What do you think????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=14pt]Im serioously thinking about taking a good horse to each sale I can attend....present it well....and see what happens. I had 6 people ask for my business card before durring and after the sale at Mt Airy. Unfortunately I didnt breed the horse I was selling nor did my friend who I bought him from. He came from out in the far mid west. These people were interested in having a horse like him. I have several bred to him for next year though. I think if we aspire to take some good ones out then people will be able to tell the difference. Even the new people will notice the difference and we will see prices go up on the deserving horses. Amy I crazy in this thought or are there more of you who will follow with me?[/SIZE]

Lyn

lyn_j said:
[SIZE=14pt]Im serioously thinking about taking a good horse to each sale I can attend....present it well....and see what happens. I had 6 people ask for my business card before durring and after the sale at Mt Airy. Unfortunately I didnt breed the horse I was selling nor did my friend who I bought him from. He came from out in the far mid west. These people were interested in having a horse like him. I have several bred to him for next year though. I think if we aspire to take some good ones out then people will be able to tell the difference. Even the new people will notice the difference and we will see prices go up on the deserving horses. Amy I crazy in this thought or are there more of you who will follow with me?[/SIZE]Lyn

428251[/snapback]

[SIZE=21pt]Lyn, You have truly "hit the nail on the head" This is exactly what I tell everyone, that sales can be one of the most productive marketing tools you have. You can run ads in the magazines, put out posters or what ever, but there is nothing as effective as putting good well groomed and presented horses in front of the buying public. A picture in an ad is good and we should do that also but it can not do what the real horse presented in person can and the sale is where you get the greatest concentration of potential buyers together in the same place at the same time. We typically have over 300 people at our sales and even if they don't bid as much for your horse as you would like to have the difference is cheap advertising if you have a quality animal and will produce a lot of traffic on your phone, webpage, and eventually to your farm. I believe most people think of a sale only as a place to go sell the horse they consigned and miss the greater opportunity of making it a marketing venue for not only their farm but the industry as a whole.[/SIZE]

Okay, I'm off my soap box now and thanks Lyn for bringing a nice horse and for understanding the importance of sales as the marketing tool they should be!

Ronnie

kaykay said:
I was so proud of a friend of mine at the last auction i went to.  she was selling a beautiful stallion with great breeding.  the bidding stopped 500.00 shy of what she wanted.  Most of us would have said okay ill take the lower price.  But she didnt she stood firm and you know what?? the bidder coughed up the extra 500.00.  But how many people have the guts to do it??
427732[/snapback]

I think this is a great example of why horses at a sale don't get higher bids. Pleople are hoping to get away with a steal and if sellers break down at the lower price people are going to take every advantage of that. If the sellers would just stand their ground eventually the buyers would have no choice but to pay the price if they WANT the horse. If you want XXX amount of $$$$ for a horse DON'T take any less. Simple as that.

Also auctions and sales, for a lot of people, have a stigma to them. A lot of bad things can happen since you have so little time and you can't take the time to do research and a vet check....etc... So it's a little scary paying that much money for a horse that you've not had checked out than if you were to search around and find the right horse at a farm where you could do all the checking you would need to feel comfortable about spending what is asked for the horse.

I dunno...anyone else think I'm crazy??
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back