What does everyone do for a living?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I scheduled the corporate aircraft and coodinated the flights/trips for the top executives of

a major chemical company....until our son was born six years ago. I never dreamed I'd want

to stay home with a baby, but after he was born all I did was cry when I thought about leaving him at the

daycare we had previously lined up. I waited 43 years to have him and I didn't want to miss a thing!

So.....I have been a stay at home mom for the past six years. Every time we drive past the

airport which my son now finds so fascinating he wants to hear about how mom thought taking

care of him was so much more important than going back to her job at the "exciting" airport.

As for me, I sure don't miss the stress of catering to my prima-donna clientele...of course,

now I have to answer to my little "boss" 24/7!
default_wacko.png
:

Shelley

[SIZE=10pt]What a great thread! :aktion033: [/SIZE]

I was a bakery manager through my twenty's and early thirty's - I loved that job. Did every thing from hiring, ( sometimes firing ) payroll, ordering, pricing and murchandising of product, ect.

Then I left the big city life to move north to a tiny little town where every one knows every one. For the last five years I have been the prep cook for a 111 year old supper club. The pay is not the greatest ( ok - it's pathetic ) but this is also a job that I love. I make my own hours and work solo, not another person in the whole building. ( And you know what that meens - know one looking over my shoulder and I can listen to my own radio station! ) Life is good! :lol:

Lori

Another stay-at-home mom.

I have three boys. My husband is a commercial fisherman out of Alaska (like the ones you see on Deadliest Catch/Deadliest Season), and here off the Oregon/Washington coasts. Hard to work a schedule around that, and so staying home works best for me since he is gone for a few months at a time part of the year.

It is a lot of work, but I love it, and would not trade it for anything. I do kind of miss the relationships and experiences of being out working, but not as much as I would miss my babies.

I also have the horses, and it's nice to be able to be here all day long for them as a "benefit" of my "job."

Liz M.

Great hearing from everyone so far.

Years ago i loved saddle training horses and watching them learn to trust and feeling their minds figuring out what was asked of them. After a few bumps and a little age on my part i put that life aside. My love is the Arabian Horse. But i sure was able to enjoy a lot of wonderful horses during that time.

I also worked as an electrical/hydraulic assembler of lift equipment for forklifts and independent moving. Yes i have seen my share of hydraulic fluid showers! Retired early from the factory as we also have a farm with Belgian Draft Horses and beef cattle along with the Miniature Horses. Raised my 3 kids and finished raising hubbys 3 kids too. Have 10 grandkids. Life is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to work at a seafood plant and worked the kids school schedule so I was home when they had no school but about 3 yrs ago now I think, they let a bunch of us go. After that I painted for my BF who is a carpenter/contractor and I also do his books. Things got slow with the painting so I went to work at a day care that I had worked at years ago but it was taking up to much of my time, lol :bgrin so I quit that job. Now i'm back to painting and things have picked up, i've got 7 ceilings to start on next week yippee!!!

Leslie

It's more like "what do I do to support my habit?". I'm an RN and I work in the emergency dept. I've been a RN for 27 years and in the ER for 23 of them. It has supported my various "horsey" habits for years! :bgrin

I used to be a surgical scrub nurse on the cardiac team at a Boston hospital. When I wasn't in the OR, I was an assistant instructor at a martial arts school (I have a 2nd degree black belt.) For the past four years I have been a stay at home mom to my two kids ages 6 and 4 and do some photography on the side. I love being home with my kids!

I think it's kind of funny..... we all refer to our jobs as a way to support our horses. To heck with supporting ourselves, we come second, to our many families of 2- and 4-legged children.
default_smile.png
:aktion033:

Guess you could say I have a sweet job!!! I work at a candy factory, Nestle's, been there for almost 34 years now, I run the machines that make Goobers, Raisinets and Buncha Crunch.

This so cool to read about so many varied jobs!

Larry used to be a high school teacher. I used to be an editor for a newspaper. Then, we both owned and operated a landscaping business in Portland, OR.

More recently, Larry has been a livestock transporter - specializing in miniature horses, mini donkeys, ponies, llamas, and alpacas. He also now is the Retail Sales Manager for the Sun River Observatory.

After the landscaping, I fell into the Antique business -- working in a local shop and becoming a partner until we all got smart and started doing more of our sales via the internet.

Owning and breeding our horses is a full-time "business" and PASSION, with a parttime income for both of us.

The most important "job" and passion for both of us has to be as parents.

