What I thought I bought............

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow she really is looking good1 She is a real ice looking little gal and with all the love and care you are giving her I would bet you will win her over
default_yes.gif
: Mary

She is looking much happier and healthier.

Have you asked the people you bought her from what the deal was with her? Did I miss that part?

I was just wondering what their "excuse" was for the condition she was in when she arrived and her "Don't hit me" attitude she has now.

She is looking much happier and healthier.

Have you asked the people you bought her from what the deal was with her? Did I miss that part?

I was just wondering what their "excuse" was for the condition she was in when she arrived and her "Don't hit me" attitude she has now.
I have not had any correspondence with the lady I bought her from. She told me that she was thin when she purchased her in April - and she new she was "thin" when she came to me. That is about all I know - the weight has been relatively easy to get back on this little mare (thank heavens) - I have no idea why she is so untrusting of people - this is so unlike a mini. We have another mare that was as wild as a deer when we got her - it took a while but she totally trusts us now. I can clip her, check her bag when she is due to foal, do farrier work, etc. - but it took a while before she understood that I was a friend and not someone to be afraid of.

With this little mare we will just take it slowly - who knows what she has been through - but I do know one thing for sure - at our farm she is safe and will be well loved - and that she totally deserves. Eventually she will realize that we helped her - and maybe once she can go out with the rest of the herd and meet up with her two friends - she will be happier. Of course we have had to keep her separate as we needed to feed her a special diet and needed to make sure that she didn't have to compete for food. She has bounced back quickly - so hopefully her fear of people will gradually change too!!!

She is really looking great! She is such a pretty, bright eyed girl now
default_yes.gif
:

Oh Wow!!! She is looking 100% better!!! What a pretty girl she is!! :aktion033: Great Job!! :aktion033:

Oh my gosh! You have worked a miracle!!!!!!!!

Years ago, I bought a yearling who was very underweight and very wormy and brough him "back" to good pretty quickly, too. But, he was no where near as bad off as your mare was before she met you.

She must feel like she's hit the lottery
default_smile.png

Oh my gosh, how terrible, how can anyone let that beautiful horse get like that, didn't know it was the same horse until I looked at the legs, I am so glad you have her.

She looks wonderful! What a lucky girl to have you! I hope she realizes what a great mom you are and comes around. It's so sad to see ones so not trusting. I'm glad she's with you now!

Seeing how far she's come has made my day! :aktion033:

How many owners has she had?

She was sold as a two year old (from her original breeder - who is one of the top breeders - very well known). Then she lived on another farm from the time she was two - she was bred the following year as a 3 year old. Then she was sold as a 4 year old (pregnant at the time) to the person I purchased her from. That person bought her in April/07 and she foaled a few weeks later. I purchased this mare and two others from that person - and they arrived home to our place on August 26/07. The emaciated picture of this mare was taken a week before we got her home. The mares had to stay at a friend's place just across the US/Canada border as the vet paperwork was not ready when the mares left PA - and it took many phone calls and FedEx bills to get the paperwork by the next week. So they had a layover for a week - which was very upsetting because we wanted to get them home and settled and on to a good feeding program with no stress in their lives.

So in less than two months - that little mare put on the weight that will get her through our winter. I was so worried that she wouldn't put enough weight on before the cold weather hit. But she has come back so quickly it is unbelievable. Her coat has grown a lot - in preparation for the winter - and it is shiny instead of dull.

AWESOME JOB MMMORGANS :aktion033: . SHE IS SO LUCKY TO HAVE FOUND YOU. I AM SURE IN TIME SHE WILL COME AROUND, ESPECIALLY WITH ALL THE LOVE AND ATTENTION SHE IS GETTING.
default_yes.gif
:

Congratulations on nursing her back to health so quickly! She looks super! :aktion033: I meant to ask you at World how she was doing and I forgot.

How is Y Nona doing?

Unbelieveable on 2 fronts! :no: Firstly unbelievable that someone would sell a horse in that condition - "thin" doesn't go anywhere near describing it.
default_yes.gif
: Secondly, unbelievable what you have done with this little mare since she arrived at your place. No doubt about it, she is a lucky horse to have you in her life. She will be well cared for, for sure.

She's looking GREAT!!! You should do a before and after shot next to eachother to show the difference.

Kuddos to you for bringing her back UP! :aktion033:

MA

default_wub.png
: wow

she is looking great. You have a nice looking mare. I am so glad you got her, she was so sad looking when you first got her. She is coming around very nice.

You have done a great job with her. It is so sad to know where she came from to how she (And the other 2 ) ended up, but great that she is back in good hands again.

I hope the others are doing well and recovering from what ever their terrible experience was. My mini gelding Rocky was an auction horse and although I have owned him for over 2 years, he still harbors fear from who ever beat on him once upon a time. I don't know if he will ever get over it, but we are trying.

Kudos to you for the wonderful care you've given this mare!

Would you be comfortable sharing information about the feed program you've implemented for her? If so, I think many people and horses could benefit.

Pam

Back