What do you use for bedding???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of bedding do you use?

• shavings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • sawdust

• woodypet (or similiar product)

• straw

• other

• Total voters
I use shavings mainly, except at foaling season then I use straw. I dont like the way the shavings can stick to the foals, shavings are so easy to clean out compared to straw, and I have 17 stalls to clean daily. I have never had a problem with my horses eating the shavings. I voted shavings. Corinne

I've used woody pet type pellets for 5 years. Love that STUFF! I can store enough to carry me through the winter (3) 12x12 stalls and (2) 6x12 under the kicker wagon. I keep mine well mixed, and to control dust in the summer time I just spray it down with the hose. Horses stay REALLY clean and I have not had a problem with odor at all.

I use shavings, but my preference would be for straw, although I'm worried they would eat too much of it! Straw is expensive over here - $NZ10.50 per bale, which is $US7.25.
new_shocked.gif

But shavings I can get for $NZ45 for a 100 kg bag - that's about $US31.

Brigid

We are a shavings farm - these work the best for us.

Straw when a mare is ready to foal, but when the foal is about a week old - back to shavings.

Back