What is the difference between elimination, disqualification, and faults?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Faults are points against you for a refusal at a jump(3pts), knocking a pole down(4pts), or in halter/driving obstacle the judge can assign faults for each obstacle done to less than perfection. Basically a grading system.

You can get disqualified for 3 refusals at a jump or obstacles, entering or leaving at the wrong place, lameness, etc....

Elimination is when there are LOTS of horses in the class and the judges work smaller groups to eliminate the majority. Then they bring back the smaller "Final Go" to set the final placings

Since you weren't specific as to whether you were referring to Halter or Performance classes, I'll mention the halter side of it too.(at least to the way I have always understood them)

FAULTS: This can be anything that does not conform to the Breed Standard of Perfection. So for example, cow hocks, ewe neck, weak hip, can all be considered faults. You can still show in the class(es) but if there are other horses with less faults, they may place over you, and possible even be the cause of your ELIMINATION.

ELIMINATION: This would be if there are 20 in a class, and only 2 are chosen in the end..Champion and Reserve Champion as an example. Because the judge(s) felt they were, in the judge's eye, closer to the Standard of Perfection, they stayed in and were placed in those two available positions, thus, ELIMINATING the remainder of the class, which would be 18 in this example, and those 2 would go on to compete further.

DISQUALIFICATION: This would be totally excused from the class for a reason of a disqualifying fault or behavior, as set out in the Breed Standard and/or Show/Association/Registry Rules. Examples may be cyptorchid in a mature stallion, bad bite, or ill mannered behavior while in the ring etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barefootin's description of ELIMINATION also happens in Halter Classes, where there are so many entries that they have to split the class.

If you wish to talk ADS

Elimination - You messed up and are out for this competition (dressage, cones, marathon) but can still compete in the rest of the competitions

Disqualification - Pack up and go home

Retired - I quit this competition because I am totally lost. Still eligible for the others

Withdrawn - I didn't show up.

Latest posts

Back