What do you think of the write up I made

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js1arab

Reaction score
Even though I am not a big farm, I still get asked at shows etc. about the minis. I decided that I would make a sheet for absolute beginners or window shoppers. I want to help everybody, but sometimes people just want to know a little bit to see if minis would work for them and don't want to feel like someone is trying to sell them something right then and there. I thought maybe this little write up could be set outside my stall. I would like to make another with slightly more technical information at some point, but we have the state fair this weekend and thought this might be good for that. Let me know what you all think of it . The first part actually sounds a bit like I'm discouraging a sale, but sometimes new people start out by hearing all the cutesy or fun stuff and they forget that they require the same work as any larger breed. Anway, here it is, let me know what you think.

So you want to own a miniature horse.................

If you are new to miniature horses or are looking to get started with them; here are a few things you might want to know. Miniature horses make excellent companions, but it must be remembered that they are still horses and should be kept the same as their larger counterparts. They need ample space to move freely and access to the foods nature intended (grass or hay). While some people have taken miniatures indoors to raise them, they are the happiest and healthiest outdoors . Being indoors should be limited to therapy and ambassador work.

Miniature horses by nature are very inquisitive and friendly, but still need to be handled and socialized early on. Miniature horse stallions can be every bit as aggressive as a larger horse and new owners should seriously look into a gelding or mare or plan on having a stallion gelded if horse is to be a family pet.

While small, miniatures require the same care as a large horse. They do obviously eat less, but they will still need regular hoof trimming, annual vaccinations, deworming, and although it is generally not a problem, they should also be watched for skin conditions due to keeping a slightly longer coat than larger breeds. The teeth of miniatures need all the same attention as a full sized horse as well.

And of course there is always the burning question of what are they good for. Miniatures can be used for several fun activities. Most minis are capable of pulling a reasonably weighted cart. They are great therapy for older persons who miss being around animals, children who want to be around animals but are timid and those with physical or emotional needs. Miniatures also have their own shows and offer a variety of classes from the standard halter class to obstacle, driving and jumping classes. They make an excellent transition for those who love large horses but for health reasons or lack of space find it hard to own a larger breed. And of course, they are great at just being loved and bringing a smile to your face.

If you think that miniature horses may be just what you’ve been looking for, please check out the following resources or feel free to contact us.

Registries:

AMHR: 81-B Queenwood Rd., Morton, IL. (309) 263-4132

AMHA: 5601 South IH 35W, Alvarado, TX. (817) 783-5600

Websites:

Lil’ Beginnings (use these keywords)

Our Farm:

It’ll Do Farms

14585 US HWY 67, Macomb, IL. 61455

(309) 837-2826 for website -keywords-It’ll Do Farms

I think it sounds pretty good. Hopefully, it'll help curb the "they are like a dog" falacy.
rolleyes.gif

If I think of anything to add, I'll let you know.

Very good. Concise and to the point.

The one thing not addressed is shelter.

MA

Good ponit miniv. Sometimes I guess you just assume things would be common sense, but then, I personally feel it would be common sense that a horse of ANY size belongs outdoors and obviously that isn't the case with some
wink.gif
And for those who have brought them indoors for cute pics or health reasons I'm not talking about that, I just meant they should LIVE outdoors.

Oh and Chandab. The whole dog falacy is what got me started on writing this I think. I love to help people learn, but again, some people are afraid of getting a sales pitch just because they ask and OTHERS....well, let's just say I've been asked to many times lately about litter training, indoor housing and certain "other unproven uses" if you know what I mean. I hope this letter will be self explanitory on my opinion of those things
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
js1arab said:
Oh and Chandab. The whole dog falacy is what got me started on writing this I think.

449295[/snapback]

I had to throw that one in there, as it just came up with a non-horse owning friend. I don't remember how our conversation went, but she had been told that minis were like dogs... She got a polite earful and she was happy to hear the "truth". I thought afterwards, that maybe I had sounded like a know-it-all, so I e-mailed her; she wasn't offended and said I just sounded passionate.
smile.gif

Michelle,

I love your info, do you mind if I print that to hand out to folks who come looking? And may I add a link from my website?

js1arab,

I like your write up too, but I think adding something about shelter and the amount of space they require would be good too.

Hello everyone, sorry I took so long to reply. been gone to a show and off to another tomorrow. Thanks for the replies and Michelle, I will check your site as soon as I get home Sun night. Right now I'm going to fall in bed and die for a couple hours
biggrin.gif

Oh and Michelle. When I look at your your page on your site, since Kim says it's good, can I use it too
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back