jpg

I know what I like, but it's often hard for me to put into words! I have a very small herd now, did some culling the last few years, mainly just to cut back on care and what I could afford.

1. Conformation: I like a well balanced horse, good length of leg compared to body depth, no stifle problems, a slightly refined head with big eyes, but still room for teeth so no dental/bite issues, smooth movement. I realize most of my breeding will go to family/pet homes where they may want to do driving, etc, so my goal is to have a sound horse in body and mind. AMHA/AMHR, 32-36" is my goal for heights, working towards 32-34" but I have one B size mare that I love.

2. Disposition: I like a smart horse, a thinker, picks up on new things quickly and retains it, easy to work with temperament, good with kids is huge must. I like having to win the heart/approval of a horse (as it seems to be common in appys), it can make it more of a challenge to find the right home for them, but when that match is made it's wonderful!

3. Color: The elusive appaloosa coloring, I love spots! I won't sacrifice the other elements for color, so I also have a pinto and a solid.
default_smile.png

We are striving to produce high quality, versatile PINTO minis (A/R/PtHA registered) in the 31-34 inch range. We want them to be able to compete in halter, driving, halter obstacle (trail), hunter, and also make good pets. We have sought the bloodlines of Rowdy, GMB/Buckeroo, and Blue Boy in our breeding stock, often with World and National Champions in their pedigree. But each is judged on his or her OWN merits, especially how well they produce if they have foals on the ground.

When we look at conformation we look at the bone structure, especially legs, shoulders, and hips, along with BALANCE (breaking the mini into 3 parts) and looking as much like a big horse as possible.

Temperament is also very important, and we expand that to include personality, because they are not the same! We want an easy going temperament suitable for driving or obstacle, along with a strong or unique personality. (Our gelding Cowboy has the personality, but not quite the temperament we seek!).

Movement is also important but all our "good movers" move differently. What they have in common is a long stride (good over-reach), a relatively slow tempo for a mini, and some suspension, which varies a lot with our minis. We have gotten compliments on their tempo from an American Driving Society clinician who often has to work on slowing down tempo in minis.

Our plan is to sell the foals, but we haven't been very successful. There seems to be more of a market here for driving horses.

We are also a teensy farm. I look for conformation first- I am also a big fan of a strong Dam line, (hence my Grandson of Jaded Lady) and love some neck!

The color thing is a tough one. I am also a big horse person first and foremost- and coming from Hunters, the minis that came in fun colors was like taking off your sunglasses for the first time!

However, I also am still a huge stickler for Correct. This would be why I have 7 total potential or current broodmares.

Of those we have 1 chestnut paint, two black, one silver dun (pictured in my avatar) on silver buckskin, one grulla, one silver bay. All were chosen fist and foremost for their build and for the cross on my stallion or stallion prospect. It happens to be that IMO my best producer is one of the black mares, hence keeping her black filly. Those are some weird colors, but most are daughters of others.

However, as a breeder that also knows despite my best laid plans, there will be a need for pet homes, the color helps find some of those kids a home.

The plain brown/black wrapper isn't always picked- and we all have to look twice when we see a horse that has some fantastic markings. (Think Piano Man or Lotto!)

As far as bloodlines-

I love me some Rowdy. I think you really just can't beat the necks and toplines that bloodline carries, and then adding in the more 'cutsey' lines for the googly eyes and cuter heads.

I also like Dream Merchant, and am dying to get my hands on a Chalk Chalk (Breakin' All The Rules) filly. (Emily Conder- Nirvana Training)

Also a fan of KC Pappas (sp?) and her program- pretty fantastic animals.

Well, I don't have a breeding "program" per se as right now as I only have two girls; a 5 year old mare and a yearling filly. The horse market, in general, and the miniature market, specifically, is extrememly depressed around here. But I have one foal on the way (from the 5 year old
default_wink.png
) that I'm very excited about; whether it's a filly or a colt, he/she is a keeper.

I am finding that I'm much more particular now. Whether that comes from more experience or from the fact that I only will have one or two foals every year or every other year, I don't know. I suspect it's both reasons and the fact that I'm hoping for these next couple of foals (and probably more) to be keepers.

I have found a stallion that compliments my mare beautifully (that's the sire of this expected foal). I like the taller minis; 32"-36" for mares is my preference. For stallions, I wouldn't breed to one much under 30" or over 34". If I had a lot of minis, you'd see everything in my herd (colourwise): bay, black, chestnut, buckskin, double dilutes, palomino, grey, etc. I do prefer solid colours, but I love stars, stripes, snips, socks etc. I just don't tend to go for pintos, appys, or roans.

A great shoulder, hip/hind-end, long neck, and a beautiful lightly dished head are paramount.

Latest posts

Back