What is considered a dangerous temp in an adult

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
I feel too crappy to look real hard and I knew if I wanted a quick answer to come here. Is 104 F temp in an adult considered dangerous? Should I be calling my husband at work to have him take me to the er...I can barely stand and I've been this high for about 2 hrs.

Thanks.

Yes, call him! I don't know as much about the high temperature (sounds very high to me, though) but how you can barely stand makes me worry about you being home alone and think you should go to the hospital!

If I remember correctly, 102F id high for an adult, any higher = Hospital time, whereas children can handle up to 104F easier.

I spiked 104F several times (3, at least) and took cool baths to bring them down when I had pneumonia. The 3rd (or was it 4th?) time I plopped down on Dave on told him we had to take me to a Dr. the next day (It was like, 1am).

Good thing we did!

I had pneumonia when i was in High school and ran 104 for a week before they could get any kind of anitibotics to work. I lost a ton of weight and couldn't eat or anything. It's not a GOOD temp..but i don't believe it's "lethal" as long as it doesn't go any higher. I'd be concerned as to WHY it's so high if you have an infection or "flu/pneumonia" ect. something is causing that and it's not a good temp. You need to be on antibiotics or at least see a doctor to find out what the heck is going on! don't put it off or wait...something definatly isn't right with a temp that high!!

104 F. for an adult is considered very high.......... I would get some help.

Not sure about the temp but I hope you feel better soon. It isn't a good sign when you can't stand up. See what your hubby thinks and go from there. Keep us posted.

I'm not surprised you can barely stand up with a temp that high! I can get as high as 102 with a really bad cold, but 104 sounds like a pretty serious infection, needing at least a consult with a medical professional (and the fever regimen with aspirin/ ibuprofen.)

Praying for a quick recovery for you, whatever it is!
default_yes.gif

Well, Sonya, hopefully by now, you've called your husband and found some medical attention!!!!! YES, that is worry time in an adult. Hope you're feeling much better soon. Update when you can, that's scary.

Jodi

My hubby who is an EMT just said that anything over 102° is something to call at least your doctor's office about. If you're 103°+ you should go to the ER. Hope you got in and everything is OK. Please keep us updated.

Sonya --

I hope you got to the hospital or doctors and are starting to feel better!

Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
Sonya, I just saw this. I hope you got to a dr to find what is up?

Could be pneumonia (sp)

Urinary track infection.

That temp is high and if you feel that bad something ISNT right!!

Let us know how you are? Make your husband do it if you cant, we are worried!

Just wanted to offer some insight. First, I hope you are feeling much better and have a diagnosis as to what was going on. Second, temperature is a very subjective measurement as each person can tolerate differing temperatures for different amounts of times. Yes, anything over 102 is reason to take note. Temperatures of 104 for prolonged periods of time can actually cause damage to internal organs including your brain (think of it as slow cooking them). Kids can actually handle higher temperatures as they have a coping mechanism that allows their bodies to "jump start" themselves back into normothermia. Children will often have febrile seizures (fever seizures) which is actually the brain "restarting" itself and initiating a cooling mechanism. This doesn't mean that the problem is fixed - something still caused the fever initially and must be deal with, but the body will be able to tolerate it. Adults don't have this mechanism of recovery.

Thankyou everyone for your replies.

I didn't go to the er last night but went to the dr today, she gave me some antibiodics. My temp is down, just alittle high at 100. However next time I will go as I was very scared and feeling very wierd..almost drug liked last night, I was very weak and almost fell going to the bathroom. I fell asleep and woke up in a pool of sweat last night and my temp dropped 2 degrees so I didn't call the hubby. She said my lungs look clear. But sinuses are screwed up majorly. Just a bad infection I guess.

Thankyou everyone for your concern. I've really had it rough lately with the collarbone issues (only minor nerve damage so they won't be doing surgery as of yet) and then this. I've been sick since friday, but do feel tons better. I see another dr about my collarbone on Tues since it's not healing and it's been 7 weeks. I'm having a hard time dealing with the chronic pain, but I am managing. It's especially hard since I've quit smoking it's been over a month without a smoke and boy could I use one...but I will "persevere" as my new tattoo says!

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear your ok. I was beginning to worry when we didn't get any updates
default_unsure.png
Happy it's just a sinus infection. Hope your collar bone starts healing better too
default_yes.gif

Sonya,

I'm happy you saw the doctor and are feeling better in the fever department. I hope your collar bone will be better soon, too!!!

Good for you on quitting smoking and not giving in to the temptation. Way to go!!!

Jill

Latest posts

Back