What is it with people and

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

New_Image

Breeding horses
frusty.gif

Its no one in particular but almost every one feels the need at one point or another in there life with horses to breed and make millions.

If you use common sence you can look and see you rarley make money breeding horses even if everything goes right.

And even people who DO breed horses for what ever reason they do be it to sell, show, improve the breed, try and make money, habbit, addiction, for the love of 50 foals running around or whatever, why breed so many?

Everyone complains there is a big over population in horses (Not just Miniatures) and granted if every one stopped breeding that wouldnt be good but I just have to wonder why some people feel the need to have so many foals?

Then you have your back yard breeder who finds a pair of horses at the auction and decides they need to be bred and it continues from there, what could be going threw there head?

Ahem, Nicole, have you asked yourself this question
rolleyes.gif

Not to be totally harsh but wasnt there just a post a huge thread about you opting to breed your foal when he is old enough?

I am one of those that has been there done that.

I thoughly enjoyed every foal and learned a GREAT deal.

I am now at a point in my life where the urge to breed the next champion has completely left me.

I have horses and don't ever intend to breed unless I find a truly exceptional stallion either mini or full size.

I can afford to just have them to ENJOY.

But I would not ever try and influence someone else and THEIR dreams.

Horses and young people are a GOOD thing. They teach so many valuable life lessons.

I'm not a big breeder. We have one every year or so. Just because someone breeds their horse doesn't mean they are doing so for the money. We do it for the love of our horses and the enjoyment and anticipation a foal brings. I do not agree with people who breed for 30 or 40 foals every year and sell them just to make money or because they have good bloodlines.

I said we plan to breed for money, Like afew said, we could propably pay for the taxes with the money for the horses.. But the joy of raising your own foals & being there for the birth... & learning from the hurts & deaths... that just sounds better... funner to us
rolleyes.gif
wub.gif

(DON'T FRAME ME
sad.gif
)

well the one thing about horses be it breeding, riding, showing,driving ... everyone has there own reasons and things they get out of doing them. There are MANY different ways , thoughts, ideas and opinions... some may agree with mine some not but doesnt mean I am right and they are wrong or the other way around.. just that we are different.

Not to be totally harsh but wasnt there just a post a huge thread about you opting to breed your foal when he is old enough?

I would have to say there is a big difference in my wanting to keep the lines Image has going by breeding a few mares (My own and friends) and keeping these foals then saying I plan to breed him to make tons of money, how much money am I makeing breeding him when I am charging nothing for a stud fee and keeping my foals and then gelding him?

Don't get me wrong, put don't you have two foals on the ground now? & Ernie?....then breeding Image?

Yes I put Image here the ground by having Molly bred - I wanted one of her foals to keep forever and before I had her bred I did locate all of her other foals and see if they wanted to sell them - Lizzy came bred, I bought her 6 months preganant so that is totally different.

Ahem, Nicole, have you asked yourself this question

Is there a reason I should? I bred one mare to keep her foal forever and thats some how bad?

Any way back on the subject....

I think that back on the subject.. your reasons for otping to breed your horses are no different or more right or wrong then others opting to breed there horses doing so for money or for free neither one makes it better (or worse)

I think that back on the subject.. your reasons for otping to breed your horses are no different or more right or wrong then others opting to breed there horses doing so for money or for free neither one makes it better (or worse)

I didnt say my reason was right or wrong or better or worse and that wasnt the topic I started.

I honesty dont know what you all have against Image breeding a few mares to keep the only Puchilingui x Dodgers Playboy line going, I plan to keep the ones I breed as "Molly's forever"

I would love to have a baby of my own, someday, but some people just cant afford a brood mare when ever we want, The only reason why I would breed is to, have the joy, and the pride to think, I produced that baby(well the horses did, but it was cause of me) and to maybe sell the baby to by another mare, NEVER in a million years would I have horses to make money, thats not fair to the horses! I love EVERYTHING to do with miniature horses, and I LOVE horse babies, if I made money GREAT, but I am not expecting to EVER make money, I just hope I can make enough to buy more mares, or make nicer shelters or to help pay for vet bills ect. but I would NEVER breed a horse, expecting it to give me ANY money for my own, all the money I make of my horses, will go RIGHT back into my horses, If a responsible breeder did what they are saposed too, then there would be very few horses that are in hobile situations(I understand, that sometimes that is unpredictible, so if someone happened to have a bad situatation with a horse they sold, I am not saying you are a irisposible breeder) some people just let there horses to go, to make money, and it shouldnt be done, I hope to have my own farm someday, and I have not even THOUGHT about making money, and if I made any at all, it will go right back into my horses, people are starting to think that horses are money, and its wrong!

You must not know how bad it feels to want your own horse baby (or horse) or you wouldnt think that, you know how much fun it is to have a foal, I see everyone else having fun with all the foal babies, and yet I cant even make enough money to buy one brood mare to breed to my colt, it will take me at least two years to make enough money to get a perfect mare for my colt (he'll be 2 in two years, so its perfect time)most mares I like are not for sale, or to much money, but once in a while I see a mare I would LOVE to have, but have to look at it and make my self not get my hopes up

-Gage-

Palomino88 said:
I didnt say my reason was right or wrong or better or worse and that wasnt the topic I started.

