What exactly ARE the differences....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanny

Reaction score
In regards to entering the ring, showing your horse, setting him up, what the judges want to see, etc.

I've been at plenty of shows with AMHR and ASPC classes but I haven't shown ASPC yet and this year I'd like to but I don't have a clue about it. Normally if I am at a show and the pony classes start it is my first opportunity for a break or I am just busy with something else and not watching classes. I feel a little clueless and I'd like to show in a few pony classes without making a fool of myself.

Is anyone willing to go over the basics for me?

We gernerally enter at a trot on the rail going counter clock-wise. We then go the center of the ring and line up where the steward points us to. Then one by one we go to work on the rail, both directions, at a trot. Then we line back up in our original spot, or if the class is big, we are moved around.

Now - how you set your horse up is dependent on the division of ASPC is.

For foundation (which I have none) you set up like AMHR.

For Classics, you set up much like AMHR, we sometimes park out a bit more.

For Modern Pleasure - we park out, you can show square, but most park out.

For Modern - you definetly park out, head is a bit higher than Classic or Foundaiton.

I am sure others will chime in here with tips and tricks.

Hi Sanny

Did you get a pony?? Working the rail also depends on what division you are showing in. Classics are shown with one handler but usually modern pleasure and moderns have a tailer to get the pony to really move out and show off their movement

Foundation and classics stand a little more stretched than a mini. You move into the ring according to direction from the ring person and stand your pony. You are allowed to have a person along to help you move the pony on the rail if you like. Most do not, but we have done it often when we have one that will just not move unless someone is behind it. It should make no difference in the placing and since this will be your first time, it may make you a bit more comfortable to have someone with you that may have done it before and can whisper little tips while in the ring. Also, you are allowed to carry a whip in the ring with you in pony classes. My hubby has done this--not to whip his pony, but so the pony sees it during the trot on the rail and moves smoother.

Depending on what type you are showing:

Foundations and Classics walk in to the ring and set up side by side facing the rail.

MPs, Moderns, and ASPRs trot in on the rail and set up in the same manner.

Foundations and Classics are generally stepped out 1-2 spaces, while the others are parked out. You can have a Tailer for any of the above divisions should you wish and you may carry a whip. You may also show in a bridle.

When working the rail, you work at a trot in both directions. Moderns/ASPRs on the rail and Foundations/Classics off the rail.

Find a friendly face at one of your shows to help show you the ropes!
default_yes.gif

Oh, and NO RAZORING of the face! We don't bald or over goop the shetlands.

When working the rail, you work at a trot in both directions. Moderns/ASPRs on the rail and Foundations/Classics off the rail.

Addition to this:

M's and ASPR's are on the rail, correct.

Foundations/Classics about 4-6 ft. off the rail.

If nothing else Mary and Bob, follow someone else in the arena an mimic them.

Normally, you enter the ring (just follow the horse infront of you really) and set up facing the rail. I show classic/founation. After you get facing the rail, set up your pony and the judge(s) will walk around and look all of the ponies over and then after they look over your pony, will ask you to trot off the rail. I've heard 6ft is about where you want to be. Walk forward and then trotto the left (off the rail about 6ft) then turn and trot the other direction, and then walk back to lineup and set up your pony agian for the judge(s).

I much prefer how the shetlands show, but that is just me
default_yes.gif
. Watch a class or two before you enter the ring and it will make sense.

I don't know if they will have time to watch! LOL! But yeah I know Jackie is always after me about the 6ft for Classics and ON THE RAIL for MP's and M's.

Good Luck This weekend Bob and Mary! I look forward to seeing you in the Invitational Classes with your ponies!

Modern PLEASURE horses are NOT shown "on the rail" here is the exerpt from the Rulebook. ONLY the MODERNS are shown "on the rail."

g. Each entry will be individually worked off the

rail, on a line, either across the show ring or

parallel to the rail, wall or fence.

UH OH. Too much information.
default_wacko.png

I'm not good at haltering as it is, and this is information overload. I may be the one in the ring looking at my hand (where cheat notes will be written).

I will be giving showing a foundation AMHR/ASPC this weekend.

If I look totally lost out there someone PLEASE take pity on me and tell me what to do.

Thanks for the tips. For those of you that will miss out on the fun of watching me in the ring I will post an update next week.

If you are showing Foundation, you are off the rail and just make your AMHR stand alittle more stretched out and you will be fine!

Latest posts

Back