What is up, she will NOT go out into the pasture?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
We have gone through the same routine for years. Open the gate, out of the dry lot, through the alley and into the pasture.

But for whatever reason, Jazz refuses to go into the pasture. Today was the 3rd morning in a row she has done that and it is not like her. All of the rest of the horses go out, do not hesitate, do not act like there is anything wrong. Jazz gets to the alley, turns around and comes back up to the barn. Then she just hangs with me, something else she does not do.

She does not act sick, or off. Health wise, all seems to be normal with her. When the rest come back up, they get grain, Jazz eats fine.

This is a nice, lush pasture.

I have checked the pasture for anything different and can not find a thing. Not only that, if there has ever been anything out there, or different, my boss mare picks it up first, and every time. Like I said, the rest of the horses are going out.

Any ideas as to the why she is doing this all of a sudden?

For what ever reason, I think she is telling me something, but for the life of me I can't hear her.

You could try leading her through to the pasture and lead her far enough away from the gate and then let her go. Worth a try.

Could she have gotten stung by something? I know the bugs around here are horrible and my big gelding doesn't stay out long, so bugs are the first thing I thought of.

I did take her out this morning. She didn't act scared, but as soon as I took the halter off, she turned and walked calmly back up to the barn. Other horses who did not feel good have done that, but she seems to be fine. As I cleaned this morning and she stayed up with me, I watched her the whole time to be sure.

We do have tons of bugs due to so much rain, so is she being a weiner? The pasture has been kept cut to help control the bugs.

Carolyn, my Quarter Horse Sonny won't go out in his pasture now either. Its the biting flies. Doesn't matter how much I spray him, or what kind I use; they HURT him. He comes in all bittin and chewed up if I force him out. For him to go out, I have a couple of mesh fly sheets, and also several fly masks that I have to dress him up in. Then he will go out. He will stand in the isleway and wait for me to dress him up but if I don't, he's not moving. He's not stupid!

Go to Ozark and they have a nice fly sheet that is very nice and invest in one of those. I'll bet your horse goes right out in it.

Could anything have startled her out there? Like a dog or a wild animal? Maybe she just feels a little off and wants to take it easy for a few days
default_rolleyes.gif
Is she pregnant?

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the feeling it was a snake that spooked her in the grass......... She needs to be reassured that all is safe again.........

I am with Maryann, I am thinking she was spooked by a SNAKE!

Robin

Well, I took her out again this morning. Stayed a little bit, took off the halter and she went back up to the barn. Guess I won't worry about it so much, just keep trying because other than that she is acting fine.

I get the feeling it was a snake that spooked her in the grass......... She needs to be reassured that all is safe again.........
Yes I see this too, she will go in time assure her show it it is gone now then be sure it is gone.

Sable won't leave the barn either. I know it's the flies because even if I put hay out there she eats fast and races back for cover! The deer flies are real bad right now so I can't say I blame her, I hate those little suckers! :DOH!

Could it be possible it is just cooler in the barn?

Sounds to me she could have gotten spooked by something as well.

Latest posts

Back