What I thought I bought............

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmmorgans

Reaction score
Well - all I can say is buyer beware. I bought a pretty little mare with a fantastic pedigree. This little mare was far away from me so I did not get an opportunity to see her "in person". I was told that she was thin - no problem - at my farm nobody stays thin for long!!!!! She had her first foal this spring and some mares do have a problem with keeping weight on during pregnancy and then afterwards when they are nursing their foal. Actually I bought 3 horses from this same place and one of them was a thin 2 year old that was not to the point of being emaciated - but could have been on her way there. Well - the horses were picked up by another mini person - her husband actually - and started on the long journey to our home. When the husband arrived at his farm that afternoon - his wife was horrified when she saw the horses and contacted me right away. She told me that if she had been on the truck that day - the one mare for sure - would never have been loaded in to the trailer. Now keep in mind - these horses had almost 2000 miles to travel. Well, now the horses were at another breeders farm and were heading out on an 8 or 10 hour journey the next day. Thank heavens that these horses were being transported by other mini breeders and not a commercial transport company. We did not know whether the one mare would even make the trip - she was in such poor shape. But I was not going to send the horses back - and you will see why. I am only going to post pictures of the one horses - that was in deplorable condition - she was actually emaciated. So the first picture is of the horse I thought I was buying and the others are of the poor little horse that got on to a trailer - and is now safely in her new home and doing well.

FreedomHillFarmsExecutiveFuture-1.jpg

IMG_0028cyndimare.jpg

IMG_0031cyndimare.jpg

I was horrified when I saw this mare - and the last two photos don't even show just terrible she really looked. Not only is she in serious body condition - but her feet were horrendous - she had not been brushed for a long time - she had not had a bridle path clipped for at least a year - I could go on and on. As soon as I got her home - I took her to our veterinarian. Needless to say our vet was shocked at her condition - and she had been on good food for a week by that point in time. Our vet ran some blood tests and she was bordering on being anemic and the one really disturbing result from the blood work indicated that she was breaking down muscle - which is what happens when the body has used up all of its fat - and the body is just trying to stay alive.

We weighted her at the vet - she weighed 161 pounds - around 75 to 100 pounds under weight.

The good news is - she is eating well and doing well - so we know that she is well on her way to recovery. Oh - one other thing - she was running with a stallion - so my vet did an ultrasound and thank heavens she is not pregnant. So everything that she is eating is going to her - which will make recovery much quicker.

Now - would you be upset it you had this poor little thing arrive at your farm?

default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: That is AWFUL!!!!

I just bought my filly sight unseen! I can't imagine how I would have felt if this would have happen :no: Poor little baby! Did the breeder think you wouldn't notice or something
default_wacko.png
: WOW I am so sorry! At least she is in good hands now
default_yes.gif
:

Oh my I gasped when I saw her second picture :no: What is wrong with people like this to let this happen to her? I'm so glad she is in the hands of someone who will love and care for her properly now. She's going to be beautiful again and I hope you keep us updated on her progress.

By the way she's adorable!

Last edited:
OMG!!!! She was a beutiful horse, stunning!! how could they let her turn from that gorgeous animal into the poor suffering one!! I couldnt believe it when i seen the photo, i almost wouldnt have belived it had the socks not matched
default_sad.png
im soooo glad she is on her way to recovery with you Thank god

default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
I am terribly shocked and saddened.....unbelievable. On the other hand, I am very thankful she is now in your care. Have you contacted the person you bought her from yet? I am curious on their response. All of my minis were purchased sight unseen, although I visited one as a baby after pretty much deciding on her from her photos, and am happy to say that each were just like their photos. It's unfortunate that you have experienced this, but very fortunate for this sweet mare. Please give her a kiss on the nose from me. Bless you for being so willing to keep her and bring her back to the health and condition she deserves.

How very sad and thank goodness you now have her. Shame on those Sellers who pull such stunts - unfortunately we too have been the recipient over the years of the same type of dishonesty
default_sad.png
- one thing represented and yet another delivered (and even worse - from some very well known and advertised farms!!!!!!) and it just makes you sick to your stomach as to me these tactics are really nothing more than stealing in my humble opinion - these type of Sellers are just using horses and misrepresenting them to take your money. Because I'm positive had you seen photos of her in her true condition, you would [SIZE=14pt]not [/SIZE] have purchased her...........or at least not for the same price. It is like being sent a photo of a shiny new car and you buy it but the delivered car is a rust bucket, that barely runs. This is no different.

