What has been the biggest hit to your ego lately? Share your stories

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wood

Reaction score
Well as I posted earlier.....I'm home from work sick...have nothing much to do but sit here or I'll
default_smileypuke.gif
on something and I'm also :Cold-Scared chilled.

Anywho back to the topic at hand here....

I got the biggest hit to my ego ever on vacation a few weeks ago.....In a gift shop...I'm a child at heart so was looking at the stuffed animals......I'm holding a stuffed gold fish and an older gal.. she was the sales clerk..comes up to me and says......ahh do you have any grandchildren?

I was speachless :DOH! I think my jaw must have hit the floor and I looked at her with eyes that must have been as big as saucers. I have absolutely nothing against grandmas at all......this was just the first time EVER that anyone had thought that I looked old enough to be one.
default_crybaby.gif
Sigh.

Dumb thing is.....the only thing I could think of to say was.......well I sure hope not I'm only 39.

So feeling sorry for myself....
default_517.gif
I head off to tell my husband the horrible news....then started to do the math in my head.....and figured out that..well.... technically I probably am old enough to be a grandma
default_unsure.png

I guess it just hit me that well......we are getting older.

So the rest of the day I called my husband......grandpa.....
default_poke.gif

I'm not sure which is worse....this story or the time years ago that I was a bit FAT and someone asked me when my baby was due.....
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This one was awhile back, but...

Keith and I were at Coastal and he got in line for checkout. When I joined him, I noticed the cashier was flirting with him (I generally love seeing when other women think my hubby is cute, as I agree!). When I got ready to pay, she asked if I wanted the senior discount! It was so blatant I laughed out loud, but I still wanted to slap the snarky little b****.

People are always asking if my mom and I are sisters. I know I should be happy that when I am as old as her that I will look younger but I want to look younger now!!

The only thing I can think of lately is being called "Ma'am" too often. Urgh.

And, it's been at least 5 years since I've been carded. I guess now they can't do it and keep a straight face -- even though they must know it automatically doubles their tip!!!

I could add that I was at a store to purchase a grinder for my husband.....I took the box up to the clerk and asked him...can you please tell me what this does? Well I guess I set myself up for that one.
default_footinmouth.gif
He answers "well it grinds things" I'm thinking well duh......how stupid do you think I am...I know it is a grinder..

Guess I should have worded it differently....I meant to ask what does this grinder grind....does it grind metal?...grind off paint? Bolts? Does it work good on cars?? Dunno..I just know I felt stupid.

I remember too that my sister started to grey very early, she was greying in her late 20's . She is 13 years older than myself so people were constantly calling her my grandma and she was like 28 or so. I wanted to crawl under a rock when they did. I know that really hurt her ego.

I love grey hair but don't want it yet. I can still pluck out the couple a year I get
default_laugh.png
The first one I saw was when I was driving down the highway, I saw a glimmer of silver in the rear view mirror and knew it was coming from my head and just about went into the ditch when I saw it. I was so mortified
default_new_shocked.gif

I know this isn't probably the most interesting lol but what the heck. Need a laugh and I'm still home
default_smileypuke.gif
ing.

Oh Connie puke bad nasty boo! Cover up and have a nice hot cup of herbal tea! Hope you feel better really soon and get rid of that bug.

Ah Jill, I never could get used to being called ma'am but that's a fact of life down here in the south. My mother didn't like it at all.

Hate to admit it but the hus used to be asked if he was my boys grandfather all the time and I used to get starred at in the dr's office by all the young pregnant girls. I was 36 when I had my first baby and there I was. Everyone else in the waiting room looked 14 to me.

Then last time I was at the mall, I was testing out perfume samples at the makeup counter and just looking at everything. The lady there asked me if she could help me with some make up and commented that I sure could use some! And a make over! I am sure she was right but gee whiz.... Granted, my eyes are usually swollen and puffy I cry a lot and I don't sleep. Then she added that she would have to call her supervisor over since I was a very serious "case." Whatever that meant. I did pass but next time I probably won't!

I'm not sure which is worse....this story or the time years ago that I was a bit FAT and someone asked me when my baby was due.....
default_wacko.png
This happened to a friend of mine a few years back while we were waiting for her car at a car wash. I was so mortified for her I wanted to crawl into a hole! She did handle it well though and laughed a bit afterwards. I would have cried for weeks. Goes to show you what a difference self confidence can make no matter what your shape or size!