I honesty dont know what you all have against Image breeding a few mares to keep the only Puchilingui x Dodgers Playboy line going, I plan to keep the ones I breed as "Molly's forever"

458897[/snapback]

were not againt it, just trying to make a point, and what you are asking why people HAVE to breed, is the same thing you are doing!

-Gage-

The fact of the matter is that there are all kinds on here. Some think that all breeding should be done by those who are making a living at it. Those that think that breeding one or two mare a year are back yard breeders and shouldn't do it. Those that think only horses who have been shown and are halter champions should be breed. Others think that only horses that are champions in driving should be bred. Others that think a horse should be champions of both. Some think that just because you love a mare doesn't mean you need to have one of her foals since there are so many good minis out there that need good homes. Some think that nobody should bred anything because there are so many minis out there that don't have homes. Who is right? What is the right reason to breed? Are some reason really more noble than others? If the horses are being taken care of does it matter?

What is sooo wrong about breeding mare for Just Wanting to?? If both animals are fed and taken care so what is the big deal? Why is it that when things like this comes on the board there is no no no you shouldn't Well if it your own animal and you want to have a baby to keep the line going or just for the sake of raising a baby... So be it.. It should be nobodies else's business what peoples do as long as they care for and love those animals~!

shminifancier said:
What is sooo wrong about breeding mare for Just Wanting to?? If both animals are fed and taken care so what is the big deal? Why is it that when things like this comes on the board there is no no no you shouldn't  Well if it your own animal and you want to have a baby to keep the line going or just for the sake of raising a baby... So be it.. It should be nobodies else's business what peoples do as long as they care for and love those animals~!
458905[/snapback]

I agree with you 100%
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

-Gage-

Well as nice as Image is, he is still a grade if I read right that Puchilingui is a TB--purebred on both sides or not.

I'm sure Puchilingui x Dodgers Playboy line have plenty of representation and certainly is not going to die out if you don't breed.

Anyway back to the subject--you are breaking most all the "rules" you are griping about but of course I guess they only apply to others not you which is usually the case with someone your age.

edited for duplication

Last edited:
Palomino88 said:
I

458897[/snapback]

I am not saying you should or shouldnt breed your horse I am simply saying that going to your original question WHY BREED well many have the same reasons or perhaps different then yours but feel just as justfied as you do so I am not sure why you find that hard to understand is all.

Everyone does it for there own reasons and everyone that does so beleives there reasons are right
smile.gif

this is a really hard subject! I myself have been asked many times how i can run a rescue and be a breeder too. The answer is I wanted to give something back. This is why I also say that every breeding farm should have at least one rescue on the farm. We have to give back to what we love

Why do i want to breed?? Because i am so PASSIONATE about horses, not just breeding them but everything about them. I live eat and breath horses. IMO you have to have this passion or youll be out in a couple years. Having the horrible foaling season we had this year about did me in. I gave alot of thought to wether I should stop breeding because my heart was so broken.

When i first got in minis i had a long discussion with Lowell Boone on wether you could still make money in minis. To make a very long story short he said you should turn a profit the 4th year if you have bought the absolute best horses you can and you promoted your farm and built a reputation. I think hes almost right. We were off to a very good start this year (0ur 4th year) If we had not lost most of our foals we would have had a very good year. But this is the thing---its not something you can count on. You never know what a foaling season will or will not bring. Especially a small farm like mine. When you are only breeding 3-5 mares and you only have one live foal, you cant absorb it like a big farm that has 30 foals and loses 5.

What concerns me is if i see someone buying up medicore horses and breeding to a medicore stallion and then planning on selling 500.00 foals. Our first rescues at CMHR was a farm exactly like this. When i first met them they were so happy that they could get 500 per foal and bred like 10 mares per year. After a couple years disaster struck. Mares got sick. Foals died. They got overwhelmed with paperwork so just stopped filling it out. Hay prices went up. Add in a couple large vet bills and wham. they couldnt wait to get rid of those horses. So then they called wanting to know how many i wanted to buy
smile.gif
By the time we went back i couldnt believe how conditions had slipped. I could see the resentment on the owners faces and saw a pasture full of depressed thin mares with thin foals on their side. Its a story that happens over and over.

Anyway sorry to write a book but just some random thoughts.

Sorry there is no difference, just your perspective seems to be a bit "loftier" when it comes to other people.

Triggy AQHA just (2005) redid the white rule, as in there isn't one anymore. Even if Image came out as spotted as his sire he could still have AQHA papers. Though "spots" can get in AQHA made a special note in the 2005 AQHA rulebook (going off the cuff as I don't have it with me) "ven though horses with excessive white are eligible for registration they should be considered undesirable for breeding and not conforming to AQHA standards." BUT when Molly was bred Nichole did not know that (remember that thread vividly) and did not care if she was going to have a grade baby, so much for preserving the lines.
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back