What I thought I bought............

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Mona, I am getting sick of seeing this- with Mini and big horses alike. There are enough Rescues out there or poeple to give them to, or SOMETHING, that to let them stand and starve, or better yet, dump them in the desert, like they seem to do here occasionally, that there is NO excuse for this at all.

As for cats, I have had folks tell me they dont feed them to make them 'hunt better'. That is also BS in my opinion. I have ALWAYS kept food and fresh water out for my cats, whether they were barn cats or whatever.. and they still hunted just fine and were HEALTHY hunters.

We moved onto a small ranch one time that as I was cleaning out the cow stalls in the barn that had not been cleaned since..... ????... dug up SEVERAL cat skeletons in the hay where it appears they laid down and died. We also found several under the house. Probably starved to death, or had no water in winter. I bet there were at least a dozen skeletons.... and they just kept hauling in more cats. There were two when we moved in there, and when we left, I found a good home for one and took the other one with me. I was not going to leave them knowing they would also starve or freeze like the others (they accused me of spoiling them because I made sure they had unfrozen water to drink in the barn in winter- animals cannot live without water!!)

Sorry got off topic, but I just cant stand seeing people not take care of ANY animals, no matter what it is. If you own it, you are responsible!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! At first I thought the first picture was posted to point out what a well cared for horse looked like and the second was of the horse you got and how they aren't supposed to look. I studied the first and second photo and realized that the first horse was the second horse. What a terrible sight in the second photo. I agree, you don't have to know about horses to tell when a horse needs more food and better care. That is just pure neglect.

I have seen this too many times, people buy an animal and for the first week or two are proud of the animal and then one day they wake up and don't want to go out in the cold and feed it. Then they see it did OK the first day so they figure it will be OK over night too. THen they get into the habit of only feeding when they are close enough to the barn that they don't have to make much effort to throw in a handful of hay. They don't stop to think that their trips to the barn went from two or more times a day down to once or twice a week.

I hate going out into the cold and dark too but that is part of animal care; you have to do what you don't want to do because the animal isn't in a position to feed and water itself.

My habit for years has been to get up, get ready for work, go out and take (full) care of the animals, go to work, come home from work and head right back out to take care of the animals. I don't just feed, water and clean, I look them over every single day. If something should be wrong I want to catch it early not when it is too late.

Even my chickens get food and water twice a day even though they free range and there are plenty of bugs and water.

I could never There is absolutely no excuse for such poor care, if a person can't even provide the basic care to keep a horse or any animal healthy then place a free ad to place the animal with someone who can. It's easier to give away a neglected animal than it is to sell a dead animal.

I'm glad you got the horse and hope to see a picture of her when she is as beautiful as she was.

OMG!!! I GASPED when I saw her picture. Thank God You have her now. Those people need to be whipped, and reported!!!

As for cats, I have had folks tell me they dont feed them to make them 'hunt better'. That is also BS in my opinion. I have ALWAYS kept food and fresh water out for my cats, whether they were barn cats or whatever.. and they still hunted just fine and were HEALTHY hunters.
You are right. Fat, well-fed cats hunt. I know, I have 2 brilliant hunters, both are fed the best, both are overweight. Hunting in cats is something that some of them like to do more so than others, it has nothing to do with their body condition, or whether or not they are well-fed.

Well, I can see that happening with farm cats, because a cat is a predator...it naturally hunts for it's food, and it CAN survive without human intervention, IF it is not declawed and IF it is living outside in the country.
I guess that's what a lot of people figure, but that's just a whole load of BS. ....:new_2gunsfiring_v1: I don't care if it's predator or prey, if it's a little rack of bones it's a pretty stupid person that can't tell that it's a starving animal, even if they don't know anything about the particular species of animal. My cats are mostly fat & all are well fed and they are marvelous hunters. But anyway, this is off topic...even if I'm the one that brought up the subject of cats as an example. sorry!
default_wink.png
:

What in the heck is wrong with people?? :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

