What feeds do you prefer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dona

Reaction score
I know this topic has probably been beat to death....but I'm thinking of changing feeds, and would like some input on Strategy and Omelene.

I have been feeding Purina for years.....but have been using the "complete" feeds, such as Equine Jr. Equine Sr., etc.

With prices going up....I'm thinking of changing to Strategy or Omelene, and was wondering what the pros & cons are of each.

Would those of you who have used these feeds, please share your experience?

I basically am looking for a good all-around feed that I can feed to my broodmares, as well as my stallion....and POA gelding.

Thanks!
default_wink.png

Our feeding history (this covers 19 years)......We started with Omelene, went to LMF, and then Strategy.

We were feeding Strategy in the in the late 1990's and our trainer, Portia Sue, asked us what we were feeding. When we told her, she said that our youngsters looked great and "if it isn't broke - don't fix it!"

Unfortunately, the cost of Strategy jumped. Our feed store showed us another product that had all of the same ingredients of Strategy....PLUS it had beet pulp and probiotics in it. It was a complete Senior pellet made in the northwest by "Equus", which I think is associated with Blue Ribbon in some way. We switched to the senior feed and haven't looked back.

All you can do is grab those ingredient cards and start comparing and researching..... That's what we've always tried to do. I do like the fact that our senior feed is manufactured in the northwest because the vitamins and minerals are adjusted to the needs of this general area.

I switched our weanlings and our hard-keeper mare to Omolene 300 about 5 weeks ago now. I am pleased by what I'm seeing so far. I'm getting ready to move my yearling from a ration balancer to Purina's WellSolve W/C (weight control). She's already pudgy and I really want to avoid her getting pudgier but I feel bad she gets so little to eat (or it seems that way to me). As we get into more cold weather, I will consider adding some soaked beet pulp in an effort to get them some additional fluids.

Gro 'n Win and timothy/alfalfa hay. Even more simple
default_biggrin.png

The great thing about Gro 'n Win is that it's fed to my mare when in foal as well and then just doubled when lactating. No special mare/foal feed. Everyone's on it and everyone looks great.

oats, beet pulp and alfalfa cubes. simple

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been feeding Safe And Sound by Acco for a number of years now. Switched to that when Strategy became too pricey. I have been very happy with the results. Safe Choice is comparable and is made by Nutrena which will now be handled by Tractor Supply Co so available most everywhere. I do not have to use any additives and the ponies and minis stay in nice condition without having to feed a huge amount of grain. Mine also receive clean coastal bermuda hay that runs about 12% protein. I did not have any complaints with the Strategy but the price got really high and after I went through ingredients, talked to some people that work at the feed mills, I felt like the Safe And Sound was a bit better feed and it was $2 to $3 a bag cheaper.

I personally have had bad experiences with Omelene when I was competing in the big horse world...a number of colics and ulcers with the horses that were on it and for our area it was never very consistant...some bags very sweet, other very dry, etc.

Already, a couple of you have mentioned that Strategy went up in price. Just curious, how much was it per bag in your area of the country before it went up in price?

Hey Dona
default_saludando.gif

I had to quit all the sweet feed sugars years ago when I had a near founder scare again so I stopped with the Omelenes.

I've been feeding Strategy across the board pretty much to everyone. No problems and I'm paying around $13.00+ a bag. I did put the weaner on Equine Jr. last week though just out of basic principal
default_wacko.png

I have a Tractor Supply Newspaper in front of me and right now, Purina and Nutrena are pretty much neck and neck on prices of most of the products.

I also do hay year round, grass in season, beet pulp, free choice minerals and I do keep steam rolled oats on hand for whatever.

I am not a fan of Nutrena feeds, although, there is one feed that I was looking at in the Nutrena Life Design line, the "Compete" feed which I am thinking about putting a gelding on ... but as I said I have never been a fan of Nutrena.

Right now my weanlings are on Omolene 300, Beet Pulp and Buckeye Gro N Win. Working really well for me.

Everyone else is on Purina Horsemans Edge 12% sweet feed and oddly enough they are looking better then ever on that feed. It is only about $12.00 a bag here and although it is not a "premium" Purina feed .. my horses are doing wonderful on it.

I've fed several different feeds...Strategy, Omolene, Safe Choice (do not like the safe choice at all!), XTN, Platform, Gro N Win .....

Strategy is only $13.99 here per bag...its even cheaper at TSC right now.

I normally feed Poulin, but I'm the only one using the 16% protien one, so they have to order it special for me. I decided last time I bought grain to switch the minis to Purina Omelene, at least until I didn't need the 16% anymore. Well today, I bought my second bags, the 200 and 300, and it is totally different than the last bags I had. These bags are both VERY sticky with molasses, unlike the last ones that I'm finishing which are very "dry". I'm going back to feeding Poulin.

I think some manufacturers change the amount of molasses in their feed for northern/cold climates around this time of year. Of course, it may not be that simple, but I have seen that happen a lot with different feeds over the years in New England.

Horse Chow 200 works for pretty much all of my horses as a supplement in addition to minerals and salt block. They don't get much in summer and then get more in winter when there is no grass. general rule for me is 1 cup morning and night and then adjust from there based on body condition and nutritional requirements.

