What do you love to do most with your minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Driving on a trail in the crisp autumn air when the leaves are changing color... just taking it slow, feeling the cart rock back and forth with the hoofsteps...very soothing. It's like time travel to a different era when life moved at a much slower pace. At least that is what I am daydreaming about.
default_smile.png

I also enjoy just lounging behind the barn in the shade on a sunny afternoon, sitting in a lawn chair with a couple of cold ones and listening to old time country music (I mean the REALLY old 1920's 1930's hillbilly stuff) on the iPod. The minis come up and usually want a sip of the beer, but then we just chill together. Again, it's kind of an escape from the modern world.
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Many favorite things to do with them.

BUT one of THE favorite ones is taking my morning coffee out into a paddock as the sun is rising and just looking at everyone and breathing in the scents of the morning. I will have some come up to me to visit, others stay away, and some will play with the barn cats that join me as I traverse pastures and paddocks. A great way to start a day - then chores and my own breakfast commence. I can't do this every day - life simply is fast and doesn't always allow such a laid back start...

13mar22ko45bp.jpg

Another favorite thing is to take them to Draft Horse events. I've been working with a Draft Horse trainer since April 2010 and now have a well trained pair and working on a couple of other pair hookups. Eventually I will be doing both 3 and 4 abreast hitches to do some "work" with an actual disk, a spring tooth harrow & crumbler and a pull behind the fore cart(for now) mower/bushhog. It's great to hear the surprised comments from all the folk that say ".... they just aren't big enough to do that..." and see their dropped jaw, stunned looks when the little horses do!

11apr16ncwhma932.jpg

And I enjoy sharing them with newcomers at some of the events I've gone to - botht the draft horse ones and when I've taken them sooo far away to share with my Dad and his assisted living home folk in TX.

12apr14ncwhma443.jpg

https://picasaweb.google.com/purplepaintpony/BellBitShetlandMarePair#5593728804786402082

12oct25bebi045v.jpg

And of course, I love "playing" with the foals. I'm able to share the love with our two grand daughters the same way that I did with our own daughters 18 years ago when we "got our first shetland". Gracelynne (Gracie) is 2 1/2 here with Rio, just hours old, on April 17th 2013.

13apr17sColt384.jpg

This year I've made the decision not to breed any mares back and it wasn't easy. BUT it will give me time to work with the other youngsters I've bred since 2008 and to work on selling some that I had bred with the intention of selling...

Guess I need to go to more events to introduce more people to the minis and ponies that I love!!

I especially like that I can haul 1 - 6 ponies and the equipment by myself to events and places - which works well for me since most of my family are doing their own thing right now... LOL.

Maggie, I love doing anything with her, from watching her eat, to having her help me work or going for a drive.

860400_10200583054085184_1081424025_o.jpg

602141_10200686161822813_750260618_n.jpg

She is also trained to do scaled down draft work.

Maggie, I love doing anything with her, from watching her eat, to having her help me work or going for a drive.

860400_10200583054085184_1081424025_o.jpg

602141_10200686161822813_750260618_n.jpg

She is also trained to do scaled down draft work.

You know I LOVES me some Miss Maggie!
default_wub.png

Wow, you all sound like you have a great time with your minis and ponies! Thanks so much everyone for sharing your stories and photos, I'm sure we can all relate in the way we feel about these special horses.

One of the things I love most about minis is that no matter who you are, where you come from, no matter what age, gender, race, sexuality, political belief, at the end of the day, we are all involved with these amazing animals, and on this forum, for our love of everything small equine. And I think it makes each one of us a better person through out.

Dan.

Wow, you all sound like you have a great time with your minis and ponies! Thanks so much everyone for sharing your stories and photos, I'm sure we can all relate in the way we feel about these special horses.

One of the things I love most about minis is that no matter who you are, where you come from, no matter what age, gender, race, sexuality, political belief, at the end of the day, we are all involved with these amazing animals, and on this forum, for our love of everything small equine. And I think it makes each one of us a better person through out.

Dan.
Amen to that! The love of minis/ponies, and this awesome place to gather to share that love. Love it!!!

Dan, I can't wait to show my husband the picture of you driving your mini with the cart. This is what he hopes we can eventually do with these little horses. He really wants to do this.

You can get yours driving, too.

And ours really work as well - don't have a lot of pics but we are still clearing property...

13mar13beca856.jpg

13mar13beca857.jpg

I could not lift these chunks of logs into the bed of the big truck or the little truck. They pulled them no problems.

Oh.. just loved seeing all these pictures. Painted pony- awesome photos. So special to see the minis working too.

Paula, That is so awesome. Can't wait to show my husband these photos. He will be happy to see them as guys like to be able to have a working reason sometimes to have these horses but he loves just watching them run and spending time brushing them out.

I love watching them run. I love watching our grandsons and nieces and nephews enjoy these horses. Today I sat beside the little one month filly as she was taking a nap and rubbed all her tiny little hooves, rubbed the dirt out and just enjoyed having this time. She just lay there asleep and I loved feeling her smooth little hooves in my hands.

Latest posts

Back