What do you think?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGStables

Reaction score
I am trying to slowly and carefully add minis to my small herd. I do not want to get crazy like I have seen so many breeders around here do. They buy any mini that is breedable, registered, unregistered, correctly confirmed, or pet quality. I don't ever want to get like that. I want to be a responsible breeder. I am breeding for confirmation, disposition, and movement. Color is just a bonus but I love pintos! I'd like to know what everyone thinks of my current minis, I only have three and feel this is a good number to learn everything I need to with. I have one stallion and two mares.

This is my stallion, I drove 4 hours to get him. I loved how he looked and boy can he move! He is a powerful stallion but he is Mr Personality, he is really a good boy he dose get his moments but what stallion dose'nt? I could pull him out of the pasture tomorrow bathe him and take him to a show and he would be a perfect gentleman. His sire is Rivers Edge Black Velvets Snowfire who was very successful in the driving show ring. His dam is Diamond in Onyx of Misty Meadows she is a World Top Ten Producer.

547355_3662967450715_130276609_n.jpg

Rivers Edge Trial By Fire

33" AMHA/PtHA AMHR (pending)

Palomino Tovero Stallion

Now for my mares

This first mare is Fun E Farms Isnt She Lovely she is an awesome little mare, when I got her she hadn't been worked with much and was a bit difficult, but it only took a week and she learned how to be a good girl I even took her to a show and she won the Mini Division in Halter and In Hand Trail. She is really pretty mare that I think is Double Homozygous (Black & Tobiano) I am going to get her tested soon to find out for sure.

298075_2082772266823_1495410_n.jpg

Fun E Farms Isnt She Lovely

34" AMHA/AMHR

Black Tobiano Mare

My final mare is my newest addition Menagerie Spooks Little Black Dress. I came across her on a horse classified I was looking for mare I could show and breed and fell in love with her. She is a great mare, I don't think she's ever seen a trail course before and today I put her threw mine and she never missed a beat. She is so smart and sweet, though a little nervous at times. She is a really pretty tobiano with very little white, and the way she moves is amazing. I took her to her first show a little over a week after I got her and she won the Mini halter division, I did not try In Hand Trail but will be in July!

579869_3540006096758_1666866971_n.jpg

Menagerie Spooks Little Black Dress

36" AMHR/PtHA

Black Tobiano Mare

Beautiful horses! It is a fine trio to start out with, their color and bloodlines seems fit for what you want to breed for. It would be a good idea to get all three of them DNA tested so you know exactly what you'd be getting yourself into. Your stallion is gorgeous! If I were you, I would look into other color pintos as well to spice up the mix. Excellent horses to start with though! And unless you plan on getting other stallions (which is not usually advisable) I would get at least two more mares. IF you want to keep it small. Currently I have six mares and one stallion and that works just fine for me. If you want to get top dollar out of future foals, check in to see what blood line are really sought after around your area (which is apparently NY, same as me). Around here, we like Hemlock Brooks Egyptian King, Rowdy, Boones Little Buckaroo, and Gold Melody Boy. I will not purchase a horse without at least one of those lines. Of course if you plan on selling geldings, bloodlines aren't too looked into. Beautiful coloring, fluid movements, excellent conformation, and superb bloodlines are what will help you to make a ton of money! So, just look into purchasing mares with some of the bloodlines listed, and go from there with looks and such. Years back I bought this ugly little mare, but she had the bloodlines and sure enough her foals were gorgeous! Excellent horses to start, they are all very beautiful and good luck with your herd!

Just want to say that your horses are beautiful!! You have made a brilliant and sensible start to your future herd.
default_yes.gif

Good luck!!

I think you are off to a great start! You sound a lot like us a few years ago - lots and lots of research, not rushing into anything, and concentrating on PINTOS. I see nothing at all wrong with that! Do you show in the NY Pinto shows? We will do doing our first one in August after many, many years of doing only New England Pinto shows. If you like performance and especially versatility, then (to me) that is the place to show.

Good luck and hope to run into you and your pretty horses.

I have not shown at any pinto shows yet I PtHA registered my stallion and one mare so I can show her in more halter classes at the shows I have been going to. I show at P.O.N.Y. alot in Irving NY they have good halter classes there, I can show both my AQHA Halter mare and my minis.

Beautiful horses!! You are doing it all right. This way as you learn exactly what you want, you won't already have a barnful! Good luck with your horses in future shows, looks like you will be bringing home the blues
default_yes.gif

Thanks. I don't want to go crazy. The economy is bad too and I am not going to give any of my babies away down the road. I am thinking about possibly bringing a mare home from an auctin tomorrow but it depends if any are of the quality I stick to if not then I won't buy anything.

Latest posts

Back