What does AMHA need to do to survive?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffian

Reaction score
Let's be nice -- but what are some things that AMHA needs or should do to increase participation at shows? The classes I've watched at Worlds are tiny compared to Nationals.

Some things I've thought of would be moving the World show - perhaps rotate it again like they used to? Find a way to have/support/promote local shows? Change the judging system?

I've been a member of AMHA pretty much since they started, and would hate to see them disappear.

Somehow they need to get more clubs to put on shows in different parts of the US as certain areas (like ours) have very few shows that are a reasonable driving distance. I do think moving the World show would help even if it just moves to Tulsa, gets it that much closer for some of us that would love to go. I realize it is probably hard to find facilities to host the larger numbers of horses. I do think that some of the classes at the World show are huge, have seen some good sized halter classes, Liberty had a lot of entries as did the showmanship/obstacle classes and some of the driving classes so I dont think that AMHA is necessarily hurting as there seems to be a lot of horses there but still would love to see it more convenient for those of us that want to go. We prefer AMHA and the type they promote so it bothers us not being able to participate in a lot of their shows/world show. One reason that AMHA also has smaller classes than Nationals is simply that there is more work involved to qualify, pretty much anyone can go to Nationals with hardly any effort, just have to go to two shows and show in at least one class at each, AMHA is more difficult (which I do like) even if you do the hardship qualification you still must show in every class you would want to at Worlds which also helps support the local level shows. Hope all that makes sense and just my personal opinions.

I agree with you Dana. I also would LOVE to show my 34" and unders at a AMHA show instead of AMHR where the lil ones get over looked.

I also hate DNA testing. I know its a good thing, BUT AMHR dose just fine without it. Its a lot of extra $$$ to spend when theres no AMHA shows around to help promote them and most of the time, folks (me included) own double reg horses but only AMHR the foals unless (I)/breeders keep the foals ourselfs.

I agree with the lack of shows across the country can certainly cause a problem when it comes to qualifying cause yes it takes more effort to qualify for your classes compared to AMHR Nationals by the explanation involved. But hey who knows if the show gets too big they may change it. Right now at Nationals the barns are full at Tulsa with a steady number of 1500 each year. Of course that includes the B division but the A division is by far the biggest. The prices may be higher at Worlds compared to Nationals, certainly with their stall fees but the awards are so much nicer.

I have been seriously considering hardshipping in my 2 boys next year so I can possibly go to Worlds, I don't think AMHA is doing anything wrong when it comes to their show but like Mary Lou said promotion does help.

And this is off topic but personally I wish AMHR did start making mandatory DNA. They have already started with the Sweepstakes foals but I think its about time that they should make it mandatory. What I do agree with tho is AMHA prices are pretty high compared to AMHR which makes it hard to do any registration work with both. But again this is off topic.

I agree that having to qualify for a particular class or division will cut the numbers down - especially when there are so few shows. Michigan used to have 2 or 3 and now none. The closest to me now is 6 hours away.

So being able to qualify is not feasible for me. Unless you send everything with a pro trainer and pay huge fees for transporting to the shows. I know because I did that 3 years ago, sending my stallion with a pro trainer. Even then there were more entries in the classes than it seems this year. I know for sure that the 32 - 34 CP driving at Nationals had 52 entries. AMHA had 9 or 10.

AMHA is a great registry and needs to stay alive! What would YOU suggest to save it??

I have no insight into what AMHA should do to increase participation but I watched both the Nationals and Worlds and the difference in class sizes was astonishing.

I think next year will be critical when it comes to bringing in new members and participation at not just Worlds but local shows as well and supporting the clubs. Mostly because of the closing of hardship at the end of next year. I really wish and this of course would be my own benefit that the last year they would cut the hardship fees in half. Hands down I would for sure hardship in my 2 boys and potentially gives them 2 extra horses in the show ring. Cutting the hardship would also bring in new members as I am currently not a member of AMHA. AMHR did this and they reported that it has been a great success.

I'm not sure if you can change the qualification rule because now you can start qualifying for the 2013 World Show and show in at least 2 shows under at least 6 judges, and if the shows didn't have the class you were trying to qualify for you have to show the show bill, etc... I'm not 100% on the rest of the rule.

I wonder if its because so many people have gone on the Shetland bandwagon so that's why people prefer to show R.

How much of the modern Shetland influence is actually at Worlds in comparrison to Nationals?

