What do you think makes a show great?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostandFound

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious. I overheard someone at a show saying they wished they had gone to the better show the same day. So if you have 2 that are close how do you chose? What makes you think one show is better than another? What do you look for or stay away from?

In Alberta, there are very few mini-specific shows so most of our options include suitable classes in open horse shows. For me, I look for anything the littles can do - standard is halter and showmanship, costume is a bonus if they have it, driving is very few and far between, although there are driving specific groups that also host events. But to get it all in one, nearly impossible. Nice ribbons are definitely a bonus and people seem to remember that, but I give mine back at the end of the show. Prize money is also really nice, but not always possible with the expenses of running shows. Prizes are always welcome.
Addition of a tack swap or trade show, food truck, vendors of some sort. It's kind of hit or miss if it's worth it for them, but I like to see them and do my best to support when I see them.
For me, the other thing I'm wanting out of a show is to have a lot of fun. I want a friendly environment where I can cheer for my competitors, good feedback from the judge - if applicable, safe location and reasonable price.

Oh what a loaded question! Here are some of the things I look for when I'm considering a show. Of course distance and cost is a base to picking them out, but I think the first and most important thing that makes a show great is the exhibitors. Are they friendly, supportive, and enthusiastic? Most importantly, are they getting to their classes on time?! The show manager and show stewards try their best to help the show run smoothly, but they need some help from the exhibitors. The announcer is a big part. If they are able to be efficient and professional it makes a huge difference as nobody likes showing at 2am. That brings me to a very important thing I look at when considering a new show, the class list. When are the classes I'm doing? Are they too close together so that I'll be rushed if I do driving and halter? Of course the judges are a factor. Have I shown under them? Are they National show judges for this year? Other things I look for is if the facility is in a good location. Are the stalls well maintained? Is the arena large enough for driving? Prizes are fun, but not a main factor. I do love finding shows with flat rate fees as it's great for giving my green horses experience at the local level. I will also ask friends who I know have done shows with that club in the past how they liked them.

Kelly is right. Shows are what you make it. I showed dogs for years and you just have to Egnore the stuff you don't want to be involved with and make it fun for you. Would be nice if there were NOT silly charges such as show out of your trailer or office and number fees. Might make it easier for more people to participate in them.

It's so interesting to see the different points of view! I mostly like a show that runs smoothly. I don't want to show at 9pm, or wait 20 minutes for my class while someone is questioning the rules for the class after the class is called. A show manager that answers emails, having both our classes on the same day, and small prizes make it perfect.

What makes a good show IMO:
1. The people running the show. Do they keep things on track so the show runs smoothly and on time?
2. Does the show have a good class list? Is the schedule good--again, so the show runs efficiently, or is the schedule a muddled up mess that causes delays with gate holds and too many tack changes?
3. Judges. Are they good judges who know their stuff and judge fairly? There are a few judges that I wouldn't walk across the street to show under.
4. Facility. Is the facility a good one, with safe stalls, good footing in the arena, close proximity of barns and show ring?
5. Turnout. Are there decent numbers of horses so that wins count for points?

Latest posts

Back