What do you spend on a MONTHLY average???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many minis: 7

Grain costs: roughly $15 a bag, $135 a month

Hay: Alflafa/Orchard $8 a bale, $96 a month

Weight supplement: $30 a month

Close to $260 a month. Not too bad.

Southwestern Ontario Canada

16 horses

2 bales per day at $3.00 a bale x 30 days =90.00

1.5 bags of Horse Krunch at 17.00 a bag =24.50

1 bag of Omolene 300 = 15.00

1.5 bags of pelleted horse feed (5.00 perbag)=7.5

Kick Start mineral =18.00

Total monthly feed cost =155.00

$9.6875 monthly per horse plus blue salt which is minimal cost

Horse herd consists of 2 stallions, 6 weanlings, 8 mares and fillies

Green Springs, OH

14 horses

Feed: Broodmares/Maintance Horses - $12 Nutrena Sweet Pellets @ $7.50 bag

Show Horses - Buckeye Gro N Win @ $29.00 bag

Hay: Alfalfa Orchard Gras mix at $3.50 per 50lb bale.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Square bale a day for inside horses = $105 month

Broodmares roundbales @ $20 each, 2 per month = $40 month

Broodmare feed @ 7.50 bag, 3bags week = $90 month

Show Horses grain @ $29.00 bag, three month = $87 month

Probios 1 jar month = $9.00 month

Bedding 10 bags week @ 4.99 each = $199 month

Suppliments probably about =$75 month

Beet Pulp 1 bag a week @ 14.00 bag = $56.00 month

Alfalfa Cubes @ 1 bag bi weekly $ 14.00 bag = $24.00 month

Daily wormer $46 month

Not going to add up salt blocks, mineral licks or the little things...

= $691 ...or so..not counting farrier and other little things..

Thats not to bad...dad, if you happen to hop onto the forum tonight take a look at some of these other totals ^ ..see we are not doing bad at all
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Genie made a mistake should be $180.00 for hay

Total is $245.00

WE live in SE Kansas and have 16 Minis -1 llama-1 mini donk-2 big round bale a month-free CHOICE (WE HAVE OUR OWN ROUND BALES)

2-3 bags of SAFE & SOUND @ 11.78

1 BAG BEET PULP @ 14.00

10 SQUARE BALES OF BROME @ 4.25 PER BALE

SALT BLOCK-5.00

This is for the winter months only in the summer I don't have hardly anything except pellets & supplements for the mares maybe one bag every two weeks as they tend to get to fat on the summer grass. We have excellent grass. Does not include shots-wormings and such as I buy in bulk for the year on all that and do that stuff myself. Foaling season I do spend more on bagged shavings for the foaling stalls.

[SIZE=12pt]What state do you reside: Southern CA[/SIZE]

• How many horses do you own presently: 2 minis and 3 QH also 10 pygmy goats 1 potbelly pig (included all animals that eat hay).

• What is your feed (grain) cost: I feed a few different kind of grains averaging 82 dollars.
  • What are you spending on grass/hay/coastal/alfalfa: Grass hay square bale 10-12 dollars/ Alfalfa 13 a square bale averaging about 232 a mouth.
  • Total = 314 a month

I live in Ontario Canada

I have 7 minis

This is for the winter months

2 X a day = Hay cubes $9.00 a bag / 12 bags = $108.00

2 X a day = 1 bag Equilizer $25.00

1 X a day / 2 flakes spread out for all 7 when they go out doors for a couple of hours in the snow.

$2.00 a bale / approx. 8 bales = $16.00

This is per month.....

Total = $149.00

That is not pellet bedding, salt, dewormer, minerals etc.

oops forgot my horse crunch $15.00

total now $164.00

I apparently need to figure out how to cut my costs because I'm thinking I'm over-paying or over-feeding. unsure.gif
That's what I'm thinking also! How does one feed 7 horses in winter on one bag of feed? Or 16 with 2??? Not trying to pick on anybody, but I am curious as to how much per horse are you feeding and what are your weather conditions? My guys pretty much have free choice hay all the time (in feeders) because the weather has been so rotten.

I apparently need to figure out how to cut my costs because I'm thinking I'm over-paying or over-feeding. unsure.gif
That's what I'm thinking also! How does one feed 7 horses in winter on one bag of feed? Or 16 with 2??? Not trying to pick on anybody, but I am curious as to how much per horse are you feeding and what are your weather conditions? My guys pretty much have free choice hay all the time (in feeders) because the weather has been so rotten.
I feed a ration ballancer..most of mine only get 1-2 cups a day of grain so one bag lasts me longer..

To answer this queston for : Ruffian

1 bag of equilizer is only to be fed per horse 1 cup a day... depending on size?

(this is a complete supplement)

Did not say all 7 minis get equilizer...

Mine get 17% protein of hay cubes (alfalfa) /so that helps (Good Hay makes a difference)

( and there is no waste ) from our feed store buy 2 skids for the winter. cheaper that way, only 9.00 a bag / I use 3 bags a week Now this is not when we are in show season or when my mares are about 3 months from foaling.... they get added food than....

