What do you spend on a MONTHLY average???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allure Ranch

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I thought it would be interesting for all of us to get a precise idea of what everyone else is spending on a MONTHLY average for your horses on feed cost. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]What state do you reside: I reside in San Antonio, TX[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]How many horses do you own presently: I presently own (64) horses[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]What is your feed (grain) cost: I buy(60) bags of Safe & Sound Feed each month at $11.95 per bag totaling $717.00 per month [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]What are you spending on grass/hay/coastal/alfalfa: I buy (60) bales of alfalfa at $13.95 per square bale totaling $837.00 per month and (4) round bales of coastal every (2) weeks during the winter at $75.00 per bale totaling $600.00 per month[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]My sum total monthly is a whooping: $2154.00[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see....1 load (133 bales) of small square timothy/alfalfa per month at $620

$200 worth of small square timothy bales, $90 for small square straw bales,

4 bags of Frontrunner Phase 2 pellets = $60

12 bags of rolled oats = $120

3 boxes of Equest mineral = $110

What's that come to? $1200? I knew I didn't want to know the grand total!!

I live in Manitoba and have less than half as many horses as you do.

And you are not counting in the costs of vaccinations, dental work, farrier work, incidental veterinary costs, shipping, showing, advertising...just off the top of my head.

What state do you reside: Maryland - The DC/Metro Area to be exact!

How many horses do you own presently: 6 Miniature Horses & I Quarter Horse X (who is an easy keeper)

What is your feed (grain) cost:

-Grain, 16 bags / month = $192

-Beet Pulp, 8 bags / month = $104

What are you spending on grass/hay/coastal/alfalfa:

-12 bales Alfalfa hay / month = $168

-10 bales Orchard (grass) hay or equal / month = $70

~$534 a month. Less than $100 per head, so I am happy - except this doesn't include supplements, salt/mineral licks, vet, farrier, etc. etc.. Added, my horses have VERY limited pasture due to our location and seasons.. even in spring and summer the grass doesn't offer more than just a snack..

I live in Nova Scotia Canada

I have 6 miniatures, 3 of which are pregnant.

I spend ~1000$ per year on hay.

Grain/pelleted feed cost 90$ per month.

Salt licks 5$ per month

So feeding my babies cost me a grand total of 197$ per month.

Looks like I'm low man on the totem pole. I do have 2 acres of paddocks that the minis graze on all summer, so I dont have to feed much hay in the daytime in summer.

Having minis to love..... PRICELESS

Mind you this does not include vet fees, booster shots, wormer or bedding. You can almost double that number if you want to include everything.

What state do you reside?: Ontario, Canada

How many horses do you own?: 3

What is your grain/feed cost?: $35/mo. (a bag of Gro 'n Win)

What are you spending on hay?: 1 large square bale of grass hay is about $70. Lasts about 1 1/2 mos.

Per month total: Around...$70.00

• [SIZE=12pt]What state do you reside: I reside in Ontario, Canada[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]How many horses do you own presently: I presently own 13 horses[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]What is your feed (grain) cost: I am currently only graining my stallion, no other horses at this time. Cost for him a month is about $6.00 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=12pt]What are you spending on grass/hay/coastal/alfalfa: I feed close to 35 bales per month,(more on the extremely cold days) so that is about $140/mo on my hay.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]My total monthly sum is less than: $150.00. I should also note that these are winter costs. I feed grain to more horses in the Spring and Fall, so grain costs are much higher for me at that time, but I don't feed hay all summer long, so that is knocked way back to almost nothing for the summer.[/SIZE]

What state do you reside: I reside in NW Oregon

How many horses do you own presently: two minis, one Icelandic and one B sized Jenny donkey.

What is your feed (grain) cost: Bought a bag of wheat bran which costs $23.95 for 50lbs and last 4 +months .. I do Fed Vitamins and it comes out..approx. $20.00 a month for 4 equines.

What are you spending on grass/hay/coastal/alfalfa: I hay our place and sell half, so the hay doesn't cost me any thing. (But if I want to keep all the hay next year.. would be aprrox $300.00 for a years supply of hay, that could feed more horses than I currently have.)

Last month I bought 1 bag of Alfalfa chop when we had the Artic snow event. It cost $12.50 a bag. I don't normally buy extras unless there is extreme weather like that.

So the monthly expenditure, is costing me Approx... $30.00 a month for 4 equines....

(Not counting worming, trims .. that would add another $57.00 a month for all 4 - $87.00 a month total.)

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

What state do you reside: Missouri

[SIZE=12pt]How many horses do you own presently: I presesntly own 24.5 but 28 live on the farm.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]What is your feed (grain) cost: I buy roughly 30 bags of feed per month, comes out to $480 per month[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]What are you spending on grass/hay/coastal/alfalfa: I feed on average 1 round bale orchard/grass mix per week and 1 square bale of orchard/grass (same mixture but better quality than my round bales) per week. Round bales are $45, square are $4.50.

So, just feed and hay comes to $678 per month or $25 per horse per month. However, when I add in shavings, treats, wormer, kelp, supplements, vaccine and farrier, my cost per horse is $95 per month (based on 2008 actuals). Does not include training fees, registration, microchips, show fees, stud fees, dental or other medical things.

My base total is $2660 per month.
default_new_shocked.gif

* What state do you reside: I reside in British Columbia, Canada

* How many horses do you own presently: I presently own 14 horses

* What is your feed (grain) cost: Only my young stock (weanlings and 1-2yr olds) are being grained right now and the total is $38/mnth

* What are you spending on grass/hay/coastal/alfalfa: I feed large squares of alfalfa, mixed grass hay which I bring in by the transport load in fall. They cost me $71 each and I feed about about 5 bales every three months which works out to about $118/mnth

So that total is $156/mnth not including salt, and minerals. That is a grand total of $1772. per year (slightly over $126/per horse per year) not counting the extra supplements i might add at various times.

