What do your ponies get for feed each day?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony.Mom

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone feeds their ponies. I feed my two mini mares Purina Elevate 2x a day plus Valley Flaxseed. They get 1 cup of Elevate and 1/3 cup of Flaxseed a day. But also thinking of adding this to their feed as well has anyone else used it and how much do you give?

Screenshot_2018-10-17-12-58-46.png

I'm going to move this for you to the main forum. You did put it in the right place but there's not much pony talk here (on pony forum) and people with both ponies and minis frequent the main forum so you may get more exposure there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of this particular supplement.  Do you have a link to the product, so we can check it out?

I feed mostly a vit/min supplement with senior feed carrier plus flax, and grass mix hay.  Different amounts and mixes depending on the horse.

All my little ones live mostly on a good base hay throughout the year. I add in alfalfa hay during the colder months and also Mitavite "xtra zero" which is a no sugar grain. 

My little ones live on pasture, so I have to be extra careful at certain times of the year when the sugar levels are at the highest to limit their intake. 

So many contributing factors come into this question "What do you feed your ponies/ Horses ?"  Weight, Living conditions ( dry lots or pastures) , Laminitis issues etc.

I have a little mare that has previously foundered , so she has very minimal access to grass during the spring here. 

Most of mine have done well on good quality hay. If I need to add a little extra to their diet I like Maxi-Glo rice bran. It costs more per bag BUT you feed way less per feeding so it works out being much cheaper and much more effective at putting weight on an old, or underweight horse. 

I'm having some trouble figuring out my colts dietary needs right now. He's got a hay belly .

Hay belly is lack of protein.
We are trying to find him the correct balance is the current problem. He's on a high protein mare/foal feed right now but I think I'm going to switch him to a Performance Horse feed. It's higher protein than the one he is on. I like to keep them on grass hay and I'm thinking this is why I'm needing to go to a higher protein feed. Alfalfa has much more protein but I have a couple of horses that stock up on the alfalfa hay so it's easier to keep them all on grass. We'll get it figured out. We just weaned him a month ago so it'll be trial and error until we figure out what works best for him.

We are trying to find him the correct balance is the current problem. He's on a high protein mare/foal feed right now but I think I'm going to switch him to a Performance Horse feed. It's higher protein than the one he is on. I like to keep them on grass hay and I'm thinking this is why I'm needing to go to a higher protein feed. Alfalfa has much more protein but I have a couple of horses that stock up on the alfalfa hay so it's easier to keep them all on grass. We'll get it figured out. We just weaned him a month ago so it'll be trial and error until we figure out what works best for him.
You can also boost the protein with the alfalfa pellets for those that need it and can tolerate it.

Latest posts

Back