What is a Fabella?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my Falabella stallion - Falabella Anselmo. A direct import from Argentina, he carries the Argentinian papers (ACCF) plus the British (BFS) and IMHPS. He is 31" (UK ) and is now 10 years old. The picture is a 'field' one taken a couple of years ago and I have to say that he has really only just matured this year! On his Argentinian papers he is registered as a BAYO TOSTADO which I translate as a toasted bay LOL!! I would call him liver chestnut! But have to admit that he throws multi coloured foals even from solid coloured mares. He is a gem and will be with me for ever.

By the way I heard that true Falabellas have one less rib than other horses! True or not??

ansel-1.jpg

Anna

Guess I'll chime in here with my two DRK-bred Falabella-blends... and I can agree with the "slow to mature" comment someone made - these two (full brother and sister) were wonderful as babies and yearlings, then went through an "ugly duckling" stage, and are emerging as SWANS!

This is DRK WHAT'S THE BUZZ: (Snowcap, tobiano, splash + sabino)

Buzz10-09-web.jpg

Untitled-10.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

And his little sister, DRK SHEEZE GONNA WOW YA (leopard, maybe tobiano too - not tested yet)

jwow52007-5web.jpg

Buzz is expecting his first foals in 2010 - and Wow may also be expecting (she was bred to Appy)

That is really interesting Diane, thanks for posting it. Glad to get the confirmation regarding the one less pair of ribs. Luckily my little chap Ansel (pictured in my above post) was DNA'd as genuine on entry to the Uk. But I also thought that for a horse to use Falabella as it's prefix it had to come from the Falabella stud in Argentina - or are there some unscrupulous people out there trying to pull the wool over some unsuspecting buyers?

Interestingly, I dont have any pure bred Falabella mares, but can tell easily any foals sired by Ansel from my mini mares as against the foals from my other mini boy. He mostly throws his beautiful head on his offspring and without exception, his brilliant temperament.

Anna

That is really interesting Diane, thanks for posting it. Glad to get the confirmation regarding the one less pair of ribs. Luckily my little chap Ansel (pictured in my above post) was DNA'd as genuine on entry to the Uk. But I also thought that for a horse to use Falabella as it's prefix it had to come from the Falabella stud in Argentina - or are there some unscrupulous people out there trying to pull the wool over some unsuspecting buyers?
Interestingly, I dont have any pure bred Falabella mares, but can tell easily any foals sired by Ansel from my mini mares as against the foals from my other mini boy. He mostly throws his beautiful head on his offspring and without exception, his brilliant temperament.

Anna
For a horse to use the falabella prefix is has to be breed by the falabella family because that is their prefix but for exsample if i was to breed my falabella breed horse with a falabella breed mare what ever her prefix was, the resulting foal would have my prefix " Dimundo" it would still be a miniature with full falabella breeding but not under the falabella name ...which is a prefix not a breed!!

default_smile.png

Thanks Raine, that exactly how I understood it. All my fella's offspring here carry my stud name/prefix, certainly not Falabella!!

Anna

There are only about 2500 pure Falabellas worldwide. They are rare. Those from the Argentine Falabella Ranch have ACCF registration. Those in the USA should have FMHA papers. I've been a Falabella historian for almost 20 yrs. You can visit Falabellabreeders.org for more info.

My pure mare Toyland Falabella Calita:

calita0808.JPG

Tammie

"There are many misconceptions about the Falabella horse breed. Falabellas are bred in herds of ten to fifteen mares and a stallion. When the herd is established it is moved to open fields with other herds and strong family bonds keep each herd together as a unit. Mating occurs between the family stallion and his mares. The presence of the stallion is respected by other stallions, so there is little or no fighting."

This seems a little far fetched to me. So there are fields of horses with multiple stallions and mares and there's little or no fighting or stealing of mares or mares wandering off and getting bred by another stallion?

It's interesting that they don't have a height limit.

Latest posts

Back