I wonder if its because so many people have gone on the Shetland bandwagon so that's why people prefer to show R.

How much of the modern Shetland influence is actually at Worlds in comparrison to Nationals?
We have active clubs in my area for both mini registries. As a new owner, and new to showing... It was much more expensive to show AMHA. The class fees were higher, the registry work was higher... And the showing structure seemed more complicated. In AMHA there were amateur levels and qualifying points and it seemed overwhelming. The cost alone turned me away from ever showing AMHA. I had shown in an AMHR show, and then compared the cost to entering AMHA and decided on sticking with R.

Plus, once I had bought minis of both A and B sizes, I could do more and show all of them at one R show so that's what I stuck with.

Just my situation.

But each situation is unique and I think there will always be fans of something.

As to the ASPC influence in AMHA, I saw posts of some doing very well at worlds so I know they're there...

I have always wondered why AMHA doesnt come closer or into Canada?? More particularly the Ontario region. We have allot of minis owners here and I have always been interested in AMHA just cant drive so far to show :p

Maybe there is a good reason why they dont come here that im missing though :p

In the Pacific Northwest looking at the show results anything 30" and under there is maybe one or 2 horses. I think that is sad.

CFM--in order to bring AMHA I to your area you have to have someone local to organize the shows. Local shows--of any registry--do not get organized by the registry, they are organized by local clubs, show committees or individuals. The registry simply sanctions the show once the local organizers have it all planned.

Agree Minimor. Everyone including myself always says," they". It isn't "they" it is "we" that would have to put on shows. They just don't happen. The work and the comittment that the people that put these shows on -whichever registry - is overwhelming.

If you really want a show you can do it yourself if you have the brains and want to work that hard, while sacrificing your own horses.

On another note, it is usually the average guy or local club that does all this work and the professional trainers that benifit. You don't see them downhitting the streets looking for sponsors or in the arena setting up jumps or buying stuff at the raffels to support the show. (maybe that sounds harse and I am sure there are some that do in their own local area.)

Too expensive and only 2 in the area (one about 8 hrs away) and then the classes are very small. So that is why when I did show it was with AMHR. Plus, all of my horses are AMHR, but only some AMHA (way too expensive to hardship).

Wanted to add that I love both registries, it was just easier for me to get to those AMHR shows
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with what all of you have said, but my take: when we started showing years ago the clubs in our area, like a three or four hour drive, would host AMHA & AMHR, the entries were always less at the AMHA shows so they stopped hosting them. this is just my opinion, but the big time trainers have taken over AMHA, the ammy classes are really not ammy classes, as I've seen trainers hand the horse off to the ammy, so they are pro trained. AS for AOTE, the rule book states that in order to qualify the horse must be trained by the Owner and not have been at a trainers since Jan of the year being shown, so people will have their horse professionally trained then enter the classes. Now really nothing wrong with that if you have the money to hire a pro. I can't flame those that do, cause I've done the same myself. Most people that are new to mini's just don't have the money to pay a trainer thousands to show & travel, it's only a few that have that kind of money in this economy. Now that attendence is done, locally and the shows are further away there is added costs involved for the average Joe owner, only to spend all that money and lose to a pro. Believe me I've gone to shows where I havn't had any horses entered, just to watch and seen the horses with trainers place, when they shouldn't have, some act up in the ring and the judge gives the trainer extra time to set up, but will walk past the AVerage Joe that is having trouble, not always, but just sometimes.

It would help the organization to go back and encourage the clubs that hosted their shows in the past to do so again, also the regional shows need to rotate locations, as in my area it is always in the North and too far away. One year it was hosted just six hours away and that worked for us as I'd be willing to attend every other year. Yes they need to pomote more, and have an ammy class for AOTE exhibitors that actually trained their own horses from day one to encourage new people with little money to show up. Also I belong to both organizations, but havn't been able to show for a couple of years, but would like to get back to it.

