What do you think?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovinarabs

Reaction score
I have been trying to convince my husband to spring for a smaller saddle for our daughter forever. He keeps saying that if we buy her a smaller saddle she'll "shoot up" and then we will be sorry. However, she is SWIMMING in this saddle, isn't she???? She is a very small little 8 year old and she does not grow by leaps and bounds every year. This saddle is a 15". I ride in a 15" for PETE'S SAKE! I want to find her a 13". Is that too small? What do you think? Her feet don't even reach past the saddle.

100_5218.jpg

Edited to add: Please no critiques, this is her very first time trying English in a class with her POA. They are both learning!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. If she's going to show properly, I would get her a proper fitting saddle. You can always sell the saddle after a few times or find one used. But for safety purposes, I would get her a smaller one. I ride in a 15" too!

That saddle is waay too big, she would feel better in a saddle that fit her properly too. I am sure you know this but wanted to mention it, most of the smaller seat saddles have trees for minis or small ponies so keep that in mind when looking. My daughter uses a 13 inch on her 13H pony but it's tree is for a large pony or horse. I love the picture, they look great and she'll cherish those pictures when she is grown
default_wub.png

Tell your husband we said -

cheap - cheap cheap cheap .

Seriously, buy that baby a proper fitting saddle.
default_yes.gif

and she looks precious
default_wub.png

I edited. I was commenting on saddle fit and rambling on.

I think your daughter is soo cute. I always wanted a POA.
default_wub.png

Emma

Who would critique that picture of adorableness??
default_wub.png
The only goal at that age is to stay on the horse and it looks like she's not only doing that but sitting pretty as well.
default_wink.png
I agree, get her a smaller saddle for now. She'll grow back into this one but meanwhile she'll have one that fits properly.

Leia

I called hubby this morning (he works on the road) and said, "Enough is enough, I have backers now and she needs a smaller saddle." You know what he said, "Maybe it could be her Christmas present." ARGH!
default_rolleyes.gif
He tries really hard with all the horse stuff, but sometimes he is just so stubborn! It isn't a huge priority as she won't really be showing consistently in English until next year, but I want her to practice this year in a saddle that fits and she feels safe in. She tries so hard and is such an amazing rider. We got this POA (who has a heart of gold) out of a pasture last September. She had been trained as a 2 year old and then had a four year break except for a few bareback trail rides. I trail rode Giggles in the fall and put a few rides in the arena on her. Then I took her to an indoor facility in April and put 30 days of riding on her. Libby has done all of her training since. (With a little help from Mom when she gets stuck.
default_wink.png
) And they are really starting to click now. They have always done the western classes, but Libby really wants to try English. I am just learning English myself so we are getting her lessons as soon as we get a saddle that fits her and the pony. We absolutely love this pony and she is just game for anything we throw at her. English, western, trail, you name it. Now that we have gone POA, we are sold on them! What a wonderful breed. And speaking of wonderful, you guys are so great! Thanks for the suggestions and smiles.

"Tell your husband we said -

cheap - cheap cheap cheap ." and

"Buy that little lady a proper fitting saddle, if for no other reason. SAFTY!! And tell your husband a man said that!"

I told him!!!

libandgig2-1.jpg

100_5097-1.jpg

i think she needs a smaller saddle.

you can try Kijiji.com it's a local classifed website i use it all the time, and they have listings in all major cites...well i use the canadian verison and i love it. It found me my bed, couch, tv stand, and puppy. there is also always saddles listed.

How could anyone say no to that smile, what a beautiful pair. Whatever the outcome, they are just precious.

You can check on tacktrader.com they have alot of tack or even try hoobly.com You could find a cheaper older 13" she can use until x-mas and then daddy can get her a new one!!
default_smile.png

I have been trying to convince my husband to spring for a smaller saddle for our daughter forever. He keeps saying that if we buy her a smaller saddle she'll "shoot up" and then we will be sorry. However, she is SWIMMING in this saddle, isn't she???? She is a very small little 8 year old and she does not grow by leaps and bounds every year. This saddle is a 15". I ride in a 15" for PETE'S SAKE! I want to find her a 13". Is that too small? What do you think? Her feet don't even reach past the saddle.
100_5218.jpg

Edited to add: Please no critiques, this is her very first time trying English in a class with her POA. They are both learning!
My daughter is very slim and small and she ride sin a 13". Your daughter needs the same size. Try your local horse and tack auctions. We pick her saddle up at one for $100 and it's in excellent shape.

Christy

What a pretty girl and pretty pony!!! I'll be looking for pics of her in her smaller saddle!

I think she's doing an awesome job!

Your daughter is a DOLL and she looks like a natural horsewoman! ("horsegirl"? lol) I hope you can find the saddle she needs!

Where are you located? I have a saddle that may fit her and I only want $25 for it. It was only used twice and in excellent shape its an all purpose with flaps. Its just taking up room in the garage and everybody elses butts are waaaay to big to fit in it in this household. Courtney and Kim use my dressage saddle anyway. Linda B

What a cutie!!
default_smile.png
Tell your husband you need to buy her a smaller saddle. You can always resell it and I feel saddles are the one and only thing I've ever owned that hold their value. I had two different English saddles that resold for what I originally paid for them.
default_new_shocked.gif
I bet there is a tack shop somewhere close to you that sells used youth saddles. My daughter has a gorgeous 13 inch western saddle with the fancy tooling and silver. Every year it seems someone is trying to buy that show saddle from us but it was a gift so we're keeping it for sentimental reasons.

Latest posts

Back