What Happened to My Mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cricket8

Reaction score
Wednesday night we gave my mare a west nile vaccine. The fair started Thursday. Saturday I took my mare out during the stb races. Saturday night my nephew tried to touch her and she about jumped out of her skin. She is very flinchy like someone was beating her. We stable at the racehorse barn on the fairgrounds but, barely anyone walks through thankfully during the fair. She is still acting odd which is odd since she is my bomb proff mini. She doesn't like anyone touching her hind end at all. Has anyone had any strange reactions to the west nile vaccine?

Proof*

Are you saying that she was left at the stable area without any of you around? Say overnight? If so, anything could have happened. It may or may not be related to the vaccine. I would work on settling her down by doing ground work exercise and other things to build up her confidence again. That is, after I've confirmed it's not a health issue. I hope she's back to herself soon.

I know someone who quit giving WN vaccine - they used to get close to 100% conception rate at their farm. After the started giving that vaccine, they were lucky to be getting half that. The only thing they had changed was giving that vaccine. They had foals aborted or die at birth or the mares just were not getting pregnant. Since they have stopped giving it a couple of years ago, their conception rate with the same mares and stallions is now going back up but it's taken a couple of years. Who ever created the vaccine can say there is no problem with it, but I have seen/heard of too many issues by giving it- and it was the only thing that was changed in the horses routine.

I no longer give the WN vaccine either after my little gelding got sick after receiving it one year. His wasn't a severe reaction but my worry was... would the next one be more serious? Slightly swollen neck, sore muscles all over, stilff and light sweating. It didn't last long but it was pretty miserable, like a little kid with the flu.

I haven't had any issues with the WN vaccine but have had issues leaving horses at the local fair grounds. Horses have been let out. They were totally freaked out when I got there in the morning. I still use stalls at the fairgrounds during shows but don't leave them at the fairgrounds over night. They come home with me at night. I think they sleep alot better and are fresher for the next day being in familiar surrounding. The people that I know that have to leave them at the fairground put a lock on the gate and leave an "in case of emergency" note with their info and medical info.

Hope things work out OK.

I had major issues with the WNV vaccine when it first came out but it was all physical, not mental.

What I think you have there is one very freaked out little girl which is somehow fair related. Something or someone messed with her in a way you will probably never know. I'd make her my priority and spend a lot of time giving her super love and touching her all over again. She should come around back to you. Best wishes.

PS: I always had to have someone guarding my stalls at the Fairs. Too many nut cases.

I agree - doesn't sound like a vaccination complication - sounds like someone had a 'good time' with your beloved mare.

She is very touchy on her hind end almost like someone stuck a hot poker up her bum. She seems to be a bit body sore. The barn is usually guarded by the local police as we have very expensive stbs in there. Everyone is fine besides her. I did also find an ulcer in her eye. Thanks for your advice. She is getting extra love and attention.

I wont give WN. I gave my one mare phnumabort k and she was messed up for a week so i wont do that either anymore. Im wondering if i should do the vacines 30 days prior to delivering like vet recomends.

Well things just get worse. Found out my mare was coughing ( this is after I found the ulcer in her eye). We let all three ladies out for some grass and one of the other mares had snot hanging out of her nose. Had to be at least a foot in length but was clear. We then took all three of their temps and all have fevers. We then checkked the rest of the barn and everyone under 4 has a fever. JOY!!!

Sending good vibes your way, hope it ends up being minor but wowzers you hear of some doozies going through shows and fairs. I hope this isn't going to be one of them, please let us know what ends up happening. My feeling was she was getting "sick" I always get sore and stiff when I'm coming down with something and the stress of showing can help those germs get a foothold. Do you board at the grounds full time (I know some places have year round co-op stabeling) or are you just there for the show?

Yep should have known. My miniatures as well as the racehorses we have are boarded there. So they are completely used to it. The barn is out of the fairgrounds basically by the parking lot where nobody really walks through. She is getting better. She has a horrible cough and a temp but, she's allowing my 17 month old by and on her again. Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.

The vet wants us to give all the minis 4 smz 2x daily because he said even though its viral he wants us to protect them against secondary infections. Our ladies are around 230 they are 33 and under. Candy our youngest now has yellow snot. Not good but hope she feels better soon.

Back