What is the best foal alert system?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil hoofbeats

Reaction score
What is the best Breeder /Foal alert system that you have used? Do they all work about the same? I am thinking of purchasing one, and want to know what you guys that have one think about it.

I cant tell you which one is better. I have only used one the equipage. Ive been very happy with it. I cant find the pager right now!!! So had to order one today. How can a person lose a pager?? I sure managed to darn it.

I can only say for Equipage. We have two monitors and it has never let us down. I take a lot of care of my system each year after foaling is over because it is a big investment but if cared for, lasts a long time.

The milk calcium test "Foal Watch" and a video camera... foaled 65 mares a few years ago and didn't watch any mare more than two nights, and didn't miss a single one.

I do not like the "Foal Alert"-type systems (which trigger an alarm when the mare starts to foal) since by the time the alarm sounds its too late to correct a dystocia. If you catch a problem earlier you can sometimes avoid it entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the pool strips to check milk, except for maiden mares who really do not get enough until right before foaling, along with camera and equipage. Wouldn't do it any other way. My mares that I am used to I have down to wearing the pagers for 24 to 48 hours. We have one mare last year I put the equipage on her that evening and she had her foal that night late.
default_biggrin.png
Good timing. But this year we had a maiden I think I watched forever
default_wacko.png
I have been able to correct a mispositioned foal and have it delivered healthy using the equipage.

I love my Equipage System! We have not had a single problem with it since we purchased it five years ago. It also continues to work even with power outages (which is a good thing up here in the mountains!) I really like the smaller transmitter as it fits the minis nicely just under the jaw. If I had to buy another, this would be it!
default_aktion033.gif

I vote for Equipage too! I have both that one and a Breeder Alert. Both are virtually the same thing, but the Equipage transmitters are in a better location on the mare's halter, IMO. One of those systems plus a camera can't be beat!
default_smile.png

Web camera. Seriously... I mean I'm getting calls now when she lies down. How can I sleep through her delivery??? lol

And we use the pool test strips to test the milk.

The money I spent on the cameras and Internet access... oh and the Pocket PC/phone I just bought so I can watch her during the day... are well spent.

The best one in the world in mad right here in the great north west and it is made by no other the mister Ken Porter Equipage The web sight for that is www.horsecarts.com

Bob C

I just bought the equipage with extra transmitters, so I can cover 3 mares at a time. I must say that combined with my camera is VERY nice...........But It seriously would drive me crazy if I did not have a camera too, My mares LOVE to sleep in the foaling position at night.........all day long that beeper doesn't go off once, but put them in the stalls at night, and it is beddy bye time, and they take turns setting off the beeper, if I didn't have the camera to look at them and know they where just sleeping and be able to reset the pager, I would be insane by now.........lol

So Equipage + Camera.......
default_yes.gif

Thankyou for all the response, we are looking at a Breeder Alert/ Equi-page system, they are both very similair, so looks like i will be purchasing one in the near future. We are looking at a couple of used models, they seem to be very durable, and last for many years. Both Breeder Alert, and Equi-page were very helpful today when i called and ask questions. Has anyone had thier transmitter that is on the halter get wet?

default_rolleyes.gif
I must confess I did get the halter thing soaked one year, I was in a hurry and put the monitor on the wrong rings of the halter. The mare went to get a drink and dunked it down in the water. The people at equipage were great to work with about getting a replacement in a hurry. I have three halter pieces now, I did have two and got the new one. The other one once it dried out works great. I took the batteries out and laid it out open and upside down.

Well , i did it! I bought an entire equi-page-phone system, with 6 transmitters, they are shipping it out on Monday of next week because they were back ordered. got the phone part just in case im too far away for the pager to work. Im working on getting on mare stare, that will be my next project, i guess equi-page/mare stare work well together.

Well , i did it! I bought an entire equi-page-phone system, with 6 transmitters, they are shipping it out on Monday of next week because they were back ordered. got the phone part just in case im too far away for the pager to work. Im working on getting on mare stare, that will be my next project, i guess equi-page/mare stare work well together.

Congratulations - you will love your equipage system. And yes you are absolutely right - equipage plus cams plus marestare - all go hand in hand - I wouldn't be without the whole package!!!!

We have breeder alert and really like it. The people there are really nice and a great help. We use it at both of our barns they are about a quarter of a mile apart. I use it on my mini's and daughter uses it on her percherons. We put the transmitter in a zip lock bag inside the pouch on the halter and neither the big or little have gotten it wet. They are also on camera.

Good morning!

Just a word of caution. Although any foaling alert system is beneficial in aiding in the alert of an impending delivery, please know that these units are not infallible. They can and do malfunction. Power goes out, batteries go dead, units simply don't work. There is a delay in the sending of the signal from the time the mare's head is down to foal and the time it reaches your pager. The mare could actually not lay down long enough to set the signal off, or she simply just lays down and foals before the system has time to work. Malfunctions in the construction of them can also cause a failure of these systems to work as they seem to be sensitive to dust, heat, moisture? Then there are the false alarms you will get. Once the mare lays down and sleeps it sounds the alarm, this can happen several times a night. They should only be used as an aid and not to be depended upon 100%.

Please remember to check all other signs of the mares for imminent foaling and of course observation of them. The very best way to predict her time to foal is by 24 hour visual observation.
default_smile.png

Happy foaling!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Breeder Alert (bought it used, so never looked into that vs Equipage), two cameras (one goes to a TV in my bedroom, the other to a computer), MareStare (LOOOOOVE that, that's the BEST!) and I have unused pool test strips... I have them in case my two maidens get milk in time, and for my experienced mare who should... oh, and I set my alarm to go off several times throughout the night to see what my girls are doing! I have lots of friends/family, plus many other people on MareStare, who help me watch my girls. Now, if they would just FOAL already!!!!!

Jessi

Latest posts

Back