I agree with river rose.I am president of the Delmarva Minhiature Horse Club and several years back we hosted both AMHA &AMHR shows on the same weekend.We dropped AMHA after losing money on it for several years.I did a cost breakdown AMHA horses entered approximately 1.3 classes per horse and AMHR 3.2 classes per horse.No club can keep hosting shows and losing money.At that time AMHA entries were mostly professional trainers with big rigs and high dollar horses.AMHR was more family involved with 1 or 2 horses being shown by adults and kids in youth, amateur, showmanship and performance.For many years we have hosted very successful AMHR shows with nice ribbons and trophies and great hospitality.As far as AMHA absentee voting issues I questioned the possibility 1 year when I was fortunate enough to attend the AMHA national meeting I was told "If anyone really cares enough about AMHA they would be here at the meeting" I was quite upset since I know many people who care but couldn't afford the price of the trip or time off from a job they really need to keep.I know not all AMHA members act that way, but when members act in an eletist manner and somewhat snobby, many people are turned off and want nothing to do with an organization..I am sure in some areas of the country the situation is probably reversed. Having been show chairman I know very well how difficult it is to find a suitable location to hold such a large show.Most of the facilities are booked for many yers in advance and don't want to deal with a 1 year contract.The only possible hope of facility rotation around the country would be to find 1 or 2 other horse breeds that are having the same problem as us and get together for more bargaining power so locations could be rotated every third year.Years ago Arabian nationals rotated between Louisville,KY and New Mexico I think.Not sure what they do now.

I am fortunate to be a member of one of the two clubs(MN, SD) up in the northern plains area that host an AMHA show the day after their AMHR show. I was on the show committee for a number of years too and as anyone knows, its tough to break even on a show. One of the difficulties we have during planning is to find "local" judges and show managers (within 7 states) that do both AMHR and AMHA. Using the same judges helps keep the cost down and we don't like using the same judges over and over.

I am surprised about the promotions stuff because AMHA has a marketing packet clubs can use to promote. The MMHC AMHA show made the Winona, MN paper this past summer (my hubby and yearling mare...LOL).

I so wish there were more shows in this area too. Centrals is the next closest one and that about 12 hours away.....wish one of the Iowa clubs could start an AMHA show.......(hint, hint Melinda...).

Not sure I should put my 2 cents in here since I do not breed and rarely show. But I am a dues paying member of both registries.

Our state clubs work very hard! I know they must feel as though they are butting into a brick wall sometimes, trying to motivate members. I think all clubs, no matter what interest, are feeling member lethary now. People would rather stay home and play video games in the comfort of their homes, and live their lives via technology than get involved with actual physical activities.

There are lots of us out here doing fun and useful things with our horses besides showing. Would I show more often if shows were closer than 2-4+ hours away? Taking a risk of exposing my horses to infectious disease, the cost of travel, time away from home--everything has to be considered.

I am fortunate to be a member of one of the two clubs(MN, SD) up in the northern plains area that host an AMHA show the day after their AMHR show. I was on the show committee for a number of years too and as anyone knows, its tough to break even on a show. One of the difficulties we have during planning is to find "local" judges and show managers (within 7 states) that do both AMHR and AMHA. Using the same judges helps keep the cost down and we don't like using the same judges over and over.

I am surprised about the promotions stuff because AMHA has a marketing packet clubs can use to promote. The MMHC AMHA show made the Winona, MN paper this past summer (my hubby and yearling mare...LOL).

I so wish there were more shows in this area too. Centrals is the next closest one and that about 12 hours away.....wish one of the Iowa clubs could start an AMHA show.......(hint, hint Melinda...).
I have mentioned it to the Iowa based club that I am a member of and didnt get a lot of interest but hopefully can find someone to at least help put one on!

I feel it's way too hard and WAY too expensive for the "average Joe" to play at AMHA shows. This year, I wanted to show at Worlds, in AOTE Jr Gelding, Amateur Jr Gelding and 2YO gelding. I figured if I move back to PA I'd never get the chance, so I went for it. To qualify him for the shows you have to show under 6 judges at 2 shows, I believe. None of the shows we went to had the AOTE gelding class. I made it to two shows, but only 5 judges. So, since I wanted to show at Worlds, I HAD to go to Centrals. I showed in the classes I wanted and qualified.

So, we entered Worlds. CHA-CHING. To show in THREE classes cost me over $250. Stalls ALONE were over $100. Fortunately I live about 25 miles away so I didn't need a hotel or a farm sitter.

So, my take? Make it easier to qualify and lower the entry fees. The plaques are nice, but I'd rather pay less and just get a rosette. I did notice the Champ and Reserve trophies are different this year, neither had the bands that run along the top. The Grand Champions still had the bands.

Will I enter Worlds again? Doubtful. Even if I'm still down here, probably not. Just too expensive.

Latest posts

Back