What do you spend on a MONTHLY average???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Michigan

Feed 22 minis with 3 foals due in April

Hay- 2nd and 3rd cutting alfalfa large bales. 4.25 each 2.5 bales daily. approx 75 bales per month. Cost $318.75 monthly (winter time)

Grain- 8 bags Equine JR monthly 18.00 each. $144.00 month

5 bags Equine Adult monthly 16.50 each.$82.50 month

2 bags Equine Senior monthly 16.00 each $32.00 month

5 bags 10% Sweet Feed month 8.00 each $50.00 month

Shavings-45 bags per month 6.00 each $270.00 month ( this changes all the time depending on the season but usually goes up and never done
default_wacko.png
)

Doesn't include supplements that I will be adding for show season.

Grand Total-$897.25
default_new_shocked.gif

Oh My I thought it was closer to 700.00, don't tell my hubby
default_wink.png

I live in North Carolina and I have 1 miniature horse.

Platform Miniature feed, use about 1/2 bag/month- $9/month

Biotin-$4

Daily wormer-$7

he can come and go in his stall so it stays pretty clean, only add about 1 bag/month-$5

My husband's boss gives me all the hay I need just because he likes to play farmer on the weekends!

Hay-$0

Monthy average-$25

Wow! I feel so lucky after seeing what some of you are spending!

I also worm him with Zimecterin Gold 3 times a year, the farrier comes every 8 weeks, I spend about $225 a year on regular veterinary visits and of course salt is available all the time for him. So, I spend approximately $750/year total.

Not bad!

5 Miniature horses in NW Oregon:

3 bales Orchard Grass 80 lb+ per month @ 24.99/bale

2 bags of Strategy at 14.99 per bag

Worm meds $10 per month

Hoof trims are $15 ea. every 8 weeks so 37.50.

I don't average in the shots per month, the amount of those varies too much and we give them too infrequently...152.45 for a month. Might be more like 160 with the beet pulp figured in.

Liz

I apparently need to figure out how to cut my costs because I'm thinking I'm over-paying or over-feeding. unsure.gif
That's what I'm thinking also! How does one feed 7 horses in winter on one bag of feed? Or 16 with 2??? Not trying to pick on anybody, but I am curious as to how much per horse are you feeding and what are your weather conditions? My guys pretty much have free choice hay all the time (in feeders) because the weather has been so rotten.
My horses are on hay 24/7 in the winter and on average get 1 c.pellet mixed with beet pulp 2 x day more or less also mix in some oil for their coats. I give supplements and increase some of the pellet mix the last three months of gestation. Rotational worming also and I only have one that is a hard keeper. Now if I was showing which I hope to do this year with two of mine then I have cut back some on the hay and increased the pellet mix. I make a warm slop for everyone and they love it. I don't have any horses that are two fat or to skinny they maintain a nice weight and have healthy shiny coats. Our winter so far has been very mild but when it gets really cold I do increase their pellets. I would welcome anyone to see my minis and see that they are very healthy.

I am located in MN.

We have 2 big horses, 10 minis, and 1 mini donkey.

Monthly cost:

Grain, oats, and beat pulp $130.00

Hay $202.50 (we only pay 2.25 per bale for quality hay)

Total of $332.50. This is a high average cost. It does not include suppliments, worming, trimming and vet.

Our horses are fed individually 2x a day both grain and hay. All of our minis are show horses except 1 that is a brood mare and bred for 2009. Both Quarter horses are brood mares (currently open) and eat quite a bit of hay and grain. We are very fortunate to get the grain and hay at good prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently we are feeding 5 minis

5 bags of Strategy @ $16

1 round bale a month @ $35

total $115

of course this does not include worming, treats, farrier service ect.

I will be switching one mare over to Coastal hay next month since she is due to foal in May. We purchased it for $5 a bale, not yet sure how much will use over a month but I am guessing at least a bale a week for her ( she is an extremely easy keeper)

Live in NW Oregon...

Currently feeding just THREE horses.

Hay = about $40-45

Grain = $15-20

Treats = $5

Shavings = $25-30

So about $85-100 a month...some months more, some less...

Fascinating thread!

