What feeds do you prefer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my own recipe from a friend, that they have used now for the last 30+ years.

I order the lowest amount I can at the feed mill, which is 500 pounds.

But that is still way cheaper then going with any premixed feeds. Bar none.

Geesh 50 lbs. of pre-mix feeds range anywhere from 10 bucks to well over 20 dollars depending on the quality, protein level etc.

So you can figure from 20 to 40 bucks a hundred.

So 500 pounds would vary from 100 to 200 dollars

I get 500 pounds, mixed up, for around 55 bucks.~! Varies some with the price of corn, oats etc.

But even when corn was so high, over a year ago I never went over 80 dollars for that same 500 pounds of sweet feed mix.

And you can also feed it to a steer, I raise one for the freezer every other year.

Another Blue Seal feed person here
default_laugh.png

Over 16 years and never a problem! I use Demand pellets, 16%, vit/min/lysine/yeast, etc., all in there. $12.75-$13.50 per bag. Vintage Senior is $15.50-$17.00....depends on dealer, and some variances at times. Blue Seal carries most anything you need.....even dog/cat foods.

They are fixed formula feeds. Lot of soy protein. Animals love it, stay in great weight and filled nicely in all areas. Stallions, mares, foals all get it, just a different amount for some (like nursing mares). My mares don't pull down, the foals are born and grow strong, everyone is shiny and healthy. The Sr feed has BP in it, so can be complete feed if desired. I have put a couple of the pellets in my own mouth to be sure they are easy to chew for those with few/no jaw teeth. Just the saliva in your mouth makes them begin to soften and can be easily crushed into a fine gruel.

They have several variances of feed composition to handle most situations, including a Carb Guard and

Sunshine? that is a ration balancer. If it is available near you, give it some consideration.

They should hire me!!
default_biggrin.png
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We use strategy here and the horses love it! We have been feeding it to our horses for the last three years and they look better on it than on any other feed used. I like it as it has premium quality ingrediants in it, very clean feed. The quality of protein that is in it helps to build muscle and our horses stay in very good shape on it. We feed an alfalfa orchardgrass mix hay with it. Their coats are shiny and they carry just the right amount of weight over the back. Its hard to beat for the price. I have no problems with it at all. I dont have to feed other additives with it on most horses either other than for the hair coats on the show horses. Its simple, good quality feed, and with it being pelleted makes it even nicer.

All show horses and weanlings, nursing mares are on it and they look better than they ever did on the other sweetfeeds we used in the past. They are cleaner in the neck and shoulder area too which is what I like about it, when feeding the appropriate amount of Strategy to each horse for his-her individual needs. Fed with good quality clean hay its hard to beat!

Have have been feeding Nurtena Safechoice to the rescue mare and Nutrena Lite Balance for the mini's. So far, I have had no problems and the horses are doing very well on Nutrena feeds.

Did a little research and Nurtena offered more vitamins in their feed and met the feeding requirements I need for my horses, specially the rescue mare's needs, than any other forumulated feed in this area.

Blue Seal is a great line of feed and I would suggest it to anyone that can get it
We have fed Nutrena, Purina, Dumor, Blue Seal and Triple Crown. I go back to Blue Seal every single time. I am not a Nutrena fan at all. We tried Safechoice and my horses looked the worst they ever have coat wise and I was feeding ALOT of it to maintain weight on the harder keepers. The majority of my horses right now are back to eating Blue Seal Demand and, as usual, are doing great on it. I've decided no more switching to try a new fad or something new. We've always had great luck with Blue Seal. I had a mare I had switched to Purina Omolene do well on it, but it had tons of molasses in it, so I took her off it. I have fed Blue Seal Demand(which the majority of my horses are eating and doing GREAT on), Hunter, Charger and Carb Guard in the past and have had great luck with every single one. Their coats look the best on Blue Seal, they maintain their weight well and have tons of energy. I've done enough trying of this and that and am now sticking to the Blue Seal. It's, by far, worked the best for my horses. If you can get it in your area, I'd look into it.

~Jen~

While there is no 'one size fits all' when it comes to feeding horses, I have been the most satisfied with feeding a diet/ration balancer and hay. Horses are designed to live on a fiber diet and feed programs that utilize high fibers seem to work the best.

I'm not a fan of Purina products since they don't tell you what is actually in their feeds; I have been very satisfied with Progressive Nutrition feeds. Here, I feed their Alfalfa Balancer, alfalfa pellets and grass hay to the majority of my horses. Most do very well on this with no additives needed. My show horses get the same with the addition of beet pulp. I have just started recently feeding my young horses (weanlings - 2 yr olds) Progressive's Growth Formula feed. Young horses don't digest fiber well until they are mature, so they are now getting a grain based diet, with cooked grains and I am happy with the results I am seeing.

I looked into Blue Seal feeds and no one sells it within 50 miles of here.

Yes, I used to use Horse guard with a little oats. They did well with it.

I am currently feeding an excellent 12% sweet feed from a local grain mill - the horses all look great (from my yearlings to my 26 y/o mare) and everyone loves it. I used to pay $13.75 for Strategy a while back but wasn't pleased with it so switched to the local grain mill who gladly sells it to me for $6.50 per 50# bag since I buy about 700# per month. With winter coming along I have upped everyones grain and here is what I am currently feeding:

1. Pistol - 4 lbs. day
  2. Sampson - 2 lbs. day
  3. Ranger - 4 lbs. day 
  4. Azul - 4 lbs. day
  5. Taffy - 2 lbs. day
  6. Sassy - 2 lbs. day
  7. Missy - 4 lbs. day
  8. Allula - 2 lbs. day
My easy keepers get 2 lbs. and my hard keepers are getting 4 lbs. - I plan to adjust after 8 weeks to everyones needs. . .either up or down on the amount of grain. I have never found any of my horses to become "hot" while on the sweet feed but I have noticed better toplines, fuller bellies, and happier horses. 

I too have used all sorts of feeds....with Triple Crown being one of my favorites until OSU vet clinic recommended I put a little mare that they did surgery on a senior feed....which I did....switched everyone over to it from Triple Crown Lite...and now I have 33 very plump horses....so once again have switched feeds and we are now using ration balancer...the Buckeye Gro n Win.....

Becky

I use Strategy and have found that all my horses from show to babies have done very well on it and don't have to use any added supplements. I do grow my own hay and use an Orchard Grass and also an alfalfa mix. Plenty of fresh water and all horses have access to the himilayin (sp) salt block which they love.

Arlene

Latest posts

Back