Fortunately most Sellers [SIZE=14pt]are[/SIZE] honest. :aktion033: One thing that is key if you are purchasing horses from a distance (even if you KNOW OF the person or farm). Ensure that the Seller includes the wording in their sales agreement that recent clear photos (within the prior 30 days) were used to advertise the horse (leg, bite, both sides, condition,( if a bred mare - vet checked in foal just prior to shipping)) and that the horse will be shipped in the same condition. If they refuse to send NEW photos or include this wording - move on and look for a farm that will do so. Also if you are a Seller, take photos as the horse is loaded onto the trailer of any commercial shipper as things can happen during shipping and these photos will protect your reputation as the Seller should the horse arrive in poor condition.

Another area to never assume is that the horse is halter trained. You would think that would be basic - but surprising - many miniature adults are not halter trained - so don't assume. Also, another area of concern is the exact opposite of this mare - EXCESSIVELY fat - You are sent a show photo to entice you to purchase the horse and then when the horse is delivered it is so obese it can hardly walk (I've had this happen as well) and it can be equally life threatening.

Thank you for sharing your story, it is a warning for all who purchase a horse sight unseen to ALWAYS cover the basics to protect yourself and never assume-always confirm FIRST prior to sending money.

I look forward to seeing photos of your mare in a few months when she returns to her lovely self.

OMG!!! THANK GOD you got her!!! I am sure under your loving care she can and will look as good as she did in that first pic, once again. This crap is really making me sick! 3 STARVATION cases in less than a week...how sickening!

Also, I am wondering...just last night while searching my posts for something else, I noticed where you had replied to my post on warts. You mentioned one of your new horses came with warts covering her entire body??? Was this also from the same person???

OMG!!!! I must say those pictures got to me more than any I've seen....and there have been some BAD ones over the years. Did they have other horses? Any idea from your friend whether the ones still on their farm were in such terrible condition?? If so....looks like another rescue mission.

Thank God that poor little mare made it alive to your farm!!! What a beautiful girl she was and I'm sure will be again under your loving care. I just cannot understand how anyone would sell a horse in that condition and not disclose it to the buyer!!!! Just awful!!!

Well I gasped also. Poor darlin. No excuse for this imho. The seller should be so ashamed for both selling and for allowing her to be in this shape! Are there more there like this? I am so worried for our mini horses this year. Too many pics like this...just breaks my heart. Bless you for caring enough to stick with her, she'll stick with you.

Poor girl, I'm glad you got her (I know you feel like you got took, but with good feed & a bit of time she will look like the top photo again.) She's very pretty.

I don't know--if the seller sent me photos of that thin horse, and if I knew that she had previously looked like the top photo--I'd be inclined to buy her anyway, just to get her out of there. (I do know the lack of a bridle path wouldn't bother me--that's not a sign of neglect!)

Please tell me these were the last 3 horses that seller owns???

Poor girl, I'm glad you got her (I know you feel like you got took, but with good feed & a bit of time she will look like the top photo again.) She's very pretty.

I don't know--if the seller sent me photos of that thin horse, and if I knew that she had previously looked like the top photo--I'd be inclined to buy her anyway, just to get her out of there. (I do know the lack of a bridle path wouldn't bother me--that's not a sign of neglect!)

Please tell me these were the last 3 horses that seller owns???
No - the seller is keeping some horses for herself. I know that she had at least one fat mare as someone recently posted a picture of a mare that she bought from this lady and that mare was not skinny.

With my 3 mares - this one was by far the worst. The 2 year old was not in good shape - and the other mare had a big belly but her backbone was sticking up. The lady thought she was fat because of the belly. That mare has bounced back nicely and the 2 year old is looking far less gaunt. And little Kristi here is putting on weight - thank heavens.

I do believe that when the lady that I bought these mares from - bought Kristi this spring - she must have been in very bad condition. And since this lady was new to horses she did not realize that Kristi was so bad. Apparently Kristi foaled a few weeks after she got her - although the breeder that she got her from (not the original breeder I must add) was not convinced that she was pregnant as she didn't look it.

I think this lady was just not knowledgeable enough to know that this mare was in serious condition and needed help. Although anyone with two eyes could see that she was in horrible shape especially standing next to the normal mare that she sold to someone else.

Another disturbing thing about this mare is that I required an International Health Certificate to import this horse into Canada - and a vet actually examined her and signed the papers. Can you believe that? I guess since she wasn't "sick" he felt that it was OK. I know my vet wouldn't sign the paperwork on a horse in this condition.

