What is the best way to display your foals?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
When people come out to look If they just want info that is fine and I take them for a tour and tell them what I know. But when they are coming out to buy I try to determine waht they are looking for and take it fom that point. I like for people to see my foals playing anf acting like horses. Then take them in and get hands on interaction. But I am starting to think that is now what people want. I just wanted to get opinions on how others handle potential buys. It seems like they just want to watch and point and say, "I want that one!"

We like for people to look at them close up and we have chairs so they can sit and pet them. We try to keep separate the ones for sale cause they always say I want that one and its not for sale. I show them their teeth and legs and how they act on halter and if they have kids make sure the kids aren't afraid. I am picky about where my babies go & am in no hurry to sell as I like to see how they develop. I have been fortunate to have sold all mine in Kansas so far so I get to see them grow
default_yes.gif
I will then release them into the field with the herd so they can see how they act and move and run. I try to educate folks BEFORE buying so they don't call a week later and say "I don't like it" You would be surprised at the amount of IMPULSE buying by ADULTS...and their are enough bad breeders out their that will take people for their money and say "SEE YA" I want people to recommend my minis to others...OH, WELL...what was the question?
default_wacko.png

I separate my sale horses from the ones NOT for sale, so there is no focus on NON SALE horses.

I usually put mamas and sale babies in one SMALL pen. I have a couple portable pens that the babies can not get out of( the rails are close together) Babies and mamas in one and other sale horses in the other. I halter all the horses and have lead lines ready especially when there are kids, so that they can walk the horses around. I leave out a few brushes also so the kids can brush the horses. It is fun for the kids and I get the feel of if the kids are terrified or not.

I talk as we walk, as I feel like there is less pressure rather than sitting down in the house and doing a sales pitch.

After they are done, I let all the horses out together and we walk around the horses and walk up to them showing that they are easy to catch and handle.

THE BEST GIMMICK..... especially if they are buying for the kids.....Get a poloroid instant camera and take pics with the horses and kids and GIVE them the PICTURES to go home with and OBSESS OVER! If you do not have that kind of camera, take some pics of the horses and their kids and EMAIL them right away, to the people with a quick note saying that you enjoyed meeting them(if you did!)

Good Luck!

Robin

You guys are so lucky to have hands on with the buyer.

It seems more and more, just internet contact, people wanting pictures from all directions, vidoes, and question after question.

Some are not that far away, but still do not come, just emails after emails?

I am guessing just being nosey & might not be interested in buying?

Must be so careful now adays if people do come, insurance wise, and virus wise.

I was just thinking the other day when my hay was delivered from a feed store, and he said my facilities was nice and easy to get around and not so dark. I thought after he left, wonder what farm he had been into before coming here, so easy to pass on viruses, from boots, hands etc.
default_yes.gif

THE BEST GIMMICK..... especially if they are buying for the kids.....Get a poloroid instant camera and take pics with the horses and kids and GIVE them the PICTURES to go home with and OBSESS OVER! If you do not have that kind of camera, take some pics of the horses and their kids and EMAIL them right away, to the people with a quick note saying that you enjoyed meeting them(if you did!)

Good Luck!

Robin
What a great idea!

We have quite a number of horses and it's difficult to pull each one for sale from every group......They are pastured according to their age, sex, their feeding needs, or if they are in with a stallion, or pregnant, etc..... So we tend to take people on a "walk-about". The poloriod or the quick e-mail shots off the digital would be a GREAT reminder to them, I would think.

I do the pic thing too!! It really does help. I have learned the hard way do not put sold ones with unsold ones!!! I have someone coming out and they have 7 kids!!! That is so over whelming for me. I usually just have them contact me after the tour. I never call them after they leave or hound them. I just feel sometimes people get over whelmed and find it hard to decide.

we usually just have people out to see and interact with the foals

no pressure here, even if you don't want to buy you are welcome to come

and see our minis. We do not separate them sold and not sold, Mom and foal

just go out with the other mares after they have had some alone time for a couple weeks.

Our geldings and stallions are separate but thats all.

They are quite good at selling themselves foals are just so sweet and friendly

Just put some time into making them people friendly, we work on halter training

and hope to have the foal going for a walk without mom for 10-15 minutes at 2 months old

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay l'm a bit different and after you call or email and tell me what you are looking for l either have it or l don't...everything is up front from price to mature height and money back or credit then you can come out and see if it's to your liking...to many people love to use you as a Sunday visit stop with there kids and l have a life outside the barn...so far so good this week l sold last years 2 geldings 2 mares with foals at side 1 to be bred older mare and a new 2008 colt...the footwork was done before anyone even got here. Now thats not to say they can't see the others roaming the place but l prefer people knew what they were after to begin with..
default_biggrin.png
whatever works is good. l know when l'm looking l know what l want and only go to places where they have what l'm after..

we usually just have people out to see and interact with the foals

no pressure here, even if you don't want to buy you are welcome to come

and see our minis. We do not separate them sold and not sold, Mom and foal

just go out with the other mares when they have had some alone time.

Our geldings and stallions are separate but thats all.

They are quite good at selling themselves foals are just so sweet and friendly

Just put some time into making them people friendly, we work on halter training

and hope to have the foal going for a walk without mom for 10-15 minutes at 2 months old
You're the kind of seller I like! The first Mini farm I visited the owner took us out to see the whole herd of mares & foals, pointed out everything that was for sale, told us about whichever horse we asked about (yes, I'd seen her website and knew sort of which horses were of interest to me, but it's still nice to see them all & compare foals & mares & see just what each stallion is siring). As a result of that visit I bought one little weanling gelding--yes, the cheapest little guy on the farm!--but also as a result of that visit I went back & bought several more horses...3 the next summer, another one in the fall, another 1 that winter, 1 the following summer and another that next fall....and another one 2 or 3 years later.... as well, that breeder has long ago become a very good friend!
Had she been the sort that said here are the two you expressed interest in via e-mail and no you can't see any of the others.....I'm afraid it would have been bye bye! and I wouldn't have bought anything.

Latest posts

Back