what does everyone do for a living

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own my own business- Photographer and Graphic Design! This is the best job I have ever had:)I get to meet some great people, many from here!!

Lisa

I became a stay at home mom this year. Previously, I managed a restaurant while I was pregnant, and prior to that worked doing tech support and customer service for apple ipods, iphones, computers, and software, and also worked as a cosmetologist and makeup artist in a very well known salon in Pittsburgh.

Hands down the hardest job I have ever had is being a Mom. Especially today....

My husband and I are both retired and find we are doing great on our fixed income.

We have downsized so we do not have to give up what we have worked so hard for, in our retirement a hobby of 7 minis, 2 fallow deer and a few dogs tee hee. Cannot forget my grand kids.

Hope to have a few more years before we sell and than we hope to travel where the sun is always shinning.

Oh better stop thinking about that or I might sell tomorrow..
default_wink.png

I work as a Secretary in a branch of the Federal Government. Been at it for over 20 years now and will probably be here another 15 or so.

I'm a freelance copywriter. The last time this thread came up I said I was a poker writer, but shortly thereafter Black Friday hit (in the poker community, the term refers to the day the DoJ shut down the three major poker brands). When all of Full Tilt's shady dealings were exposed, I couldn't feel good about my work anymore, especially since the biggest tournament blog I wrote was for FTP. I've gone back to writing sales copy for a handful of regular clients, and while it isn't as exciting I also don't have any ethical dilemmas about what I'm writing now. This year I also discovered that my husband likes crusty old stuff as much as I do, so since we are moving back to my hometown where half of Main Street is for sale, we are currently working out a business plan for starting our own antique store. In the meantime, we've been hitting two or three auctions a week and are doing some pretty hefty eBay selling.

Social worker for a local county agency. I'm beyond envious of those of you who work from home!!! My dream!

I retired in 2003 after 34 years with the state of CT, so have good health benefits for hubby & me, plus a pension. Then I started a consulting business (On Target Health Data) with federal and state contracts (all federally funded). I work from home, set my own hours & rates, pick my clients carefully, and LOVE what I do. I sit at my computer analyzing data and watching the minis out the window.

Bit of trivia- In my very first job, I worked on developing tests to be used in the Apollo 11 project to determine if the moon rocks contained any likely pathogens. The astronauts and everything they brought back were quarantined while the tests were run.

After leaving college I went to work for firstly a law firm and then for a catering equiptment distributor, but eventually realised that being 'inside' for work didn't suit me! So having had my own horse for several years, I decided to go somewhere to carve out a career with horses (always my first love). Qualified as an Instructor in 1960 (I'm old!!) and started my own stables, teaching and taking competition horses in at livery.

Changed tack when I got married and went into farming - milking cows and raising beef, plus the odd livery or two who stayed with me. Divorce changed things again and I slowly phased out the cows and returned to the horses, no riding lessons this time but competition horses, breeding and live in students that I trained for their horse exams plus helping them to find jobs when they came to the end of their course.

Changed again in the early 1990's when I purchased a small farm and ran a free range chicken unit (5000 egg layers) taking with me 4 old liveries (the horses were the old ones not the owners!) and purchased my FIRST MINIS
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
By 2000 the chickens had gone and I was on another small farm with some 25 minis (how come they manage to multiply so fast?) and two elderly horses of my own. Mid 2000's and my two big guys had crossed Rainbow Bridge to join the others who had passed before, my family had all joined me at the small farm and together with our now 36 minis we moved en masse to our present farm in Wales.

So you could say I'm a 'stay at home' person - hard work but I've loved every minute of it! Nowadays I'm 'retired' and daughter does most of the hard work - I just help where I can - interferring they call it. LOL!!

I am one of the "lucky" ones I guess LOL! I get to stay home and be a horse mom and housewife
default_laugh.png
Pretty sure the barn is usually cleaner than the house though, Im not good at householdy chores
default_rolleyes.gif
. I feel very fortunate to get to spend so much time with all my horses, dogs, and cats though!
default_wub.png

Previously worked as a Sr. Account Executive for a major publication; now work in Communications for a well known company.