My Paso Finos horses used to only get good quality hay and a scoop of sweet feed daily and they where riding horses and we also showed.

Summer is different again being we have 5 acres of pasture.

Hope this answers your question.

I forgot to add in shavings, which I actually spend more on than hay! That bumps my total up to $178.

Where I live- South Florida

How many horses that I own/feed (I have one full boarder that I feed as well)

6 Horses, 6 ponies (all mediums/small) and 8 minis- for a total of 20-

I feed 4 different feeds- Legands- 12.95 a bag high fat pellets

Triple Crown Complete- 18.46 a bag

Triple Crown Growth- 18.96 a bag

Equine Senior- 18.56 a bag

I feed a T/A mix, and some coastal to the IR horses- T/A- Runs me $11.45 a bale- Costal runs me 8.96 a bale.

My total feed bill for the month is about- $1500

With my College courses already getting far more demanding, I am selling 2 of above horses, and all but one of the ponies, and 6 of the minis that are here.

The only reason I am able to keep the amout of horses I do now is because 3 of those horses are leased out, I make decent money selling horses and pony foals, and I teach a great deal of lessons.

The minis as a whole, are pure enjoyment for me. I love them, I love showing them, and I really enjoy having the foals around. Do I make any real money on them? Not so much. Do they cost me much? Not really-

My big horses farrier bills are what put me under really- I pay $75-100 for front shoes on them.

Yowzers! I'm with Parmela -- I am also either way overfeeding or paying way too much. Doubt that my horses would like me to cut back, and seriously doubt that any of my vendors would consider selling for less -- like I said, I need to get another job
default_sad.png

I'm in So. Cal

I have three horses- 1 mini (yes it is possible to have one mini) and 2 bigs

My mini feed costs- $27.00/month-He eats one bale of timothy per month.

Total feed costs-

8 bales alfalfa @ $15= $120

4 bags alfalfa pellets @ $15 = $60

1 bale timothy @ $27 = $27

Total $207

Thats more then I thought. When my biggest big was in training, but feed bill dropped by more than half.

I pre-purchased my grass hay load before the winter set, so took advantage of the before winter discount.

I am feeding 4 mini-horses, (2 adults and two yearlings)

The 4 of them will go thru about a 120 pound bale of burmuda grass hay a week so in just hay. = 48.00 month.

I feed a combo of enrich 32 ration balancer, and oats to to the yearlings, sothat may amount to 10.00 to 15.00 a month

I trim all my own hooves so no cost there.

we always keep a 50 lb 12-12 Purina mineral only block out to assure full mineral access. Lasts at least a year. 2.66 a month

Also a 50 lb salt/w sulfer block, 24-7 (seems to last forever.) pennies

So approximatly 50.00- 70.00 a month, durring the winter months and all are doing well.

Summer cuts costs in half as we have pasture.

Okay, I'll play!

What state do you reside: I reside in Louisiana

How many horses do you own presently: I presently own around 70 horses (all minis)

What is your feed (grain) cost:

I started out feeding Purina Stratgey ($9.50 - $10.95/bag). When feed costs started getting out of hand about 3 years ago I switched to a 12% pelleted feed called Country Acres(still made by Purina) was $7.95/bag. That feed is now the same price as what I was paying for Strategy!!!

100 bags pelleted feed/month = $1095

20 bags of Equine Jr/month = $350

What are you spending on grass/hay/coastal/alfalfa: I purchased 400 bales of weed free high quality Alicia Bermuda hay in October. It was $5.00/bale. I use about 60 bales +or-/month (depends on the weather) =$300

I am hoping my hay will last me until April, but not holding my breath.

So for just feed and hay my costs are $1,745.00/month.
default_no.gif

Does not include other care expenses or trainer show fees when I have any horses being shown.
default_wacko.png

I'll play too. Never added it up before- interesting

I live in Kentucky 2 minis/ no pasture

Feed: 1 bag $14-$16 lasts 50 days= $116

BOSS 2 bag $25 = $50

Hay: 50 bales mix grass $5 a bale = $250 10 bales timothy $6.25 a bale = $66

Shavings 1 bag a month $6 = $72 Vet 1X vaccs = $175

Dentist 1Xfloat per horse = $90 Ferrier 5X = $250

Various and sundry items

Approx cost per year $1080 or around $90 per month (less than the cost of Dish TV!)

On the other hand-- the cost to keep the 10-12 cats is about $200 a month! (heavy vet and flea med bills!)

State: Washington (about an hour and 1/2 south from Stacy)

No. of Horses: 20 (19 stalled) No pasture

Grain: $169 (LMF Showtime & LMF Devopment to show string and babies @ $23 per bag // Strategy & Purina Complete Advantage to all the fat mares - Avg $16 per bag)

Beet Pulp: $16

Hay: $310 Quality orchard grass and alfalfa - 80/20

Suppliments: $60

Shavings: $195

Wormer: $25

Farrier: Do my own

Total Avg. Monthly Expense - Excluding Vet Care: $775

Avg. Price per horse per month - $38.80

Latest posts

Back