What hoof knife would you recommend?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cretahillsgal

Reaction score
Well I tried out my new Barracuda nippers last night. They were kind of awkward to use, but no more than the regular nippers are for me. I am still learning.
default_wacko.png

Anyway, I was just wondering what hoof knives you would recommend. I have a cheapo from our local feed store and it barely works. I want one that cuts on both sides.

No, you don't really want one that cuts on both sides. You use your hand between your thumb and pointer finger to support the hoof knife. A good hoof knife you just turn around to trim the other side of the frog. Hoof knives come right and left handed if you need a left handed one.

The best knife IMO is Anvil Brand "The Knife" classic blade.

If you're use to a cheap one, be careful, this knife is sharp.

Check out

http://www.alvinfarriersupply.com/

for the best price and selection.

Vickie

I bought an F Dick knife. It seems to be working pretty good but I'm not much help, since it is the only one I have used I can't make any comparisons.
default_smile.png

Make sure that you have your Barracuda nippers adjusted right. When mine came the blades were adjusted too far apart and they won't cut good that way. I adjusted them so the blades were as close together as possible without actually touching each other.

Thanks you guys. I checked out Alvin Farriers and noticed the type of knife there that I am looking for. I said that it cuts on both sides, but what I was trying (unsucessfully) to describe was the loop type of knife. Have you ever used those. I don't like to have to pull the knife towards me and with the loop knife I think that I can push from the heel to the toe of the hoof instead of the other way around. Am I correct?

Babygoose, I will have to check my nippers then because I noticed that they would cut easily. But when they were all the way together they still hadn't completely cut though the wall. I think that the blades are probably too far apart like you described.

I like the loop knifes. I have a small one that I bought from the amish that works well with the mini's. I also like the F.Dick knives. I like to try different things. I have found that I like a thicker blade.

Emma

Babygoose, I will have to check my nippers then because I noticed that they would cut easily. But when they were all the way together they still hadn't completely cut though the wall. I think that the blades are probably too far apart like you described.
It will probably help to adjust them. You will need an Allen wrench and the adjustment is on the side.

Latest posts

Back