What is it with people and

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why have I bred my ponies? Well, when I was a teen, I did think I could make money (silly me!) to help pay for college. That did not happen!
rolleyes.gif
Anyhow, now if/when I breed it is to enjoy having a foal around to work with and to give enjoyment to other people. I recently sold 2 to some people (who have worked with horses/ponies before) for their grandkids. I am thrilled that some of the ponies I bred/raised are going to be out there bringing joy to children!

My horses are my relaxation. I enjoy taking care of them. I really enjoy looking up pedigrees and researching bloodlines. I enjoyed making my own website and updating it. I enjoy seeing my babies born and seeing them learn new things day by day. I enjoy seeing them blossom to young adults and then to maturity. Sometimes they reflect what I had in mind when I planned the breeding - sometimes not. I enjoy making adjustments to my breeding program when needed. I enjoy seeing my daughter showing more and more interest like I have in our minis- especially the babies. I like making other people happy when they buy my foals and are enjoying them when I check on them. I love updates from buyers.

I guess I breed because I enjoy it- it's my hobby. The results of my hobby (foals) make other people happy. Luckily more often than not the profits from the sale of my babies pays for the yearly expenses of my little herd or in a year with one foal the profit covers the next years hay bill.

Anyway- that's why I breed (and I have my five minis in my backyard and I don't show anymore).

Tammie

My horses are my relaxation. I enjoy taking care of them. I really enjoy looking up pedigrees and researching bloodlines. I enjoyed making my own website and updating it. I enjoy seeing my babies born and seeing them learn new things day by day. I enjoy seeing them blossom to young adults and then to maturity.

I agree Tammie
wub.gif

But I can see where Nicole is coming from too (if I'm wrong Nicole let me know!
unsure.gif
). I think what she is saying is that some breed too many and have alot of foals at once for sale.

Now this is just my opinion....there are some breeders who have alot of foals every year and this year I feel the market is down. I've seen Mini Colts that are AMHR registered on some websites for sale for $500!!! That really hurts us small time breeders who only have a few foals for sale every year. There is no way I'm selling my Colt or any of my Mini's for $500, unless they were non-registered or pet quality horses. I feel my Mini's have pretty good bloodlines. The larger farms keep the prices low because they have many foals to sell, the smaller farms can't compete with those prices.

Selling foals and making a profit?? I highly doubt it....if anything you "might" break even...if your lucky! LOL
laugh.gif

That is what I am trying to say Cheryl - thankyou.

Triggy, Image is not grade he is AQHA and IBHA.

Minicount, I was planning on Image being a filly and breeding him to my neibors stallion weater "she" was registered or not years down the road to have a Molly grand foal for ever - however Image is very much a colt and is infact going to be registered.

I am not talking about breeding him to have 50 foals a year, Im not breeding him to make money, Im not breeding two pet quality horses that I found at a auction, and THOSE are what I was talking about in my original post if you care to look back up there.

I just dont see what you all have against breeding Image or how I am doing anything I said botherd me above! I said people who have a lot of foals when the market is so low (Like Cheryl said so well) bugs me, People who breed two conformationaly in correct pet horses and try to sell the foal, bothers me, so why is this being turned around that I am terrible because I want a couple foals from a well bred, double registered, quality horse, to keep the foals from or give people who want there mares bred to a quality horse but cant afford $2,000 stud fees (Two of my best friends to be exact)

Good greif forget I brought up the question people!

I don't hear people saying that you should not breed your horse. I hear people saying that there are a lot of reasons for breeding a horse and who are we to judge.

A "good quality" horse is pretty subjective. Unless you are talking about national champion halter horses, most would agree that they are good quailty. I am sure that almost all of us would agree that Buckeroo what a good quality horse, or some of the other top stallions in our breed too. Speaking of quarter horses though, I know several qh people that are not all the impressed with Impressive. Same goes with every breed.

My point is that you may feel that your horse is a good quality horse. Not everybody would, but it is your horse and if you feel that it is important to you to keep his line alive by breeding to some of your friends horses, well you are entitled to the opion. Other may disagree. Some feel that unless you stallion is going to add something to the entire breed, such a Buckeroo did, you should not breed.

Some big farms are producing really good horses. Some small breeder produce really great horses. Some pet quality horses increase their human's quality of living a lot. I had a grade mare and she was the best. I love the mare so much. I am thankful to who ever bred her because my life would have been very much different if she had not been in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't post much or say much, and no one really knows me, but threads such as these, make me want to hide and only be a reader again. Goodness sakes, I hope I never say anything wrong or have someone misunderstand if I phrase something incorrectly.