I will post pictures periodically as she puts on weight - and gets her winter coat!!!!

I think with broodmares, its really important to ask for RECENT pictures. My reason being, because generally people just put the broodmares out to pasture untill its foaling time. If they wont give you RECENT pictures, then i'd be worried. FALSE REPRESENTATION!
default_sad.png

I am so sorry this happened to you. It deffently makes me more leary. Goodluck with her, i hope to see nice fat pictures of her in the future.
default_smile.png

if you are purchasing horses from a distance (even if you KNOW OF the person or farm). Ensure that the Seller includes the wording in their sales agreement that recent clear photos (within the prior 30 days) were used to advertise the horse (leg, bite, both sides, condition,( if a bred mare - vet checked in foal just prior to shipping)) and that the horse will be shipped in the same condition. If they refuse to send NEW photos or include this wording - move on and look for a farm that will do so. Also if you are a Seller, take photos as the horse is loaded onto the trailer of any commercial shipper as things can happen during shipping and these photos will protect your reputation as the Seller should the horse arrive in poor condition.
Could not have said it better myself, Getitia. If a seller refuses to do anything (within reason) MOVE ON! There are too many horses out there for sale.

We also always take photos of horses being loaded on the trailer. You never know what will happen with the shipper and it's best to cover your bases.

When buying foals INSIST on photos of the sire and dam as grown ups.

Buying and selling horses can be a risky business, but if you use your common sense it can be fun and exciting. If you don't have the experience to buy or sell, please GET HELP! You will avoid a lot of heartache for yourself.

Good luck with your new mare and I hope all goes well with her.

Last edited by a moderator:
My heart just breaks for that mare! How could anyone look at her and not know what serious condition she is in?? New or not that just doesnt make sense. Im so glad shes with you now and glad she made the long journey okay.

My circle of people I will buy from is so so small because of things like this. Luckily I have been able to see in person most of the horses I have bought before I purchased them. I always give recent pictures so that people know exactly what they are getting with no suprises.

I have to say while on the subject that Getitia and Laura Tennill are two of the best breeders I have ever bought from. Horses I have bought from these two ladies are always exactly what they told me they were with no suprises. :aktion033:

I have to say while on the subject that Getitia and Laura Tennill are two of the best breeders I have ever bought from. Horses I have bought from these two ladies are always exactly what they told me they were with no suprises. :aktion033:
I tend to be a very trusting person - I wouldn't do something like this to someone - well actually no horse on our property would ever be in this state - but when she told me that the mare was thin - I envisioned what that would be. Needless to say - shocked was an understatement!!!!

I have a beautiful mare here - that was originally at Getitia's farm (Getitia - that mare is Sunshine)- so I know what Getitia sells!!!! I have also seen many pictures of horses that Laura has sold too.

I have had fantastic luck with horses that we have bought from others - especially from Triple K Miniatures!!!

I have now learned to be very wary - and to not trust people that I don't know. But I am glad that we have this mare as she likely wouldn't have made it through the winter if she had stayed where she was. I feel totally ripped off though - this was kind of like a rescue that I paid for. But the story has a happy ending for this little mare - right?!!!!!

Buyer Beware - the best two words in the English Language!!!!

Why why why are you not reporting the seller to the SPCA or Humane Society??????? The person needs to be delt with or at least have a file on. Especially since you stated that this is not the first time you got a skinny horse from her! If he/she's a "breeder" and I use that term loosly, then can you imagine what the rest of the herd looks like? You have their address..do something!!

Good heavens...what is wrong with people - thats just sick
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
: thank goodness for you...poor thing...she has to be so happy to be in a good home now....sending you the best of luck for her speedy healing.

lis

Sad to say I have been there myself. The people that sold me the horse thought she was fat because of her big belly. I purchased her as open, and one week before she was supposed to ship, SURPRISE she popped out a foal. The only pictures they sent me then were of her peeking around corners or looking through stall bars. When she showed up, her backbone and hips looked like a shovel.

But the mare came out of it incredibly well, and was that much sweeter for the extra care she was given. It breaks my heart to see horses in that condition, and you have every right to be outraged. If her last owner could not see from her dull coat and protruding bones that she was starving, then she shouldn't have horses. Even my non-horsey coworkers gasped at the sight of her. I am sure under your care and supervision she will be beautiful again, though. :no:

Latest posts

Back