What is your best advice for

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyenes

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to see what advice you would give people going down to the Nationals for the first time. Such as what not to leave home, besides the horse
laugh.gif
Best place to eat, clothing type needed, you know practical ideas we might not think of. Thanks and have fun thinking of ideas! Joyce

[SIZE=14pt]Make a list and check it twice like santa. Take clothes for really hot weather and also a couple of cool things and an umbrella and goloshes. It is air conditioned in the arena shopping area and the showing area, if you are sitting and watching bring a sweatshirt of jacket because you will FREEZE! Take a fan for your horse just in case it is in the 100s. Water hose and lots of shampoo for horse. There is a hay and bedding and feed guy there if you need it. There are tons of good places to eat. On the road behind the show grounds there is a mexican place very cheap but very good. There is also a grocery store there. there are two main roads with all kinds of places to eat. There is a great chinese buffet not far. The snack bar is there but you get real tired of hot dogs and chicken fingers after a while. We set up two stalls one to get horses ready and one for people changing and eating. we try to eat breakfast out and dinner but we do all our own lunches. My friend Rachael brings the microwave and crock pot. If you leave your show clothes home Dana can take care of you no matter what size you are and she has bargains there galore. Anything you forget for your horses, Lisa B from Ozark, Diane Charney from Mini Express, Supreme Equine, and Star Lake are all there to provide whatever you need.[/SIZE]

Guess thats all I can think of.

Anyone else pitch in.

Lyn

Bring lots of money, you can find some good deals there. Easy to get around the area. Not far from the Airport. Lots of motels, hotels, stores.
yes.gif

I found it was easier to go to the store and bring food to the show grounds then to go to eat somehow well i liken Nationals to vegas you lose track of all time and what day it is dont even know if it is morning or nite

The one thing that was told to me was it is just another horse show and that part turned out to be true everyone was friendly

be prepared for HORRIFIC humidity if you arent used to it

and alot of what you might forget you can get there

Last edited:
It's good to go with someone who "knows the ropes", so to speak, so they can let you know all the little things that are helpful. We go with a group of people of every year, and we are like an extended family while we are there, helping each other out in every way we can.

The heat and especially the humid are extreme (especially for those not used to it) so bring a cooler so you can keep plenty of water and other beverages on hand and cold, and drink up!
smile.gif

Weeeellllll---from the looks of your horse in your aveator (SP?) I would say to let me know what classes you will be in so I can be sure & not enter those
yes.gif

LOL

Seriously, good advice above, I would add only one thing.....most of all, go to have FUN!!!
aktion033.gif

Hope to see you there. Look for Horsefeathers Farm.

Pam

I hope more experience people will share any tips (especially about the AMHR Nationals). I'm saving them to a file, as we're considering making the trip from California.

I know our horses won't be ready, we're really new and green too, but we thought we might as well go and learn as my daughter is really getting into showing.

So, worst case - we'll provide lots of comic relief for everyone else!

Definitely looking forward to seeing lots of people that I've chatted with or known on line for so many years and of course the Liberty night - that sounds like an absolute blast!

Hey Michelle, I'll be there, you all can hang out by us. Actually, put on your premium you wan tto be stalled by me if you want to. It is great fun and your daughter will LOVE it!!

Remember to bring your basic horse show stuff and everythign else you can buy there. There is a Home Depot across the street and a groccery store with wonderful sandwiches and food. Of course you do loose all track of time so you also can tend to forget to eat. I would go all day and tehn around seven suddenly wonder if it was lunch time yet. Walk out of the arena and it was getting darker outside. Sheesh! When did that happen? LOL

If you don't bring it, someone there will have it for you to borrow, or you can buy it there.

Just come and expect to have a great time!!

Great advice so far
aktion033.gif
I will definanently save all this info for future reference. Pam your so funny, I will definanently look you up, I will be stalled by Fort Storey Ranch also. The heat and humidity will probably kill me
wacko.gif
I'm a cool weather kind of person, I live in Michigan you know
biggrin.gif
Thanks guys and I look forward to more advice
yes.gif
Joyce

This will be my first mini Nationals, but since Appy's going with Joel White, I've got it "easy" - just getting ourselves and our show clothes there!
rolleyes.gif

Can't WAIT!

If it's "R" Nationals...rest up for the night that Liberty is on. I don't recommend missing it. It tends to be a bit long...and yet incredibly fun.

Crowd participation last year was impressive. Many of the performances were beautiful while others were outright hilarious.

It's just the break ya' need in the middle of all the mess and stress.

Also, bring a camera with a good zoom and be prepared for dim lighting.

Be prepared to spend money at the vendors!

A cooler is good......and a fan for each stall and the tackroom is a must!

Lots of babywipes!
biggrin.gif

MA

Stacy - I'll add your name to our entry. Kathi & Sandy are coming down from Oregon, so I won't be totally alone at the show. What day are you leaving to drive back, maybe we'll see you on the road.