Just when I started to join in.

Just my 2 cents.
no.gif

I think unless I missed it what Nicole....is trying to get at is.......people who are breeding and selling lots of horses with no clue on any kind of breeding program
wacko.gif
Breeding whatever to whoever and selling the foals for nothing.........makes it hard for the ones of us who are trying to produce a well bred horse to get a decent price.........and for the record I'm not bashing anybody who does produce alot of foals as long as they're breeding there animals with careful consideration for the breed or breeds
rolleyes.gif
this can be said with any animal for that matter...........Carrie

I personally thing that everybodys choices in there breeding is there own business.

Opps Miss Nic, you kinda opened up a little can of worms on yourself, but not to worry kid, you're still all good and so are your intentions.
wub.gif
You are loving, and carring, and far more responsible than many adult horse owners that I know, and you and your family go the extra mile to care for your animals and they are never begrudged one thing they need so for the life of me I wish some people would just chill for pete's sakes and go make a nice hot cup of tea.

I love SHminifancier's post: What is sooo wrong about breeding mare for Just Wanting to?? If both animals are fed and taken care so what is the big deal?
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

What I do on my property with my animals is my business and I certainly don't think for a minute that I am hurting the Miniature Horse industry one bit. I feel that if I bring a foal into this world and am a responsible owner and love and care for him 100% then it's just fine for me to do so.

I see that joy that Timmy brings me every minute of every day I just can't wait to breed for more foals in the future. I will continue to upgrade my horses and do so until I am not financially or physically capable to provide for them properly up to my standards of care. When someone else starts paying my horse bills for me that's when they can stick their nose into my business and not a minute before.

AMEN

Is your horse a descendent of Impressive? Have you have had him tested for the Impressive Syndrome?

"He has also been linked to a genetic mutation that only recently has been implicated in the rare but burgeoning - and sometimes fatal - muscular disorder known as hyperkalemic periodic paralysis. This particular defect is a dominant condition, meaning that at least half of the affected horses' offspring will be affected as well. In the words of one prominent Quarter Horse trainer, this discovery was "one of the most devastating things that has ever hit the horse industry."

If this is the case, you may want to rethink your breeding him.

shminifancier said:
Ashley said:
I personally thing that everybodys choices in there breeding is there own business.
458999[/snapback]

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
That is what I said also!~

459023[/snapback]

I think this whole topic started casue the original poster.. questioned what was others buisness in choosing to breed? NOt that anyone is arguing everyone's right to do what they want to

Is your horse a descendent of Impressive? Have you have had him tested for the Impressive Syndrome?

Image is not related to Impressive, what made you think that
wacko.gif
Here is his pedigree Pedigree Link No Impressive.

Thanks Marty
cheekkiss.gif

EDIT: Missed that, yes something like that Carrie ( Cherokee Rose )

Last edited:
Boy, I am feeling the same way
sad.gif
The putting down of others is saddening to say the least.
unsure.gif
Mary

whiskeyranch said:
I don't post much or say much, and no one really knows me, but threads such as these, make me want to hide and only be a reader again. Goodness sakes, I hope I never say anything wrong or have someone misunderstand if I phrase something incorrectly.Just when I started to join in.

Just my 2 cents.
no.gif

458978[/snapback]

Buckskin gal said:
sad.gif
unsure.gif
Mary

Well I know awhile ago I got dumped on fair or not I won't go into it. But I kept clear for awhile now nobody will chase me away again.. no matter how hard they hit back. I will not bend, I will not break, I will not shy away.. But some time away was cool.

Wish I could do that...just not so strong.
sad.gif
Mary

shminifancier said:
Buckskin gal said:
sad.gif
unsure.gif
Mary

Well I know awhile ago I got dumped on fair or not I won't go into it. But I kept clear for awhile now nobody will chase me away again.. no matter how hard they hit back. I will not bend, I will not break, I will not shy away.. But some time away was cool.

459041[/snapback]

Speaking of quarter horses though, I know several qh people that are not all the impressed with Impressive. Same goes with every breed.
This is the statement that led me to think he was Impressive Bred. Sorry for the confusion.

This forum Thanks to Mary L. and others, has now topped the 3,000 person mark..There is no way with this many people that you are going to agree with 100% of them and that is why some posts get quite heated at times....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back