What is the difference between these hays:

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Coastal Bermuda hay and Bermuda hay?

I've used coastal bermuda hay in Florida and hate it and will not use it.

But now I've seen some hay around here that is just called "Bermuda" that looks really nice.

So does anyone know the difference?

I want to say that they are the same thing.... just depends how its grown and how its processed/baled. There are some people that talk about how HORRIBLE fescue is, and how its only suitable for cattle. There are others who talk about how fescue is second in quality only to legumes like alfalfa.

As you know Marty, Coastal is a staple in Florida. There is really no difference between the two. Really all in the same family. Yes, some is just much nicer than other just like any other type of hay. I pretty much hate it myself because it can be way to fine. But every now and then you can run into some pretty nice stuff.

But here is a read.....

Coastal Bermuda, Coastal, Bermuda

Last edited by a moderator:
Coastal is just a variety/hybrid of bermudagrass..

There's seeded varieties:

* Arizona Common

* Cheyenne

* Wrangler

* Giant

and then you have your hybrid varieties:

* Midland 99

* Midland

* Coastal

* Tifton 44

* Tifton 85

Here we grow/bale our own Bremuda and it's the Tifton versions. We fertilize it, and cut it before while it's still short - medium height so it's not stemy and is soft and fine.

Tested at 16% protein and they all stay fat and sassy on it and only it during winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone that's what I thought.

Carol, I've had coastal bermuda that is way too fine and some other stuff way too coarse.....

It's the "HAY PAIN" I call it.

Thanks everyone that's what I thought.

Carol, I've had coastal bermuda that is way too fine and some other stuff way too coarse.....

It's the "HAY PAIN" I call it.
Yes Marty........you can get some real course "garbage" tifton/coastal. Full of all sorts of weeds and sticks. Of course the finer/softer stuff is better for the little ones, but big horses can get impacted on the stuff.

Erica, that is what is grown mostly down here too and you can really find some nice stuff. We have fields of tifton everywhere all up through the south.

Pretty much all we can get here too.....some good and some lousy, more of the latter in the last year or so it seems.

Jan

I didn't know there was a difference in the hay.

We have had problems getting good hay in the past. This year has been better thankfully!

In the area of Fl where I'm at the bermuda is a bit harder to come by but its usually much nicer than the coastal when found. The quality of the hay around her varies so greatly from truckload to truckload that I'm always juggling. I prefer T&A or O&A, but if its a late cutting and stalky like straw it is of little value to me as I end up raking the bulk of it back up and throwing it over to my neighbors cows. When its like that I will then resort to buying coastal or bermuda and mixing it with alfalfa and making my ownd blend.

I can only find coastal here, and like Jan said sometimes it is good and sometimes it is terrible. Mostly it has been bad........looks more like straw. Finally got some that I could smell. At $9.50 a small bale it should be good.......but it's not...and I'm sure the price will go up with the cost of fuel.

Latest posts

Back