I live in Freeland, Michigan

We have 22 miniatures, 4 of which are in foal.

With temps @ 20 and below, everybody gets grain twice a day - grain bill is $~ 500 month

Hay - 3 bales/day @ $4 each - $360

Equine JR 4 bags a month @ 25 each - $100

7 heated water buckets going 24/7 - priceless

Sorry - I cannot add that up - it will just depress me.

I live in Duvall, WA

I have approx 43 horses now but not all are mine

I buy 20 bags of grain @ $15/bag = $300/mo

I feed grass/alf mix & go thru approx $1200/mo in hay

My shavings cost me $600/mo

My supplements are $120/mo

My de-wormer is $120/mo

Total -- oh geeze, dont want to see this: $2490 ! !
default_new_shocked.gif

Doesn't include hoof trims @ $20 per horse roughly every 8 weeks, or any dentals, special vet bills, show/training -- yikes, I had better get ANOTHER job to help with this habit.

Stacy

I live in Nevada. I have 4 horses.

I buy 1 bag of Safe Choice @ $16.95

1 bag of Beet pulp @ 15.95

1 bag of COB (shared with the rabbits) @ 15.95

5 bales grass/alfelfa hay @ 16.00 each for a total of $80.00

My grand total of monthly cost is $ 128.95 But remember, the bag of cob is shared with the rabbits.

What state do you reside: Southern MN

How many horses do you own presently: 5 - 4 minis and one biggie

What is your feed (grain) cost: Approx $105 now that its winter, less in the summer.

What are you spending on grass/hay/coastal/alfalfa: Approx $50 when broken down month to month from the hay we buy. We put up most of our own in the summer - mixed grass and alfalfa mix hays.

Plus dewormer, incidentals, salt blocks, treats.

Man, I feel like a cheap skate compared to most of you. But, we don't show, or promote. And I do our own feet, with the exception of the biggie mare who requires a farrier to come in.

Wow some heavy duty costs some people have l couldn't afford those costs..mine for 40 some minis is 4-500 a month for bagged feeds. l get oats twice by the truck load in the fall off the field for 145 and hay runs about 2100 or less for the year..

Ok, I guess I'll play...

8 miniatures, 4 saddle horses (3 saddle horses are out to winter pasture with home-grown round bale hay, about 2 bales month,), so... That leaves 8 minis and 1 saddle horse for feed costs.

I'm in the frozen northern eastern corner of Montana.

I go through:

3 bags of ration balancer per month ($30 each): $90 (year round, a bit more when I have pregnant and growing horses)

1 bag of COB - $13

2 bags of senior ($15 each) - $30 (mostly for senior half-Arab gelding, and a little for my A-size stallion)

2 bags of beet pulp pellets ($8 each)- $16

2 bags of forage pellets ($10 each) - $20 (dropping this, as my senior half-Arab gelding is going onto a fat supplement - the forage pellets aren't that great of quality, but its what's available. This summer I hope to get some grass hay pellets, there is a store about 4 hours from here that carries them, so I'll stock up).

1/4 bag of alfalfa cubes - $4

Total: $173/month (in winter, its slightly less in summer, as I don't feed beet pulp). [The ration balancer is my year round staple, so that's fed 365. The beet pulp is only fed in winter, as are the alfalfa cubes.]

Our hay is bromegrass and crested wheatgrass, all our own. I go through 3/4 round bale for the senior gelding and 3/4 round bale for the minis per month. [When I do have to buy hay its around $90/ton for small squares and $80/ton for rounds.]

Plus joint supplement for the senior gelding ($40/month), Remission ($15/tub - tub lasts 4 months), B-L pellets ($15/tub).

Plus shots, dental, farrier (just lost my farrier, so looking for a new one, probably me for awhile), vet, etc.

* What state do you reside: i am in Northeast Ohio

* How many horses do you own presently: 27 mini's & 2 arabs

* What is your feed (grain) cost: we have our own corn, so i have the feed mill mix up my horse feed using my own corn. it cost me $ 73.00 for 500 pounds of horse feed. this will last me a month. i am only feeding the 2 arabs, & only 9 mini's.

* What are you spending on grass/hay/coastal/alfalfa: we make our own hay, we use round & square bales. i dont know how much we spent on fuel for the tractor. if i had to buy the round bales it would be about $ 160.00 amonth

My sum total monthly is a whooping: $ 233.00 amonth

I live in the most northern part of NY, 7 miles from Ontario, Canada.

10 minis

WINTER COSTS PER MONTH

3 bags sweet feed at $14=$45

35 bales timothy/alfalfa at 2.25=$79

GRAND TOTAL=$124

Wormer,salt,cost of 4 heated buckets is additional.

In the summer, the hay is cut in half as they are on pasture .

I apparently need to figure out how to cut my costs because I'm thinking I'm over-paying or over-feeding.
default_unsure.png

* What state do you reside: Colorado

* How many horses do you own presently: 12

* What is your feed (grain) cost: 12 bags of feed @ 16.00, 1 bag of beet pulp 224.00

* What are you spending on grass/hay/coastal/alfalfa: 14 bales of hay @ 6.00 84.00

We have eight in the barn on shavings we get one load 5-6 months @ 160.00 (priceless)

Latest posts

Back