What is the longest your mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windhaven

Reaction score
I am curious as to what is the longest some mares have gone before coming into foal heat? I know that the norm is 7-10 days and I have to say my mares usually follow this rule.

But the mare that had the colt on March 26th did not show any foal heat signs and the colt did not get the scours until now. He has had them for about 4 days which it started about 17 days after he was born. The mare still doesn't show any interest in the stallion. Just wondering if someone has had mares come into foal heat this long after the foal was born. The colt is on probias and is doing better but not quit right yet.

I have some other possibilities that could of caused it.

Has anyone had a foal get the scours when starting to let the mare eat fresh grass? I have never had access to fresh grass until this year.

Also this colt likes the salt block (which I have taken away).

All of this things happen about the same time. Mare and colt where moved to a new stall which had access to a salt block at all times and I just started putting the mare on grass for a 1/2 hr. a day to get her use to it and gradually build up her time.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Our girl just started her heat day before yesterday baby will be 21 days tomorrow. So her heat began at around 18 days.

I have also experienced one foal who got into the salt having diaheria almost watery but as soon as the salt was removed things went back to normal this was a couple of years ago.

I too had the salt problem and the foal was better very quickly after putting salt out of her reach. It began to clear up withing the first 24 hours.

Hi Marcy!

I have had mares that won't come in heat at all while nursing a foal!
default_wacko.png
default_yes.gif

Well I just took the salt away today so hopefully I will know tomorrow if that is it. I sure hope so.

Glory just came into heat and little Erica is 2 months old now.

Rhythm last year didn't come into heat until Gracie Lou was 30 days old.

Latest posts

Back