What do you love to do most with your minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Dan

Reaction score
I think it would be interesting to see what everyone's favorite things are to do with their minis and Shetlands. Maybe we can all get some new and fun ideas and activities to do with our equine friends. .

One of my favorite things to do with my horses is driving. Ever since this past summer, driving has become one of my favorite activities. After a several month hiatus, and much frustration and thoughts of selling all of my equipments and carts, I am pleased to say we have made a quick, and enjoyable comeback to the world of driving. There is nothing I enjoy more than hitching up and going for a jaunt around the yard, or a jog down the road. Below is a picture of myself driving my best girl, Polly, a few days ago. (Sorry about the image size, I have never been able to figure out how to re size them!)

caf583563d71ab9699a3bc44bc4bb01a_zps0f636802.jpg

In addition to driving, I love showing my minis and Shetlands off to the public. Nothing fails to amuse me more than taking someone for a walk and being greeted by the quizzical stares and rubber necking of passer by. I could talk for hours about my "kids", and love making the day of people better through their charming personalities.

I would love for everyone to share what it is that they love to do most with their horses and ponies. Pictures are, of course, always recommended
default_whistling.gif

Dan.

I too love driving down the road. We always have niebors that wave at us as we go by or come over to say hi and see our girl.

I also love just standing in the sun and brushing and petting my little Diva.

Just being with her is special to me.

We are learning to do obstical and jumping so we shall see how we like those once they are learned.

So far it is all a lot of fun.

I guess I just love my girl .

I love just spending time with Pippin. I love to just sit on the porch steps and groom him an pet him. Though I have to admit taking him for our walks down the roads and through the field every few days. I love the looks and comments I get from neighbors because he is so cute and so well behaved. It's great because the majority of our little "neighborhood" is full of kids 6 and under who love to run out and hug him, feed him treats (I swear they're turning him into a beggar pony), groom him, play games with him (my favorite being when all the kids come out and we play hide and seek in the field, and lead him up and down the road (they hold the end and walk while I have the actual control. It's great to see their faces light up when they see him trotting down the road.

I'm also starting to teach him how to drive and jump and I'm loving every single moment. Pippin is so smart that I spend the majority of my day figuring out new "games" and tricks to keep him occupied and out of trouble. I'm about to teach him how to answer questions with yes or no head shakes, count, and bow.

I think my all time favorite moment so far happened about two weeks ago when I took him to the local ice cream shop so he could get out and I could get ice cream. I was eating my ice cream on the sidewalk and he was grazing on a patch of grass when a little girl walked over and sat down. She spent a minute or two looking at him when I finally smiled and said she could pet him. She jumped up smiling as large as the Cheshire Cat and started hugging on him and rubbing him, whispering things at him the whole time. It didn't take long before six or seven kids from the ages of about 4-8 were rubbing him and loving on him. Pippin was a bit nervous at first because they were all really excited and jumping around but after I explained that he was still a horse and they needed to calm down he settled. This lasted for about fifteen minutes and I spent most of the time answering the kids and day care workers' questions. After the kids went back inside one of the older ladies came to talk to me. She told me that the girl who had come out first hadn't talked to anyone or played with anyone since she started at the daycare a few weeks before, that girl had been laughing and talking non stop the whole time to Pip. It lit up my day like nothing else. Minis are magic

I love spending quality time brushing picking feet etc. Also enjoy trick training, practicing some obstacle and doing parades, fairs and children's camps. I will hopefully be getting my boy driving this summer, and enter some local shows, I am excited for that.

I love grooming my little guy. It is so peaceful and relaxing for us both.

I love driving. The neighbors all point and wave. So fun to be out trotting along smartly. I tell my horse "You one fine looking horsey, Wiseguy!" We walk along the back roads. The sun and the desert and the quiet.

I'm the most proud of teaching him the pivot turn. He didn't know how when I got him and I taught him all on my own:)

My favorite thing to do is just hang out in the pasture with the horses and sit with them and be a part of the world. I love trick training and to see what new behaviors I can train. And I love hiking with the horses. Nothing better than hitting the trail with a mini. I'm going to be able to start swimming with them this summer which will be a blast.