About 15 years ago (see - it still haunts me!)
default_laugh.png
I was taking aerobics 3 times a week. I was rather fit for me - but my family heritage of No Neck and Short still meant I looked chunky compared to the tall, lithesome lovelies in the same class. No matter - my short legs could keep up with the long ones! The class was great - it was close to work so I went there right after work hours - and then walked the 2 miles home - even if it was snowing. I loved it!

Until one evening when we were jogging around the gym doing our cool-down... and the perky instructor came up to jog along next to me... made some small talk and then asked when the baby was due.

default_unsure.png

What baby??!! She mistook my very slightly poochy tummy (remember we were all in tights etc. ) for a pregnancy??!

I was horrified... here I thought I was getting toned and fit and she thought I was preggers!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_rolleyes.gif

Sooo... I jogged on out the door ... and I did not go back. I found a different place/instructor.... and it was not a pre-natal class!
default_wink.png

NOW - it is funny! THEN - not so much!
default_biggrin.png

Well, here's confusing one for you.........
default_unsure.png
I was 41 years old when Bri was born........about 5 years later I was CARDED at the grocery store for a bottle of wine. He explained that he was required to ask any one who looked 35 or under. I laughed and practically kissed the young male cashier's feet! That SAME YEAR I was shopping at Costco with my daughter and a sweet little old lady smiled at me while we were in the check-out line. Then she said, "Shopping with your granddaughter?"
default_new_shocked.gif
Of course, being an outspoken 6 year old, Brianna, piped up and replied, "She's NOT my grandmother! She's my MOM!" LOL.

Well, here's confusing one for you.........
default_unsure.png
I was 41 years old when Bri was born........about 5 years later I was CARDED at the grocery store for a bottle of wine. He explained that he was required to ask any one who looked 35 or under. I laughed and practically kissed the young male cashier's feet! That SAME YEAR I was shopping at Costco with my daughter and a sweet little old lady smiled at me while we were in the check-out line. Then she said, "Shopping with your granddaughter?"
default_new_shocked.gif
Of course, being an outspoken 6 year old, Brianna, piped up and replied, "She's NOT my grandmother! She's my MOM!" LOL.

That word carded reminded me of last week when I went to purchase sudafed at the drug store for the first time. It is behind the counter now because of the drug users abusing it. I'm sure everyone remembers the hype about that when it was a big story back when...

She asked to see my drivers license and got out a ring binder. I said "wow its been a long time since I've been carded" Glad someone thinks I look younger"

She says "we have to do that for everyone and then log them in the book so that we know how many times you purchase it.

So much for that feel good moment.
default_wacko.png

I recently had a real 'ouch ' moment with my 11 year old.

We were watching TV and an advert came on for the rugby.

I said " wow, those those guys are built like tanks".

My 11 year old replied " yeah, your like a tank too Mum"!! :DOH!

Completely innocent as it was, my husband got up and left the room along with the 14 year old son. They new there would be tears!

Hmm, well, this was neither recent nor a "hit to my ego" precisely but it sure was embarrassing! When I was seventeen I was dating a gentleman who was three years older than me and of course we often went out to dinner at fast food places or otherwise ended up near the mall, much though we both hated the whole "mall rat" concept.
default_rolleyes.gif
I have the kind of face that looked twelve until I was twenty-one and am only 5'3" whereas my boyfriend was 6'2" and looked like he was in his late twenties so you can imagine the kind of looks we got.
default_frusty.gif
I thought we were both going to die of embarrassment the time our server asked if his "daughter" would like fries with that.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_shutup.gif
default_517.gif
The server took one look at our flaming faces and hastily revised the statement to "Girlfriend! Right, sorry...."
default_rolleyes.gif

It happened more than once.
default_no.gif

Leia

well I will probably be the only guy that post on this topic but oh well.

