What Is The Future For The Miniature Horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pinto offers gymkhana driving classes - barrels, poles, flag race and i think keyhole. No reason others couldn't offer them too. An ADS cones class can be pretty exciting too and lots of fun to train for! We like Progressive Cones - the distance between the cones gets smaller with each pair on the course - because minis can compete well against the bigs. And don't get me started on the fun you can have with a plastic sled in the snow! There are really unlimited possibilities of fun things to do with minis.

Well it sounds like we need open miniature horse shows, or say anything under 48" show. I got started in all-breed open horse shows, and they were fun and they accepted the minis, the one that I was big with was with the ABRA. Able to do halter, color, lounge line, showmanship and trail. It was fun but it was costing almost as much as the AMHR shows so I stopped. But these fun classes would be awesome to have at the registry shows but I don't see it happening. Which is why I suggested a open mini/pony shows. Get together in groups and come up with fun classes. I know if they were close to me I would be very interested as I would love to take a break from the registry shows. Bring out the senior horses that have been there done that at the AMHR shows and just have fun. Thats why I would loved to do CDE in the future. But these open shows would be great for new comers, get outside people interested in the minis. It would also be great if clubs could do this to get new people involved withe the registry. And keep it financial friendly.

Hopefully these Carriage classes will be big for AMHR, I think t would get new people or bring people back to the registry.

Well, we tried having open classes at one of our AMHR shows, for two years-we put in several open classes for 46" and under --halter, showmanship, driving and--the first year--pleasure saddle. We did not allow cross wntry with the AMHR and ASPC classes to encourage owners with grade horse's to show without competing against those that were in the breed classes. That first year we got one grade pony for halter and driving (they also entered the second year) and we got some misfit grade minis ridden by oversize kids. That didn't look good so the second year we fldropped the saddle class. Still just one entry otherwise. This year even that entry was not coming so we dropped the classes. So--just not something that goes over well here. We do have a good number of fairs that offer mini classes--I think the entries must have papers but i could be wrong in that. I used to show Morgans at a bunch of local fairs but now that i am showing small equine I have no interest in showing at the fairs. Many of the people showing at the fairs have no interest in showing at the breed shows; a few show at both.

I thought what would be good to do, about six montys before a big, local show, would be to do a "mini show circuit" that would be open to all minis in the size range of the show. IE; 38 and under if the upcoming show was R, 34 and under if it was an A. Just have basic classes to keep it fun and moving. Like halter foal, halter yearling, Halter mare, gelding, stallion., halter champion. Performance could be hunter, jumper, obstacle in hand and driven, and some pleasure driving classes along with perhaps reinsmanship. Could do a possible split of youth, amateur, and open for the performance classes and then have high point and reserve like the big horse horse shows do. Then do an overall HP champion at the end of six months. Then the following month would be the big, registered show. The benifits to this are many and would include, schooling opportunity for the registered horses, learning experience for newbies, possible sales for registered stock, getting people pumped up for the real deal show. And show attire could be relaxed to make it a fun deal, with no pressure to newbies to have to buy expensive clothes, halters, harnesses or carts. Clean, safe and tidy yes, expensive, no.

I would support such a show series if it was local and the fees were kept minimal.

I agree with what you are saying and this phrase really jumped out at me. Minis are the only 'breed' of horse or type of animal that I can think of that instead of considering an animal not worth keeping intact people will instead think it is not worth the 'investment' to geld it. Along with that attitude comes the inclination to think it is also 'not worth the money to worm, give vet and farrier care, feed good food too and ultimately even spend time with.
That's because so many people think just because minis are small they can keep that boy intact and it's no problem as it would be with a full size horse and then they can make more minis and sell them for some money or have the joy of bringing a foal into the world without a a thought that foals require training and much more. I see so many "studs" being offered for sale for next to nothing when what they need is to be gelded and taken out of the breeding population. And just because you have a mare doesn't mean she has to make babies.