Liz N.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work for a fairly large retailer. I do the item entry and programming for their POS computers, I don't mind the job except I am in an office all day. I miss working in the stores with people. I do occasionally go to one of the stores if the manager is going to be out or if there is a major sale starting. I will be in one of their stores for Black Friday and Saturday then back to my office.

The good thing is that when I am in the office, I work 8-5 most days.

I used to own both a bakery and a restaurant but closed both in 2004. I miss the bakery but not the restaurant. I have worked for this company that I work for now since 2004.

I am disabled. Most of the time I can handle my condition. But, today, I did have to use my TENS unit. I could hardly breath. I would like to work part time and with as bad as my mother has gotten, I need to find something I can do from home. There are sites that I check daily. However, no luck yet.

I am a chemist for a pharmaceutical company - have been there since I graduated College and hope to be there for some time yet.

I used to be an Insurance Broker for a large Corporation and I ran an insurance program for Seniors Facilities all across Ontario but I retired January 1, 2011 so I stay at home now and spend time with the horses and dogs. I teach retriever classes, to people who want to to run hunt tests or working certificates with their dogs and I also board dogs so I am not twiddling my thumbs lol.

I am a former teacher for the last 55 years-a few years full time&many part time jobs.Didn't do it long enough to collect retirement just when I needed money for other things like my horse habit.I have had a weight loss business,sold real estate, owned a clothing store&bath shop in a resort area, owned my own construction company and built several spec houses(I did designs and blue prints by hand before computer aided drawings)and developed a residential neighborhood from part of my farm.I have had the Minis since 1988 and was breeding them while doing some of the other things.I plan to work at something until I am old and feeble.I'm not the type to sit around at the Senior center.From what I read on here, most of the forum members are the same kind of people.This is a very diverse and interesting group of people.I am enjoying reading about the great variety of occupations of our members.

10 years retired and loving it. Now have the best job in the world......servant to all my 4 legged hairy friends.

I am a full time student at college working on microbiology and animal science majors. I work about 10 hours/wk in various research labs on campus, 20-30 hours/wk as a receptionist at a clinic, I try to do some vet 'shadowing' at least twice a month, and I manage/run the farm too. I am always running around doing something, but I love it. That being said, I'm a senior this year and can not WAIT to be done with school!

I am an Artist and is one of the only things I can do now.

I used to train horse's at private barns and work at big Nurseries. Can no longer do either, but I do have my Art.
default_yes.gif

I was a paralegal for several law firms finally being able to stay at home and run the farm 24/7 a few years ago. I ran my own lesson barn here on my property teaching different riding disciplines from ages 5 to adult. I stopped teaching full time to enjoy showing my own horses. There is so much to do and at times I don't even know where the time has gone. Don't know how I did it juggling both working out of the house and running the farm but I did. For anyone who doesn't know, it's a full time job......and one that I LOVE!
default_yes.gif
I also enjoy making jewelry and working with gems/semi precious stones. My dogs, horses and livestock are so much happier with me here. Couldn't ask for it any other way. Oh and I also juggle a hubby that works hard for us and the electric company.
default_wub.png
default_aktion033.gif

My husband and I are former high school teachers. For the last few years while we were teaching we started doing soil tests (perc tests) for new and replacement septic systems. We had to get licensed by the state to do this. It went so well that 13 years ago my husband decided to take early retirement from teaching, in order to extend our soil testing season into the fall and spring months. I quit my teaching job when he did. We went on to get licensed in other areas, such as Wetland Mitigation, Private On Site Waste Treatment Inspection, and Septic System Design.

We love being our own bosses. I go to all the sites with him. My job on site is to shoot all the elevations we need, and I dig the holes with the backhoe. We try to only work three days a week in the summer, but often end up working four, but we are always home no later than 3 PM and we never schedule jobs on Fridays, so we always have a three day weekend. We work so well together that we can go to a site, get the holes dug, the soils analyzed, the elevations shot, the houses and outbuildings all drawn up and be out of there in 90 minutes.

Latest posts

Back