I know this topic has probably been beat to death....but I'm thinking of changing feeds, and would like some input on Strategy and Omelene.
I have been feeding Purina for years.....but have been using the "complete" feeds, such as Equine Jr. Equine Sr., etc.

With prices going up....I'm thinking of changing to Strategy or Omelene, and was wondering what the pros & cons are of each.

Would those of you who have used these feeds, please share your experience?

I basically am looking for a good all-around feed that I can feed to my broodmares, as well as my stallion....and POA gelding.

Thanks!
default_wink.png

Depends on the horse. But typically Grass Hay with Purina Enrich 32 and a handful of alfalfa pellets for idle minis/early term broodmares, and performance minis are on Alfalfa Cubes, Purina Enrich 32 and a handful of grass hay. My large performance horses get Purina Strategy and I LOVE it! If I ever own a mini that needs the extra calories, they will get Strategy for sure.

Purina Strategy used to be $13.99 here, it is now $19.99.

I still feed it.

It doesn't seem to spoil quite as fast as the stickier grains do, although I have had a couple bags get "buggy" if I didn't use them fast enough.

I feed beet pulp and corn oil along with it.

I have also fed Triple Crown feeds, LOVE THEM even though they are expensive. Really like the Triple Crown Complete... horses LOVE it and it really puts weight on them.

Just expensive.

Andrea

Thank you all for your responses. Right now, I'm leaning more toward the Strategy. The only thing I'm worried about is many have mentioned that it puts weight on their horses. I definitely don't have that problem with my minis...LOL. Our TSC store has just started carrying Purina products & the Omelene & Strategy & Nutrene are all on sale, so I'm just trying to decide which is the best way to go.

I have no "problem" horses.....just need a nice all-around feed that I can feed to everyone. (No foals to feed this winter either, as I've sold them all).

Purina Strategy used to be $13.99 here, it is now $19.99.
Wow. Thank you for answering my question.

Anyone else? What did Strategy cost in your area before you switched and what did it go up to that caused you to switch?

My local Tractor Supply store just began carrying Equine Junior, Equine Senior, Omolene 100, 200, and 300, and Strategy. I decided to try the Strategy as I really don't want to feed a complete feed or a "sweet feed". I was disappointed to learn that all of the Purina feeds contain a lot of molasses.
default_no.gif
I was feeding a low carb, low starch, high fat, high fiber pelleted feed that I was very satisfied with, but they are phasing it out.
default_no.gif
Strategy is going to be $12.99 (it is $10.99 until the 18th). I was paying $13.99 for what I was feeding. Cost isn't really an issue for me, availability is.

I, too, thought that I would try to choose a good feed that would work for various different "needs"; a senior Quarter Horse, a very inactive 12 year old Paint Horse, Miniature Horses of various ages/body types/metabolisms, a pregnant Miniature Horse mare, and a dwarf Miniature Horse weanling. I put everyone but the dwarf on Strategy and I put the dwarf on Omolene 300 as he was used to eating a crappy sweet feed at his breeder's and he was not happy about those tasteless pellets I was feeding!
default_biggrin.png
default_rolleyes.gif

I have been using the Omalene feeds for years now and love them. If something isn't broke I don't try to fix it. I like how my horses look, their coats always look shiny, I like the light in their eyes and their energy levels. My show horses, brood mares and babies eat it, and I give smaller portions mixed with whole plain oats for those just out in the pasture that will get way too fat on Omalene alone.

*If I could spell I wouldn't have to edit
default_shutup.gif

Right now Strategy is $14.49 a bag here, and Equine Junior is $16.49 a bag. It's gone up in past years for sure. The foals and their older babysitter mare get Equine Junior, and I give Strategy to the horses that need the extra feed, otherwise everyone is on just a hay diet with minerals and salt. I want to try the Enrich 32 though, sounds like a great idea to make sure all the horses are getting the vitamins they need.

oats, beet pulp and alfalfa cubes. simple

I have tried many a thing some fads some things others swear by (and I am sure they work for them) but for my horses it seems not only how they look but how they act and feel the above is about the best program for us with the exception of alfalfa pellets instead of cubes

We have tried many different feeds in the years we have had horses. I too am not a fan of Safechoice, and Nutrena

For that matter. I have never fed Purina before so I wont comment much on them. I do know top trainers and showers that use Puria and swear by it, but I has never been in my area until now, with TSC carrying it and I just dont feel that what is in their feeds is the best quality. But thats just my opinion.

I have fed Dumor, Purina, Tripple Crown, Blue Seal, Platform, whole and rolled oats, beet pulp, alfalfa pellets and cubes.. The list goes on. But my absolute favorite and in my opinion best feed to feed is Blue Seal. I believe you can only get them in NE and In the east, not sure. I have fed their Hunter, which is comparible to Strategy, and now Im feeding Charger, a sweet feed similar to omolene 200. The horses have gained weight, filled out, and have tons of energy. For the idle horses this year all they are getting is Charger, hay and a bit of beetpulp. For the show horses I am planning on Charger, rolled oats, beetpulp, and alfalfa pellets or cubes, not sure which one.

Blue Seal is a great line of feed and I would suggest it to anyone that can get it

Latest posts

Back