Have to tell you when I first clicked on your post to see what you had bought out of curiousity, I couldn't believe what I saw. While I am sure you were totally floored, I am thankful the little horse found you. I have sold horses out of state and also out of the country and when people have gotten them they have written and said the horse is just what you said it would be. I guess I am naive, but I just can't believe these type of things happen. These kind of pics make me have less foals each year. I hope that whoever you purchased this horse from will not be someone I have ever sold to. We try so hard to check out where our minis go and what type of homes they will have. Some times, though, I am sure we can be fooled. Lavonne

Holy shxx were my exact words! How in the heck can anyone have a horse looking like that and think nothing is wrong?? :eek:

This is where I would love to publicly see the name of this seller, so no one else buys from them. Teach them a lesson!

I am glad you do have her and she is getting the care she needs now.

I was doubly appalled because I took the first picture when I owned the mare! She was fat, beautiful, and in foal when she left here. Too many people fall for the myth that you can feed a miniature a "cup" of grain a day and that "a bale of hay will last a month." False! False! False!!! Now I am concerned about another beautiful mare that went with her.

I was doubly appalled because I took the first picture when I owned the mare! She was fat, beautiful, and in foal when she left here. Too many people fall for the myth that you can feed a miniature a "cup" of grain a day and that "a bale of hay will last a month." False! False! False!!! Now I am concerned about another beautiful mare that went with her.

I thought you use to own this mare, I was like there is no way Tony would let a mare get like this. I am glad to know its not you!

I feel bad for her but I am glad you got her!

Gage

The most sickening part is that the camera ADDS weight! I know this mare is even worse looking in actuality after my own experience. Be very careful feeding her back up to weight. I am a little concerned when you say that there was another mare on that farm that was badly overweight? Does this mare have marks on her that make her look as if she may have been bullied away from the food? If not maybe there is an underlying condition that makes her look like this? I would have her carefully vet checked with blood and stool tests and have her teeth looked at. It is going to be a long slow process to get her back to a healthy weight. I am so glad that you have taken her on and she will get the help that she needs.

You KNOW the person who sold her KNEW she was in bad shape because she only sent the old photos that made her look good.

If I am buying a horse, I always ask for recent pics..the kind with the dates right on the picture.

What a sickening sight that poor mare is. Glad you got her and hope the seller gets a smack upside the head from the next person she attempts to screw over.

I cannot fathom how not ever owning horses before has anything to do with it whether you know you shoud be feeding it or not. That is common sense and a 4 yr old can grasp that concept, so why not this seller?

Makes you wonder whether she bought some grub for the rest of her horses with the money you gave her or not.
default_wacko.png
:

The most sickening part is that the camera ADDS weight! I know this mare is even worse looking in actuality after my own experience. Be very careful feeding her back up to weight. I am a little concerned when you say that there was another mare on that farm that was badly overweight? Does this mare have marks on her that make her look as if she may have been bullied away from the food? If not maybe there is an underlying condition that makes her look like this? I would have her carefully vet checked with blood and stool tests and have her teeth looked at. It is going to be a long slow process to get her back to a healthy weight. I am so glad that you have taken her on and she will get the help that she needs.

You KNOW the person who sold her KNEW she was in bad shape because she only sent the old photos that made her look good.

You are absolutely right - she looks worse than the picture shows. We are being very careful with her feeding regime. We took her to our vet the very next morning after getting her home. I hated to put her in a trailer again - but felt that she needed veterinary attention above and beyond everything else.

Our vet did blood work, fecal samples and an overall examination. The blood work indicated that she was borderline anemic - which was understandable. It also indicated that she was breaking down muscle - a sign of starvation for sure. The fecal samples did show a moderate level of worm infestation. However, nothing else showed up so there does not appear to be any other underlying problems with this mare. She did not have bite marks on her but she is more submissive than the other two that she came with. I believe that she was chased away from food - but that is still no excuse for her condition.

We can see the weight on her already - which is a great sign. If she is putting weight on so quickly she should recover completely. And thank heavens she is not pregnant. If she had been pregnant we would have terminated the pregnancy if it was safe to do so - simply because she needs time for her body to get well and pregnancy would have complicated the matter.