I'd like to arrive there on Wednesday, going to Flagstaff, Amarillo, Tulsa, so the first day is the hard one, as I'd really lik Thursday off to prep horses, orient ourselves, etc. The other two can't arrive until Thursday, and I'm concerned about being pressured!

I'm really looking forward to going, even though I don't expect to do well. Anna's philosophy - is it's the Nationals, so just going is great!

So must haves -

Fans

The horses and their stuff

Clothes for hot/cold/humid

Good shoes for all the walking

Ice chest for lots of liquids

Question - do any of the old pros have photos of the inside of the facility or can you describe the layout? It sounds huge. Is it like Fort Worth in anyway?

Thanks for all that are sharing their experiences!!!

When is nationals? I will not be showing any horses, but depending what time it is and my work schedual I was thinking of flying down for part of it.

Vanity Grove Farm is leaving Virginia on the morning of the 8th if anyone from the eastern side wants to join in on the road, we travel with Rocking Horse Acres, we make the trip in two days, stopping half way, eating a nice dinner, taking the horses off the trailer in a nice field to graze and stretch and arriving in Tulsa early afternoon. We have our radios to talk back and forth and a CB radio that keeps us in touch with what is going on on the road. We have already prepared our trailers for the trip, checking tires and electrical, greased fittings and so on. Automobiles will be serviced as well. We take plenty of water with us on the road and stop a offer the guys a little shot here and there. We have our shots later, after a long day showing.
rolleyes.gif
We take our cooler full of snacks and drinks , and stop at rest stops when the need arrises. I think the one thing that we used most at the show for our comfort was our scooter, if you have a scooter, BRING IT, allot of running back and forth to the vendors for needed items or just to the showring can be really tiresome after a few days.
yes.gif
Dont waste your time eating at the Golden Corral, they have Beans and Franks on the buffet. NOt Good !!! As lynn stated, just down the road is allot on fine places to eat and a couple of western wear stores, really nice, big stores. Bring Plenty of money, good buys. I would deffinately bring money to buy at least one outfit at the show, some very nice National show clothing, not bad prices. Dont spend a fortune at home trying to get an outfit together, you can buy it cheaper out there as well as all the accesories. Stop by and visit us at our stalls, we will have nice horses with us for sale, you may not want to miss out on, A and R registered. THanks Donna

Lots of good things mentioned......but here are a few more:

1. Take you a guest book, make a sign so that people can sign it. You now have names, farm names, addresses and phone numbers....good way to get to know people. Take plenty of business cards to hand out.

2. Take a disposable camera to take plenty of pictures. You will want some of the barns, friends working, horses, classes, driving, costumes etc.

3. Take you a crock pot. You can cook lots of easy to fix meals in them and save you lots of dollars. Crackers, chips, plenty of bottle water, cheese, fruit (orance juice in case someone goes into a diabetic state).

4. Don't get yourself worked into a frenzy.. Give yourself plenty of time for your classes, help others.....and

HAVE FUN and GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands

Burleson Texas 76028

Cool Michigan weather? Whatever happened to THAT? Here in the Saginaw/Midland area it's supposed to be 91 deg. today with 83% humidity, and 96 deg. tomorrow. :-((( UGH!!!
no.gif

This will be our first National also (heck, our fourth horse show ever!) so we are also appreciating the advice everybody is posting!!!

I'm glad to hear you can buy whatever you forget, because I just know there will be SOMETHING! I added at least four items to our horse show packing list after the Ionia show last weekend!
biggrin.gif

We're so looking forward to going and seeing some familiar faces as well as meeting lots of new ones!

Shelley

All of the above suggestions ... and ...

1. Relax and have FUN

2. Mingle, go through the barns, visit with the others and get to meet some great future "best friends.

3. Relax and have FUN

4. Remember - this is just another horse show - just a "little" bigger.

5. Relax and have FUN

Michelle@wescofarms said:
I'm really looking forward to going, even though I don't expect to do well.  Anna's philosophy - is it's the Nationals, so just going is great!

420915[/snapback]

That is pretty much how i go to any show including Nationals i get to see lots of people make new friends, put faces to names and see amazing horses- learn tons from watching some of the top handlers- what more could you ask for any ribbon is just icing on the cake

For any and all wondering, here is the link to where we will all be. There is some very good information on it and layouts of the facilities.

Expo Square

Michelle, it is great just to be there. Really truly, winning is nice, but being there is the best!! Remember to tell Anna, top ten at Nationals IS winning!!!! Last year I got 11th place under one judge in a class of 67. I felt I had won it. I was so thrilled!!

We will be leaving the fifth and takeing the same route you are. Do you need layover places again? I have them if you do. The very best place to stay ever, in flagstaff. Or did I give you those already?

Oh and take lots of money, you won't believe the stuff there is to buy. And Anna will have to have a scooter ya know! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back