What do you put your hay in for your mini?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katrina

Reaction score
I'm very curious what everyone puts the hay in. I use a clean stall mat but they flick all the hay everywhere with their nose, most stays on the mat but some the launch outside the pen and than can't get to it easily. Show me what you all do. Thanks ❤

I've always fed hay directly on the ground, yes some will be wasted but usually its the lower quality stuff that they don't want anyway. I'd only go to the trouble of using a hay net if your horse needs it for some medical reason, otherwise the risk that they can get a foot caught is way to great. I have seen some people just drop the nets on the ground and then you see the horse get it's leg stuck and run in a panic across the paddock with the "monster" chasing them... not worth it. If you use hay nets, make sure they are strung up at head height. Even with the net (or Bag), they will still pull it out and throw it all over the pen/stall/paddock and leave whatever they don't want on the ground. Other types of hay savers can trap dust and dirt in the air space around the hay and adversely affect your horses respiratory health. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to feed high quality grass hay to your mini directly on the ground. They prefer being fed that way as you have found out and it cuts WAY DOWN on your maintenance. The only difference in feeding a mini horse vs a full sized horse is the quantity they require. The horse is designed to graze from the ground in a wide open space. If your mini's want to flick the hay every where in search of the best stuff then clean up the crumbs later, let them it is awesome enrichment.

A great BIG DITTO to what HannaHH posted.... On the Ground. And if you have sandy soil? Lay out rubber mats to put the hay on, if feeding outside of a stall.
We NEVER use hay NETS, EVER. for just the reason HannaHH stated. We witnessed a young colt at the Oregon State Fair get caught up and before anyone could get to him, his leg was broken. We have used a feed BAG in the trailer when a horse had to be tied....but that is very seldom.

On the ground. I had a large pony get caught in her hay net. I heard her thrashing and ran out to the barn to discover her front leg through the bag up so high she was barely able to stand on her other leg. How she did it is beyond me as always hung the net high. I had a heck of a time getting near her to cut her down and she was roped burned and very lame afterwards.

Oh dear.... :eek:

I use hay nets... but I make my own from baling twine (found a tutorial on youtube). They're super durable. I make the holes smaller for my pig of a mare so she doesn't inhale her hay (and to keep feet out of them). Pictured are my nets. I AM replacing my fence though as there were feet caught in that the yesterday. :(20200503_105713.jpg

I had a Hay Pillow at one point. I did like that. But she destroyed it, and I always found it in the water trough lol... I'd be willing to try it again with a bit bigger holes though. I think I ordered them too small and frustrated her.

Anything can happen, of course, but the hay bag works for me. I can hang it on the fence and both horses can nibble from either side. However, mine are mostly on pasture and the hay bag is just supplemental when I have them in the dry lot. So they are not as inclined to mess with it out of boredom. I did have a problem with the hay bag reinfecting my horse with pin worms because he rubbed on it. So do empty and wash your hay bag occasionally.

I have a hay net with 1/2 inch holes. It takes him a few hours to finish his pound of hay and almost none gets wasted. I want him to be able to spend more time eating than he would if he could eat at his pace. I feel it is pretty safe as the holes are tiny and it's not the kind that can stretch.

Kiddie pool. Seriously. Keeps them from throwing it out and picking it out of the sand. Yes they get in the pool. Double bonus because I use a kiddie pool to bathe them. I built a recirculating bather to bathe my minis so the pool works perfect. I kind of came up with feeding out of a kiddie pool by accident but it's the best thing I've ever used.

I have used slow-feed hay nets since the idea first appeared online from the Swedish Hoof school! Have had the greatest satisfaction for my minis using Freedom Feeder nets, a soft, knot-free type. I placed eye bolts on the sides near the bottom of oval 'tub' type feeders, use carbiners to snap the hay net inside the feeder. placed on mats(both inside and outside), and sweep the mats twice daily. Net for my adult mini is 1" openings; he might do even better w/ 1/2", as he is very proficient at eating from the net. Haven't introduced my yearling filly to net feeding yet, as she has a very 'busy' exploring mouth,is so far a 'pawer' and prone to putting a hoof into her feeder(and eats enough for two horses, a goodly portion of it alfalfa, which doesn't work well in slow feed nets)...will introduce her all in good time. My 'big' horse uses a Squires poly net, named the 'greedy eater', about 1-1 1/4" openings.He does 'bite' his net and shake it; so the 'freedom feeder' didn't work for him; he quickly managed to bite a hole in it! I tie his net to the panel fence, above an oval tub type feeder..but not 'high'(he is always barefoot, and is not a 'pawer'.)He is also on mats. There is VERY minimal waste of hay and/or hay ending up on dirt. Have found it is often necessary to start with larger net openings so horses can learn to use the net, then switch to smaller openings. Of course, if your horse has ANY likelihood of getting a hoof in a net, you must figure out how to place it so that CANNOT happen; this might include building a slow feed BOX feeder with sides impossible to paw over, and using a suitably-sized fastened-down net covering for the hay.(I don't like making a horse reach UP for its hay; it's such an unnatural position.)All that said....I am a BIG fan of slow feeding, and feel it can be a BIG help in creating a more 'natural'(and better for the horse's gastrointestinal health!)eating situation, and thus well worth the extra effort .

I feed in Hay Chix nets on the ground, on rubber mats. I have fed this way for many years. A few of my hay nets are nearing 8 years old now!

View attachment 41309
Mine is Hay Chix also, and I've had it for years. Mine does hang on a fence, as Midnight will paw anything on the ground into a pulp.

I'm very curious what everyone puts the hay in. I use a clean stall mat but they flick all the hay everywhere with their nose, most stays on the mat but some the launch outside the pen and than can't get to it easily. Show me what you all do. Thanks ❤
i use tough 1 mini slow feed bags hang high enough that they stretch neck to get to center they empty it with no problem , holds 2 flakes tightly packed

One gets his hay in a tub. The other eats way too fast, so to slow her down she gets hers in a Nibble Net. They are super tough and you can get them with really small holes so no worry about getting feet caught if it is hung up. Easily fits 2 lbs of hay. They are both placed over mats which are swept daily.

Attachments

• 20200510_171623.jpg
    20200510_171623.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200510_172153.jpg
    20200510_172153.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 10
Oh dear.... :eek:

I use hay nets... but I make my own from baling twine (found a tutorial on youtube). They're super durable. I make the holes smaller for my pig of a mare so she doesn't inhale her hay (and to keep feet out of them). Pictured are my nets. I AM replacing my fence though as there were feet caught in that the yesterday. :(View attachment 41272

I had a Hay Pillow at one point. I did like that. But she destroyed it, and I always found it in the water trough lol... I'd be willing to try it again with a bit bigger holes though. I think I ordered them too small and frustrated her.

I have 2 like new Mini Hay Pillows available to sell if you’re interested. I’ve decided not to use them with our two weanlings. I’d take $40 each, including shipping. I had to pay tax and shipping, so it’s a great deal! Here’s what they are:

upload_2020-5-28_0-34-9.jpeg

Latest posts

Back