We have gradually increased her rations so that her body is not given too much - too quickly. What we are doing appears to be working so we will continue. She is getting a balanced pellet with some grain - along with multivitamins - and some canola oil added to the whole mixture. She also has free choice salt and a mineral block. And of course fresh water and grass hay is in abundance.

She has really been missing her two friends this past week - they have been integrated into the herd. So yesterday I put a sweet yearling filly in with her. She is being dominant over the filly - but not mean. It appears to be taking her mind off of her friends - which is a good thing as she was not eating as well as she had been.

There is no excuse in the world for a healthy horse to get to this state. Things like this are so sad - but for this little mare there is a happy ending - which is more than some other horses have.

default_sad.png
poor mare,

She is a very pretty mare in the first photo. I am so glad she has a good home now. Keep us posted.

Why why why are you not reporting the seller to the SPCA or Humane Society??????? The person needs to be delt with or at least have a file on. Especially since you stated that this is not the first time you got a skinny horse from her! If he/she's a "breeder" and I use that term loosly, then can you imagine what the rest of the herd looks like? You have their address..do something!!
Don't worry - I am looking into it!!!! The 3 mares that I got from her were all together so I have only bought from her once. The mare that I really really wanted was supposedly sold - then that sale fell through (yeah whatever) and then the woman decided to keep her for herself. I have not idea what condition that mare is in - but I am obviously very concerned. I'm not sure if being from Canada will be harder to deal with the authorities in the US - Pennsylvania to be exact. If anyone has any ideas on who to contact, please let me know.

What a beautiful mare she was, and I am sure you will get her back to her beauty in no time. I am so glad she found a home with you, thank you so much for caring. I agree with what Mona has said, about all the BS, and if people want horses they need to wake up and take care of them, but I also know there are a few in between exceptions where someone honestly dint know, everything about feeding, but is trying there darndest to help a animal, that otherwise would of been dead by now.. I have also bought horses from 2 big name farms, and they came to me in deplorable condition.. One was covered with lice, and was so thin, you could put fingers between each rib.This lilttle mare also has a very nice pedigree. She got to be in this condition from the owner having about 60 in a pasture, and this mare was low on the pecking order, but obviously the owner never paid much attention to see that everyone was getting there share of food.I bought her thru pictures sent to me, which had been taken a few years before also, day and night difference over what I seen and what I bought! I also had pictures sent to me of a very well known farm, with a very well known stallion, where there were ALOT of yearlings, all very thin, wormy, and long toes ...this breeder was waiting for some of them to die!!!!! My question~~ WHY ARE POEPLE LIKE THIS BREEDING? I don't understand how anyone can do this to a animal, and that is WITH KNOWLEDGE. We all need to do our part to the best we can to educate those willing to learn, and rehab those who need our help, there are so many out there that need us. Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - here are some updated photos of our little mare - taken today. She is really getting a heavy winter coat now (thank heavens) - but she looks like a brand new horse. These pictures are her just standing naturally - no show poses - but I think you will be amazed at the difference in this poor little girl. She is doing very well - but the sad thing is - she is so afraid of people it isn't funny. When I brush her she just does everything to get away from me. When I try to pickup her tail to brush it she acts like I am going to hit her. She was so weak when we first got her that she didn't have the energy to run away from us. Now that she is feeling stronger and healthier - she is showing how much she doesn't trust people. What a shame!!! I don't know what this mare has been through in her 4 years of life - but I am guessing that it hasn't been all that pleasant. I know that she will eventually trust us - but it will take some time and lots of TLC for us to earn that trust from her.

She is actually looking pretty fat in these photos!!!!!

IMG_7787.jpg

KristilookingatArt.jpg

Krististanding.jpg

Kristitrotting.jpg

ArtKristi.jpg

Shes a beautiful mare!!

You got her bounced back nicely and she is actually stunning I love her!

Latest posts

Back