What do you think...?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreAcres

Reaction score
The county fair is this weekend and they have a few open halter class. Two of my friends are taking their horses (ones taking her stallion, the other her gelding). I was going to take my stallion but decided he needs more work around big horses before we attempt it (the classes are a mix of big and small horses, but mostly big).

Now I'm thinking I might enjoy taking my other horse, whose recently been gelded (about a week ago). He's calmed down quite a bit since his operation and has lost all his swelling.

I just wanted to get your guys opinion. If you were in my situation, would you take him? His saftey comes above all else, but I don't really see much of a problem with him going. What would you do?

Patiently awaiting your replies, Erin
saludando.gif

How far will he have to travel to get there? I just brought a recently gelded horse home (he'd been gelded for just over a week), it was a six hour drive. The vet who had gelded him was a little concerned about it, but said it would be ok.

I would ask your vet to be sure, but I think he should be all right if he is healing well. If you do, let us know how it all went at the fair, ok?
smile.gif

Erin, you know him best, and you also know this is close to home, this show, so if something didn't work out, you could always take him back.

I think since you are in touch with him, he should be alright. You had his tetanus shot and he's up to date on his vaccinations, right?

If you're really hesitant, you could always ask the vet.

Liz M.

He was gelded a week ago, so that would make it almost two weeks by fair time. I would make sure he is healed and you don't have to trailer him far. As for showing with the big guys, I have gone to many open shows...My only advice is when the better horse wins, some of those farmer/ranchers can get pretty mad if it isn't a cutting horse.
biggrin.gif
Good luck!

The fair is only like a 15 minute trailer ride from where he is right now.

He was gelded on the 12th so that was one week last Tuesday. The fair is this Saturday, so it would be about a week and a half after his surgery.

He has not had tetanus, but he's up to date on everything else.

Thanks for the replies, Erin

your friend is showing a stallion??? All of our county fairs say NO stallions. In fact one entry i just looked at said if you do bring one you will be told to leave the property immediately.

Kay not all fairs are like yours. The ones I have shown at I have shown a stallion with out problems.

Erin, I'll be there with Mingus, so I hope to see you (and I hope both boys remember that their stallion days are over!) I wanted to show Flash, too, but it's too much with just trailering in and no stall.

Linda, registration is at 7:30, the show begins at 8:30 with two stallion classes, and the geldings follow, so I'd say they're between 9:00 and 10:30.

They have the good sense to have the stallions in and out before any mares are around making yummy piles of manure...

BYW...I'm giving Mingus his bath the day before the show!!!!!!!

Well sadly I won't be able to take Tango to the fair this year because the friend who would be hauling him there for me is busy. Oh well, we will be there for sure next year, so watch out Susanne and Mingus
wink.gif
!

Erin

Darn, Erin, I was looking forward to seeing you and Tango!

You know, he'd fit quite well in a minivan, something you might want to consider in the future (perhaps better than buying a big ol' truck+trailer?). We've decided to eventually get a Ford econoline as a fulltime horse transport, and then install a permanent safety barrier and folding dividers. If we can find an old church van like Lisa did, we can also have room for extra seating or a space to sleep.

Latest posts

Back