And a horse that comes from good lines doesn't in and of itself make it breeding quality. Even two titled parents can produce a pet quality offspring from time to time so when I see ads saying top lines, etc., it doesn't mean in and of itself that you have a breeding quality horse but a lot of newbies get sucked into thinking just because their mini has so and so for a grandsire or great grandsire then they have a top horse. There's a lot to learn before you actually start putting foals on the ground to sell. And a lot to learn before you send that horse to a trainer as well.

And of course there are those of us looking at 500.00 minis and those of us looking at 10,000.00 minis and the two groups will never meet and have different perspectives on what makes a quality horse.

In the end, you need to think about your finances, the room you have, whether you are in a position to keep a foal if you can't find the right home and what your expectations are for that foal and then to each their own about their personal decisions to breed.

I think a great future for miniature horses would be local, open fun shows for registered and unregistered horses. Driving, games, in-hand classes, jumping. There are lots of backyard horses and people who don't want to compete in the big breed shows (or don't have registered horses) who would probably come to affordable and fun local shows. I would.

Just this last weekend our local club (Land of Enchantment Miniature Horse Club) sponsored a 2 day AMHA, AMHR show that offered open classes for any equine under 48 inches. Some classes had 3-4 horse, others 1 or none. We also offered a cones scurry and barrels. Our mini world will only grow if we offer classes for a variety of small equines and a place that beginners can go to experience some fun and success. IMO

I am a small miniature horse farm and have produced 2 foals and hardshipped my champagne miniature mare. Because of the current market I have not been able to sell so did not breed for 2014 and do not think I will for 2015 either until one of my fillies sells for the correct price for the quality. We got into minis for my son who is disabled they are great therapy for him. The champagne mare was hardshipped for him and the fact that she may be a new line in the champagne miniatures. When will we breed her not sure but for now my son can learn and enjoy her and our other minis. I enjoy them too but I want to make sure my foals go to the correct home. There are so many available that for now not breeding is probably the best choice or if you do decide to breed do it for you not to sell to preserve the quality and genetic diversity of our minis. Fads come and go but quality should be forever. As far as the market only time will tell.

Here's another thought: Clinics.

When I was a 4H leader looking for more members for our club, it was brought to my attention that most of the kids didn't have a clue about shows and showing. Eager to please, I then started holding clinics and mock shows before the real season show kicked in. We did build quite a membership once the kids and parents knew what it was all about.

Perhaps if there were more clinics, it could draw some new blood.

As long as there are people who love minis there will be minis. This will be my 17th year in minis. I have definitely felt exactly what you are experiencing. Yes, I think they will bring financial loss. If I didn't trim our own, hay my parents field, and pasture in our entire meager acreage there is no way I'd own a horse, any horse of any size. If I cared about what farm xyz did with their horses I would have given it up long ago. No ribbon or trophy could change the Love of my horses, so I don't show. Wrong time in my life with the ages of my kids and our finances. I think the 34" and under crowd is seeing great flux. AMHR seems to have its advantages. However, I don't do fads, and under 34" is going to be my breeding program until further notice. AMHA is my registry. As for foaling, do it for yourself. My number has been between 5 and 10 since I was 18, and if I don't have space to keep I won't breed. I will go years between breeding even though raising and training foals is my passion.

Risk mitigation: There are a couple of things breeding while living in the northern chill has taught me. I never purposely breed for a foal to be born earlier than May. It's too blasted cold, the horses are at the height of shedding, the mares body needs the bloom of dandelions and lush grass to ready herself for foaling and lactation after a soul-sucking Winter. I had one foal in April and I will never do that again. I slept in the barn pre heat lamp and thought I was going to die. The cord snapped prematurely during the birth and both mare and foal lost a lot of blood. If you've ever experienced blood loss you know it makes you cold. Set up with a heat lamp for the pair and rigged up a little Penn State sweater for the foal. Likewise, I had one in August and one in September. Also big mistakes on my part. However, nothing you do or do not do is going to prevent losses. As mom's we risk our lives to bring babies into the world. The mares and foals are also at risk. That is the nature of birth. You just pray but suck happens, it is inevitable.