MA

I am a wife and mom to two children. Our son is turning 26 this month and lives in another state. Our daughter 18, lives at home with us and is as addicted to mini's as we are. In fact we got "into" mini's because of her---ha ha we have been just as consumed as she is. My husband and I own a jewelry store in a town with the population of about 6400, where he works full time. I work at the local school district as the bookkeeper full time. We have a small farm on 5 acres with 19 mini's, 1 donkey, 3 cats, and 3 dogs. We love to show, having around 6 horses now on our show string last year and this year. Life is full, sometimes too much....but oh well isn't that why we are here? To live? :bgrin

[SIZE=12pt]I am a Police Officer for the State of Colorado. Working split shifts at the moment, days and swings
default_wacko.png
: [/SIZE]

I've been a law enforcement Officer since 1998.

I will be swapping hats soon though :bgrin Bill and I will be moving to our house in Florida as soon as our house sells here in Colorado and we will be starting [SIZE=12pt]our [/SIZE] miniature horse transport business
default_wub.png
: I've also been in the equine industry for 38 years breeding, showing, training and in my younger years as a riding instructor for english equitation on the flat and over fences. Love my beasties
default_wub.png
: Can't wait to be able to show at all the great shows in Florida. Ocala is only 30 or so mile from our house :aktion033:

I'll play too. For many years I was store manager of a fast food restaurant then moved to training manager which meant training managers and district managers for stores. Then I changed to loss prevention manager and my job changed to finding the person responsible and taking care of the problem. I hated the loss prevention job because even though I was trained to find who the responsible party was, they decided it was more cost effective to just have me fire everyone and hire and train new crews. I hated firing people that were not doing anything wrong.

Then, we purchased a small cookie shop in a mall and expanded it to a bakery deli. We also purchased the fast food restaurant that I used to manage. 3 years ago, it got to be more than I could handle and we closed both businesses.

I then went back to work for the retail store that was my first job. I started as a stocker-cashier and now am the assistant manager of one of their larger stores. I love this job, I can come home after work and forget about the store. My hubby and I have talked it over and agree that I would rather stay assistant manager rather than have to worry about the business all the time.

I also take care of my parents on the weekends. Nearly every spare minute is spent with the horses. They help me keep my sanity!

I recently built a barn for my babies and am still working on it as time permits. I'm pretty proud of myself for building the barn, I couldn't even drive a nail without bending it when I started and right now it is at 6 stalls and I plan to expand it this summer. I built the entire thing with re-cycled lumber and tin and it cost me less than $300. I can now swing a hammer with the best of them.

Mary

With all the talented people within our "horsey" community, we could just start our own little world and have all the bases covered.

With all the talented people within our "horsey" community, we could just start our own little world and have all the bases covered.
I have often thought kind of the same thing, how through the network of horse people, just about all the professions and trades are covered
default_yes.gif
:

My business card says I'm a Senior Process Engineer for a major oil company, but I don't feel senior
default_wink.png
:

Currently, I support Liquefied Natural Gas facilities around the world in places including Trinidad, Australia, Equatorial Guinea, and Egypt.

I also do my best to be a good wife, mother of a 12 yr-old boy, and care for the 17 horses running around my place at the moment. Two on marestare
default_wacko.png
: Life is definitely busy around our house especially, when I'm traveling! Thankfully, my international travel will be slowing down after June 1 which should give me more time with my family and horses.

I have been working with a financial planner for the last 2 years and love it. Use to day trade before the .com's busted and am one of those people who enjoy watching Squawk Box. Just got my license to sell life, disability and long-term care and am also enjoying this. I am not very good at "selling" products but when someone approaches me and we fulfill the need I really feel good. Looking to get securities licensed as soon as I find a replacement for the office work.

To be honest l have never worked a day in my life...after school and a degree l was lucky enough to be able to bum around because l had inheritated some rental apartments so always had some money. When l married my present spouse of 30 years now he made it clear he didn't want any wife of his working while someone else took care of the kids. No problem for me but when l got lonely and bored he took it upon himself to get a couple of minis to fill my days and after that l was hooked and still am. Both the kids are now adults pushing towards there thirties one is still head over heels in love with the minis and shows and does a lot of the upkeep the other never once had an interest from birth but does horsesit now a days when we go to shows. lf l could go back l wouldn't change a thing...okay maybe on some days the husband. l have always gotten along with myself so never had a need to be with others which l am also thankful for..:bgrin

I've been in IT for 45 years. Started way back in the old days when we punched little holes in cardboard cards and ran them thru mechanical monsters. I used to tell people I dated Grace Hopper but that analogy has long since lost its humor.

Today I order a few circuits for the Wide Area Network but mostly I'm just the token old guy in the office. Every day I beg them to give me a package and put me out to pasture but they just keep giving me raises and bonuses and telling me what a great job I'm doing. I'll probably die sitting here in my little cubicle looking busy.

Occasionally my 33 year old boss will ask me for my opinion but not often.

default_smile.png

WOW!m Grace Hopper? I thought I was an oldie in IT, but you got me beat there! I do have to confess I still have a deck of punch cards in my desk drawer though.
default_unsure.png
:

Latest posts

Back