What do you think about?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerocket

Reaction score
Hi there:

Wondering what you think about this idea for stuff to auction for the rescue? MONEIGHs

Questions: Do you think:

1) People would bid on these?

2) Owners of the "famous" minis would participate?

What is a Moneigh?

Artwork produced by a "famous" horse.. and signed with their hoof print.. can be painted with their nose, feet, tail etc.. includes a lock of their mane and a photo of the artist with the completed unframed painting.

Here is the idea:

The Thoroughbred "recycling" center here named RERUN (rescue for former race horses) sells these on ebay in the charity auction... they are called MONEIGH.

The Rerun people go visit famous racehorses (stallions and mares) and take with them paint and appropriate art materials. With the owners' consent.. the horses paint with their noses, tails and feet.. hoof prints.. tail switches etc.. and a small lock of their mane hair is included on the painting. A photo is taken of the horse with the picture they painted and is included with the painting in the auction.

They have these very nicely framed. The minimum bid is $100 and several of them have sold for $800 or more. They also sell them at the local TB charity auction for much more money.

Things we would need to do to get these:

1) Come up with a list of horse/artists we think would be sellable.

2) Contact the current owners of the horses to ask for their participation.

3) Buy the art supplies

4) Find volunteers to go to visit the celebrity horses and procure the artwork... and take the photo.

5) Get the artwork and photo framed.

6) Put it on the auction - sell and ship.

What do you think? Too Complicated? Anyone think this is worth doing?

I can find out what type of paint they use and what other art materials are involved (type of canvas or paper etc..). I will also see if any part of this idea is copyright protected.. we could call it something other than MONEIGH if they have that reserved..

Here are three completed auctions from ebay:

Congaree's Moneigh

Serena's Song - Moneigh

Cryptoclearance - Moneigh

JJay

ohmy.gif
thumbup.gif

What cool pictures!!!

I could only imagine what Buckeroo would make... He would be a big one for us.

And how about Orion, or Double Destiny to name a few. I know that others could come up with some famous horses as well.

I LOVE the idea!!!!

Well how about having the successful rescues do the paintings? You can get "famous" horses too, but to benefit the rescue let the rescue horses be seen. You might even put on the painting with the lock of hair a small picture of the "artist"

Want to add too, with the personalities of the sweet dwarfs owned by forum members, they would make great artists. I would love a painting from WWminis Angel.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a fantastic idea!!! I love it. Can I put you in charge??
smile.gif
I have plenty of art supplies and i even have a mat cutter

Awwwwwwwww!!! Minimoneighs!!! What an ADORABLE idea! Love the dwarf minimoneighs ideas too! Tooo sweet!!!!!!

You could do both. Famous and a rescue. Probably would be easier to do the rescue.

Great idea for a fund raiser that can be done year round.

I like it too. Maybe all the Dwarf owners and famous horse owners can each do one and send it in to whoever is put in charge. Then we can auction them off. Just a suggestion.

Ginny

Last edited by a moderator:
I have emailed RERUN (the TB Rescue people who do the MONEIGHS) to see if they object to our copying them.. and to see what materials they use for the artwork.. and of course to ask for suggestions.

Will let you know what they say.

JJay

Here is their response:

Judith, actually, ReRun has legally trademarked "Moneigh," and have beenapproached in the past by other groups asking exactly what you are asking.

In the interest of being cooperative while still maintaining what has become

a successful fundraising tool for us (because our financial support

certainly isn't what it needs to be considering all the TBs needing a place

to go) we have worked with others hand-in-hand to create pieces which are

"official" Moneighs and then split the proceeds.

I, personally, LOVE the "Mini-Moneigh" idea and think we could certainly

pursue this with your group if you would like. Let me know if you all want

to go forward. There is currently a writer doing a story on the Moneighs for

some publications outside the horse world (Artist's Sketchbook, Family

Circle and Woman's Day) and I would love to tie your group in if at all

possible. At least one of the articles is being wrapped up very soon.

Shon Wylie

ReRun, Inc.
I will email you official CMHR people.. as you probably should be the ones "negotiating" and arranging our participation.. if you want to.

JJay

Please do email us with all the details as we have a BOD meeting scheduled and would like to discuss this.

I first thought it was somewhat a shame about having to split the proceeds, but after thinking about this I have changed my mind. If we are splitting the proceeds, then we will be drawing on their knowledge and their customer base for the paintings. I think it can work out very well for all involved. So I definately want to give this one some serious thought.

ANd I agree with Kay. Since you are doing most of the upfront work already as far as contacting the TB rescue, I think you should head it up for us if you wish to. And you are right about the legal end of it. The BOD has to be involved for that part of it.

Still, I really love this idea!

Since the name is taken

Maybe we could call it:

Mini Picassos'

Mini Whinny Picasso's

or think of something to that effect.

Latest posts

Back