What does "fully descended" mean to you?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

Does the term "fully descended" mean the testicles are visually descended or can in mean you can't see them necessarily, but can feel them and they are passed the inguinal ring? Does it mean different things to different people or does everyone generally have the same understanding?

Would love to hear opinions! Thanks!
default_yes.gif

I think that "fully descneded" means that they are through the inguinal ring and can be easily palpated. Being as I'm from Minnesota, I know that they can be sucked up to the nostrils when it's cold. If I waited for them to be visible, they'd only be seen in June (and not yet this year)....LOL

I agree with Adam. I just had a colt gelded and sometimes, he'd have one fully visibly down, but usually, he held them both up to his body. I could easily feel both of them, and knew gelding would be NO problem, and it wasn't at all
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

In case it matters, my guy is just a yearling. He was gelded just show of his actual 1yo birthday (not what he had requested as a bday gift)
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but just had to say Adam your too funny. Thanks for the early morning cheer. It's cold there huh?
default_biggrin.png

I agree with Adam. Sometimes they are visible, sometimes they are not. But through the inguinal ring is what matters. Weather and other factors come into play as to whether they are easily seen with the naked eye. But if both can be palpated and are below the ring, then the stallion is 'fully descended'.

I'm sorry but just had to say Adam your too funny. Thanks for the early morning cheer. It's cold there huh?
default_biggrin.png
It's so odd here. We have had a couple days in the 80's, then the last two days we've had major storms with a lot of rain. Yesterday, it dropped from 86 to 48 degrees in about two hours here. Talk about screwing with your system.

Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate hearing what others think and it sounds like everyone agrees with Adam
default_aktion033.gif
*shakes head thinking what has this world come to?*
default_wink.png
You know I love ya Adam!!!

I'm selling a yearling stallion for someone else and I've gotten the question and thought I knew the answer but then started wondering if some people only considered them "fully" descended if they could see them hanging down. This little guys has them both there, but he keeps them to himself most of the time...if you know what I mean
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks again!

I agree, through the inguinal ring. I just had my 2yo colt gelded and being that I am in Minnesota too
default_wink.png
, he had them sucked up, but below the ring.

Latest posts

Back