What do you think?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOTTACK

Reaction score
I accepted a job over a year ago on a horse stable. I was hired to care for 8 horses that belong to my boss and 4 boarders, 7 days a week in exchange for living in a doublewide (All utilities paid by myself). Now my boss has 9 horses and 7 boarders (With another boarder coming soon). Boss also brought in 3 calves for me to feed during the summer months but now they are gone. We also have 2 additional horses (Boarders) that come here throughout the year and stay for a week at a time. Now as to date I am still offered just to live in the doublewide. Please tell me if I am wrong thinking that I am being used. When I accepted this job there was no mention of my boss getting more boarders, calves,etc.

Thank you.

You asked so...

I think free housing is a pretty good deal for the work even with the extra horses.

I know it is not easy work I was a professional groom for a large hunter/jumper barn for many years. I had WAY more then 15 horses to care for- they had to be groomed daily (as in show clean) bathed almost daily- all school horses had to be tacked up and untacked after each lesson as well as bathed before put away- did some walk trot lunge line lessons, all client horss had to be tacked up and waiting for owners to come ride as well as put away after grooming and bath. All extra feed had to be given by me. Horses had to be turned out and or ridden daily- wrapped- medicated all tack cleaned and that does not count shows.. and for that I got to ride some extra horses as well as get in on some group lessons with my own horse and a small amount of cash so to me.. housing seems like a great deal.

HOnestly I was more then happy to do it I learned a lot and really those were some of the best years of my life. Hard work but no place I would have rather been then at the barn

I did work 2 other jobs as well but they had very flexible hours so I could get everything done

If you feel the work is getting to be to much then try and renegotiate your deal

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering what is an average dollar per hour rate working on a horse farm? And would there be any consideration that you have to work here 7 days a week?

I know when I was a groom, the normal per hour rate was $8-$10. I think I worked 6 days/week.

Thanks Matt- I should have written that my position is Farm Manager

The best thing to do is sit down and talk. I really don't think they are intentionally taking advantage of you as all farms seem to grow, right? If you aren't happy then I would suggest going out for dinner and discuss your feelings. Perhaps, you can renegotiate your deal. Good luck.
default_smile.png

I would be less concerned about your current workload and more about where this could go in the future.

It seems reasonablethat there would be a range in number of animals and scope of duties, but there should be a clear understanding of what that range and scope will be. It would not be equitable for them to double the number of boarders and thus your workload for the same compensation.

That said, I would make it very clear that you love your work and appreciate having a job and a place to live. You just need to know what to expect so you can properly care for everyone. In other words, you're not complaining...you just want to clarify these things so you can do the best job you can.

Good fences make good neighbors, and a good, clear job description/contract makes for a good employer-employee relationship.

16 yrs ago........gosh, that's a long time!.......we had a FT farm person. He was provided a 3 bedrm/2 bath/ lvg.dng.kitch. trailer, fully furnished, all utilities paid and that included the phone (he pd any long distance), a work truck with all expenses (which he could use for own needs to grocery, doctor, shopping, etc.) which included gasoline & insurance, repairs, etc.

He fed, stalled, let out, etc. approx 40 minis......fed mini donks, goats, etc. This was a 50 acre farm, so LOTS of excellent pasture, own hay, ponds, excellent fence, everything.

He drove the tractor as needed to mow, work, etc. He worked from 7A-5P, with no issue to stop for lunch, or just stop -- if work done. We also hired a PT guy who came every day for about 4 hrs to assist as needed. We gave him every other wknd off. We were ther almost every weekend ourselves and worked, sometimes there all week helping (bath/groom, etc) and always there for couple of months during foaling/breeding season.

Oh, we paid him $300 wk, also...yes, taxable. He had fresh eggs from chickens, 1/4 of a steer when we butchered, fresh veggies from the garden -- which I tended majority of time.

Bonus at Christmas, day off and gift on B'day, we worked holidays out as needed/traded, depending on time of year.

I'm pretty sure we did right by him and he did a fantastic service for us!!

Our hired man is provided a 2 story, 3 bedroom house and is paid around $2100/month. He does everything. Don't know what I'd do without him
default_wink.png

Matt and Bess- if you ever need any help please let me know...

Matt- I do everything that I was hired to do & more (without being asked as I am aware of what needs to be done even if it is not in my job description) and now, little by little, I am told to do other jobs that use to be handled by another. I get 4 days for Memorial Day Weekend and 4 days off for Labor Day weekend. Work all other holidays. Except I had asked for 4 days off, starting on a Friday and would be back to work on Tues. am for my daughters wedding that was 15 hours away- well 1st off they were not happy about me taking this time off and 2nd, I arrived back home late Monday afternoon after driving 15 hrs and I did not do the pm chores (As I had said I would be back to work on Tues. am) well lets say at the very least they were VERY UPSET with me. I do get thank you cards that say what a great job I do and how they would be devastated (Sorry probably spelled wrong) if I ever left. I do get a birthday and Christmas gift as I give them plus there daughter gifts. This past June I had double pneumonia and Drs wanted me in the hospital but I stayed home and was in bed for 2 days when I was asked when I was going to get back to work- so I dragged my body out and did my job but let me say that was one hard month!

After I posted this post I started searching the internet and found my answers.. but I thank all who have responded here and for all the emails regarding this post.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and the best New Year to come!

Well, I have a smaller farm, fewer animals, am widowed and use no hired hands.

HOWEVER, our guy did the needed farmwork of fence repair, mowing, cleaning stalls, being there for feed delivery, going after feed as/if needed. We had about 30 mini donks and about 100 matured goats. There were LOTS of water tubs to clean, fill, etc. He helped me when I gave vaccines, clip hooves (to corral, hold, etc.) as needed, helped on bath & groom days, cut grass at our house, and every little thing we all do on our farms! He was given 1 week paid vacation and so forth.

Terrific guy, I still see him & his wife on occassion. He was terrific with the animals, kind and concerned about them. Great with farming & machinery, etc. Honestly, I felt lucky to have him and know I could count on him and trust him!! Especially since we traveled to horse shows, our FLA business and so on.

You need to talk with these people and set up something with a little more flex. However, you seem to be tasked with the care/upkeep of the horses. So, if they are asking more of you, this might be a point of negotiation. And, I have no idea the cost of housing in your area.

I have certainly considered another "ranch hand" -- but, unless I go back into breeding, showing, selling as I did then -- it just isn't in the wallet to do.

Latest posts

Back