What is wrong with my mare??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvponies

Reaction score
I have a 22 year old mini mare. She was due to get her feet trimmed in July, but I totally forgot and didn't bring her in to get her done with the other horses. About 2 weeks before the farrier was due back in August, she started walking very stiffly and slowly. Thought maybe it was because her feet had gotten long since she hadn't been trimmed on schedule in July. Farrier trimmed her on 8/17. She's still walking very stiffly and slowly and lying down more often. Got some Corta-Flx HA. She's had the 3 loading doses and 3 maintenance doses so far and I don't see any difference. She's otherwise very healthy, eating/drinking/pooping OK. I don't feel any heat in her feet or legs. No sign of any injury, no signs of illness.

What could be wrong with her and what should I do for her? I would appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks!!!

She doesn't seem overweight to me. I've had her in a relatively dry lot since she started walking so stiffly. There's some grass, but not much left. I've started stalling her at night because she likes to lie down in the straw. Not that we've ever had any wild dogs or anything, but with her having such a hard time moving around,I feel safer with her in the barn at night. I'm afraid that she wouldn't be able to defend herself.

My first thought would have been one of the "itis" brothers but the corta flex should have improved that from what I have heard about that product. I'd say maybe an abcess, but then the farrier should have detected that. Possibly ulcers?

At this point, I wouldn't let this go on any further, and I'd have the vet out to do some testing. Her levels could be off and it just may be a simple fix such as a supplement in her feed.

The first time I saw my mare walking so stifly like you mentioned, she had been out all night grazing.. I found out later that most areas the sugar content in fresh grass rises in the pm hours, and she was on "overload"- borderline founder... So I did the routien for founder, although I could not detect any signs..Ice soaks, 3x a day for the 1st two days and very soft/deep bedding to stand on and in a comfortable setting that would encourage her laying down.., and dry grass hay ONLY.. we also gave her in the beginning some paste type pain med. She did show improvement after a few days. She is now slimmer and never grazes at night. She also should get soon attention on those hooves as it will only aggrivate her present condition.

Sounds the same as my mare acted when she foundered due to her low thyroid. She walked as though walking on eggshells, laid down more, seemed almost depressed in personality, and seemed to rest her back feet a lot.

My guess on this would also be founder caused by some body chemistry change. jennifer

Latest posts

Back