I used to be pretty big. I have always carriered my weight well and most would never dream I weigh what I do. Muscle does weigh more and I have always had my fair share. At one point I was around 350 but not the 350 you think. Even at that weight I wore a size 38 waist. I was way bigger then I wanted to be so I decided to loose it and boy did I. In about 14 months I dropped down to 165. I was lifting weights 3hrs a night running mountain biking you name it I was doing it. When Amanda and I meet 3 years ago it slowed a lot of that down. I wanted to spend time with her. I did put some weight back on but not a lot. when I was 165 a lot of people thought I was sick. I decided I wanted to knock a bit of it back off and I have been back in the gym for that last 4 months. I have lost about 15 pounds though I have moved more then that around. Felling pretty good about my self getting the V shape back. Then in a 2 weeks time I had 6 different people come up to me and say " Your wife must be feeding you good, you sure are filling out." Which we all know is just a southern way of saying boy you sure getting fat. The first time I blew it off but after 3 or 4 times it started to really get me down. Even to the point that I missed a week at the gym.

I know guys are not supposed to let things like that get to them but it did.

Mike

I have had three occasions in my life where someone has actually called me a "Sir"
default_new_shocked.gif
NOW I know I DO NOT look anything like a man or even remotely masculine but it still hit hard. All three times it was someone that was in a service position at a store and they hadn't looked up at me directly. I am 6'3" so I can rationalize how they could make the mistake but STILL
default_new_shocked.gif
Lucky for me I have also always been asked if I was a model lol so that always made me feel better
default_rolleyes.gif

I can see where the "grandkids" comment would hit hard. I get upset these days because young girls have started calling me "Ma'am"
default_no.gif
I am only 26 but age is already catching up to me and I'm not even thirty yet.

I'm sure some of the "Grandma's" on the forum can tell you all the wonderful things there are to being considered "Grandma" material
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
. You just have to look at it differently I guess
default_wink.png

Well this isn't so much an "ego" thing as it is an "intelligence" (or lack thereof) thing and it happened just last night.

I have 20 acres and have been trying to find someone to come and mow it. My daughter found someone she thought might be interested, he came over and looked around and said he'd have to talk to his dad because he owns the equipment. He called me last night and said he had checked with so and so who works at such and such and the USDA recommended wage for running a brush hog is $40 an acre.
default_new_shocked.gif
I told him there's NO WAY I could afford that.....when what I really wanted to say was there's no way I would PAY that. This guy has been out of work for 2 months, is getting married in 2 weeks and both he and his girl friend say he needs a job. Silly me, I thought it might be a good thing for both of us.....but evidently I have STOOPID written on my forehead. I wanted sooo badly to tell him I might be old but I'm not dumb.

My husband and myself and 2 male friends went to look at some horses and on the way home, we were hungry. We stopped at a nice country restaraunt, and the hostess came up and looked right at me and said, come on fellas , I can seat you now.

I wear my hair blonde with highlights, very short and spikey, but I also wear eye make up, shadow, blush, lipstick and dangling earrings.

I was hurt but didn't say anything. Of course the friends and hubby thought it was hysterical. And they still tease me about it.

Robin

Few years ago I was at a local feed store.... The clerk said," I had beautiful long hair"...but then she had to ruin it... she added.. " though I have never seen hair like that on someone your age".
default_rolleyes.gif
:DOH!

All I could do it just look at her.
default_rolleyes.gif

Susanne,, would of felt like smaking that lady too.

Connie... I did the math.. I could be a Grandma also. :DOH!

I have had three occasions in my life where someone has actually called me a "Sir"
default_new_shocked.gif
NOW I know I DO NOT look anything like a man or even remotely masculine but it still hit hard. All three times it was someone that was in a service position at a store and they hadn't looked up at me directly. I am 6'3" so I can rationalize how they could make the mistake but STILL
default_new_shocked.gif
OMG this just happened to me last week. I'm nearly 6' tall, so I can kind of understand. He said it while looking down; I said "I don't think so" and he apologized and said he wasn't looking (which is a poor excuse). Hopefully, he doesn't make that mistake again, soon.

This was more of an ego blow to my husband, I thought it was pretty funny! He is very gray and has been since he was about 30.

We were at a high school football game a couple of weeks ago. We were sitting by a lady that used to know us both, but hasn't seen either one of us in years, so didn't recognize us right away. I was sitting by her (between her and my husband), talking to her, and she finally realized who I was. She asked if I lived in town again or if I was still living in the country. I told her we lived in the country and loved it. She looks over at my husband and says, "does you dad live around here"?

I thought it was pretty funny, he didn't for some reason! He is only 44, 4 years older than me. I am told that I don't look my age, but it was still pretty funny!

Latest posts

Back