I am feeding six minis; including one 'maximum' B and one around 30", others are all right near 34"and similar in weight and build. There is practically speaking NO grazing here. I feed both a mixed grass hay and a top quality alfalfa, along with concentrates once daily, a stabilized ground flax, and soaked beet pulp once daily. I haven't factored in the cost of deworming, vaccinations, or other items like tooth floating; I do my own farriery, and always have.

Hay:mad: 5 1/2 bales/mo. grass(approx. 60 lb. bales)@$9.40/bale

@ 3 3/4 bales/mo alfalfa(60 lb. bales) @ $8.20/bale

Concentrates: Triple Crown Lite: 1 @ $20.95/bag (!!!!!)*

Triple Crown Senior: 1 @ $21.95/bag (!!!!!!!)*

Flax, averages $13+/mo.

Beet pulp, @ 7/8 bag @$20/50# bag (!!!!!)*

*All of these I just bought at the latest, AGAIN-HIGHER, prices....suppose the suppliers 'haven't noticed' that fuel prices have dropped???

I get this to add up to @ $160/mo., or between $26-27/horse/month.

Got to say, I HATE that the feed suppliers seem to me to be 'taking advangtage' to KEEP ON raising prices...Triple Crown, in particular--but, my horses have done so well on the program I have now that I am loathe to change it...a classic 'rock and a hard place' situation, for me.

Margo

What state do you reside: Central North Carolina

How many horses do you own presently: 4 minis, 3 are mares(2 in foal)

I have four acres of nice pasture (not fescue), so my feed bill is low. Only have to feed hay when the grass gets munched down in winter or one is in a stall for some reason. I increase the feed to the 2 mares last 6 months.

What is your feed (grain) cost: I buy 1 bag of Legends Performance every other month for the stallion and open mare ( $12.85) and 1 Mare and Foal each month at $15.95 per bag totaling about $25.00 1 bag of beet pulp (last forever) $12.80 1 bag of chopped alfalfa $16.00 (lasts a long time, too) They get 1-2 cups of feed, 1 cup of beet pulp and 1 handful of alfalfa in the winter(less when the grass is in) and free feed hay. $ 30 +

What are you spending on grass/hay/coastal/alfalfa: I buy (10) bales of orchard/timothy mix at $6.50 per bale totaling $65.00 per 3 months. $6.50/month average

One tube of wormer does all 4 every other month rotating wormer. $13.00 so $6.00/month

So my total is roughly $ 50 or less

But two babies are on the way in a month ot two , so this will change
default_smile.png

Ok Kimberle, why did you have to ask this!!!!

I have 11 minis and 1 on the way

I big quarter horse

Boy oh boy I got the shock of my life when I saw this thread and decided to sit down and do some figuring. I am so overwhelemed that I cannot even finish adding it all up so I just quit and made myself a nice hot cup of tea. I think it is very safe to say I have a whole lot more going out monthly than what I have coming in. Gee, isn't that how the United States got into National debt?

Just from looking at what I already have down here, its not the cost of hay, or the cost of feed that is killing me, its the cost of shavings. I do stall at night and during bad weather and I insist on nice bedding. So right there I'm screwed. (can we say that on here?)

I think its time for me to get serious and sell a horse.
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
5 Miniature horses in NW Oregon:3 bales Orchard Grass 80 lb+ per month @ 24.99/bale

2 bags of Strategy at 14.99 per bag

Worm meds $10 per month

Hoof trims are $15 ea. every 8 weeks so 37.50.

I don't average in the shots per month, the amount of those varies too much and we give them too infrequently...152.45 for a month. Might be more like 160 with the beet pulp figured in.

Liz

Omg, someone else from Astoria! I was raised there when young!! Lived at Emerald Heights, years ago, and Tongue Point!

I just have the 1 mini and 3 goats.

2 bales of grass hay @ 17.00= 34.00

1 bag of Equine Senior @ 16.95 which has lasted since Nov 10th, 2008

50 lb mineral and salt block 10.95 which will last forever.

with treats I would say about 50 bucks a month for me.

treats being carrots, apples, oranges, lettuce, celery, crackers, oats and only the left overs.

I am going to try and take some classes on trimming his feet, so I can do it my self.

But until then I have him on a standing appointment of every 8 weeks with trimming and wormer.

Latest posts

Back