What does it truly mean to be an American....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tango

Reaction score
This has been the most difficult election year I can remember in trying to decide who to vote for to run our country. Nearly everything you hear has to be taken with a grain of salt and you can't believe half of what you read. I continue to get forward after forward of the ideas and principles that supposedly Obama stands for and just got to thinking about the founding principles of our country. There are people from every country on Earth that can call America their home and are Americans. There are millions of legal immigrants that live here and millions of people, that even though they live here and call themselves Americans, still adhere to the cultural beliefs and structures of the countries that they immigrated from, and which also include religious and political beliefs as well. We are starting to see many of those beliefs being injected into our own cultural and democratic society, ie. challenging the English language as the official language of the United States; being challenged or sued by someone who is offended by the name of God; and the list goes on.

We have to be "politically correct" (sensitive and understanding so as not to offend those of other cultures or beliefs) so much so now that we don't even know who we are anymore.

So, for the purpose of discussion (not arguement) I pose the questions:

Is America and her founding principles disappearing?

What does it truly mean now to be an American?

Is America and her founding principles disappearing? YES..very slowly..so it is not as visiable..I will wish ANYBODY a Merry CHRISTMAS..and if they don't like it..TUFF..here in the south we had businesses putting signs out..We will wish you a merry CHRISTMAS..guess what these poeople made quite a profit! I think this is where ALL the trouble started..taking bibles out of schools..OY..I am gonna get it now..BUT this is what I believe and stand for! The founding fathers made that VERY clear..this country was build on a christian foundation..If you want to bring down a house its best to rock the foundation
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

What does it truly mean now to be an American? Proud, ;patriotic, God fearing, hard working, poor helping -by choice..helping neighbors, FREE!!

1.) Yes, to put it simply.

2.) a lot of the fighting is because one religious view, wants to force others, over to their light. When this country was started..it was started by many different religions and because of the fighting in Europe..is the biggest reason they seperated State and Religion. Religious wars were a nasty business lasting generations, something many founding fathers & mothers wanted no part in.

James Wilson... was a direct family member to my Father's side. Suprising how many spout this and that... like they know the minds of all that were involved....yet.. are not related to any.

I very much dislike how so many feel it is their duty to force their views on others.... what is sad is they have no right to do so. Sigh ~~

What is it to be American.... to help someone with NO strings attached...be it religion or what ever. I give to the local food bank and many others.. from my heart with no strings or requirements on my part...it is given freely.

Added: Happy Yule season everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think America's founding principles are fading, but it has little to do with the above issues.

America has no official language, we never declared one. We do not have an official religion, which is in accordance with our Founding Fathers' wishes. We are a nation built on immigration, and so while American 'culture' seems hard to pin down, it isn't. We are the world's melting pot. We welcome all (or should), and we accept them into the fold. We celebrate Thanksgiving. We celebrate Cinco de Mayo. We celebrate Chinese New Year. We celebrate St. Patrick's Day.

We are ENRICHED by new blood and new challenges, not diminished by it.

I think America's founding principles are fading, but it has little to do with the above issues.
America has no official language, we never declared one. We do not have an official religion, which is in accordance with our Founding Fathers' wishes. We are a nation built on immigration, and so while American 'culture' seems hard to pin down, it isn't. We are the world's melting pot. We welcome all (or should), and we accept them into the fold. We celebrate Thanksgiving. We celebrate Cinco de Mayo. We celebrate Chinese New Year. We celebrate St. Patrick's Day.

We are ENRICHED by new blood and new challenges, not diminished by it.

What /..the question was about JUst that..

I think you just looking for more stuff to celebrate..
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back