I am so psyched by these posts. Miniature horse people are the TRUE horse people. We don't necessarily need to ride to love horses. Minis are not worth it from a financial standpoint, but they are emotionally worth it. I experience daily adventures with mine, and they help bring me down to earth. I'm raising my boys with horses; reading the post has cemented my resolutions e to continue to raise them around horses! You know, our Winter was horrible. I'm still traumatized. Hang in there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Curiosity question here...when you say you have a lifetime contract to take the dog back....do you BUY the dog back? Or is the owner expected to give the dog back?
Sorry, been quite busy and missed your question.

We are essentially co-owners of the dogs for life. Which means, we take responsibility for them and they cannot be resold nor rehomed nor taken to a shelter without permission (which of course is not granted - we will rehome them or care for them ourselves).

The ONE time we have acted on the dog's behalf we offered a refund on their deposit, which they refused. First rate people, just ran into unforeseen difficulties. It happens. We scrambled and found an appropriate home.

This is probably not necessary in the mini world (and certainly not customary) but I hope something of that sort may be food for thought, since so many horses are facing the same kinds of ends as so many dogs.

It's a safety net. For the animal.

Here's another thought: Clinics.

When I was a 4H leader looking for more members for our club, it was brought to my attention that most of the kids didn't have a clue about shows and showing. Eager to please, I then started holding clinics and mock shows before the real season show kicked in. We did build quite a membership once the kids and parents knew what it was all about.

Perhaps if there were more clinics, it could draw some new blood.
Clinics would be great, in my area there are none unless I want to go 3+ away or more. There are tons and tons of big horse clinics, dressage, cross country, jumper etc you name it there is a clinic around here for it in a reasonable distance and with well known trainers.

Sorry, been quite busy and missed your question.

We are essentially co-owners of the dogs for life. Which means, we take responsibility for them and they cannot be resold nor rehomed nor taken to a shelter without permission (which of course is not granted - we will rehome them or care for them ourselves).

The ONE time we have acted on the dog's behalf we offered a refund on their deposit, which they refused. First rate people, just ran into unforeseen difficulties. It happens. We scrambled and found an appropriate home.

This is probably not necessary in the mini world (and certainly not customary) but I hope something of that sort may be food for thought, since so many horses are facing the same kinds of ends as so many dogs.

It's a safety net. For the animal.
I have often purchased back ponies and horses that I've sold. In a couple of cases, I found purchasers whom I felt would match the pony, took them to the current owner and let them hash out the purchase details.

I once had a pair of full sisters that I'd sold, offered back to me - they'd grown up and had loads of excellent training and mileage in single, pair and 4 up driving for pleasure, on trails and were competitive in CDE up past the beginner levels (not sure what they were presented in). I simply could not afford what the woman was asking for them and she wasn't willing to work out a payment plan. So the pair was split up. That was a number of years ago. Recently, they were "reunited" as a pair and will be driving again at local drives and CDE's. I have been happy to keep up with them and most of the other ponies and horses I've sold over the years. I've lost track of some...

With some of my "beginner" ponies/minis, I've found leasing works better. There are many families that ride and they don't want minis/ponies forever. So, I've found a nitch with a couple of ours that is filled by leasing. When that child or family outgrows my pony, she comes home. I have always done this with mares, except for 3 geldings. When I was breeding/raising cross bred ponies - I had a couple of families that would bring one back and take another that was larger until again they were outgrown (3 of our young geldings got lots of mileage this way, when returned home they were sold at a higher price than I would have gotten previously). I liked this - I retained ownership of my mares, yet when I wasn't breeding them they were doing something after my own family outgrew them for riding and then when they returned home I went back into breeding the smaller shetlands again. I also leased our shetland stallion out for two years this way. It was a win/win situation for us. A few of the leases were paid, most were "free". I agreed to allow the mares to be bred for a couple of families - I did the paperwork to register the foal that were registrable (one mare wasn't a shetland/mini). I even sent the ponies own equipment with her in some cases, which came back home when she did. I have not had problems doing this - though in two different cases I picked up the pony much earlier than we'd expected to. One, the little boy had grown too much and also lost interest in riding; the second, the grandmother who leased and maintained the pony came down very ill and wasn't able to keep her. I picked both up - 10 years apart in our leasing program.
default_smile.png
I have leased horses that I've had great experiences with and a couple that were returned early.

Latest posts

Back