Reactions: REO
Im a showmanship and halter junkie. I lke to teach my guy new things, and I've lately been learning to sew him things. He has the cutest little wardrobe now - complete with hot pink fleece "jammies." Yup, my stud's in touch with his feminine side.

I love grooming them, just sitting in the stall and or pasture with them. Taking them for walks through the woods. Hoping to learn and train one for driving in the future.

Edit to add: in a perfect world I would love to have one of every color and coat pattern to watch in the pasture.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite things to do with Banner is jumping and working at liberty, and working on our driving skills. It has taken to long to undo the bad experiences he has had, and it makes everything so very satisfactory
default_smile.png

Driving them IS a ton of fun!!!!!
default_yes.gif

I think my favorite thing is.....sitting there talking to them, hugging them, loving on them and knowing they love me back.
default_wub.png

Can I say everything? I love to spend any time I can with Lulu. We go on five mile walks or drives down the road several times a week and we work almost every single day on things like jumping and showmanship. Other times I will just sit in her pasture and talk to her, or we'll do stuff at liberty. (A year or two ago I taught her to 'play' soccer, which was a lot of fun for both of us.) Recently we started doing showmanship, jumping, and obstacle courses all without a halter or lead. Being able to do that with her is by far one of the coolest things I have done with a horse.

Oh, and I can't forget the shows! I'm itching to take Lulu to some shows this year. Showing her is super rewarding and I love telling people her story. As a foster home for my local horse rescue, I also can show people what a rescue horse is capable of, so that is a bonus, as well.

My favorite thing to do with Max is go for a long walk, especially on trails. I find this very peaceful, and I think he enjoys it, too. I also love giving rides to little kids.

Most of my activities with Max are also done with my daughter, who grew up with him. So I have many special memories of our times together- trail rides we took together, teaching Max to drive, designing crazy obstacle courses, being in the Fourth of July parade... My daughter went through a phase where she loved dressing him up in silly outfits (I'm not sure that was Max's favorite activity, but we have some fantastic pictures!).

I agree with Rescuemini - everything! I love sharing them with others, such as taking them to nursing homes. I LOVE working with the 4-Hers and our minis, watching them interact, seeing how much our special needs 4-Her can do with them and how everyone pitches in to help each other. Minis are just PERFECT for this. I love driving, I love training the minis for shows, and I love the shows. I also love just watching them run around the pasture, or eating, or doing silly things. Grooming them is a special time too. I can't imagine life without minis.

Mine loves to "play" in the pasture, she just wants someone to run with her and since she doesn't have another horse her size around, she uses people and my great Dane, my dog is slightly intimidated by her though LOL so I usually provide that with her along with some groundwork in between.

I also bring her up on the patio to hang out with us, the other day when we bbqed she was mighty interested in what my husband was cooking, standing with the dogs in line to get a treat and trying to eat my son's homework - not sure if the teacher would have accepted that excuse
default_smile.png

Here's a video from a couple of days ago, I'm trying to work her more often since she's turning 2 next week and I would like to start some driving training soon. First time for me so I think I need to head over to the driving board for some advice
default_smile.png

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=510328269015784&l=6755980822536528957

Great topic, Dan. We enjoy showing, demos, parades, etc., but my very favorite thing to do with them is stare at them. I love to sit outside the barn after a long day and just watch them, learn how they interact, play and socialize with each other. If they start to show off, it's a plus! It's a great wasy to unwind.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I love about my minis? Well I a can say most of it is the same as others. The smell, being with them, cleaning the barn, watching them, especially when they play, foaling and the foals, cleaning them up and bathing and so much more.

BUT what I can say I love the most is they keep me healthy!!!! I being a diabetic, it is important that I be active. The horses keep me going morning and night 365 days a year and many many times all day long. Even when the weather is crappy, I don't have the choice to just sit in the house and do nothing. I have to go out and take care of the horses. And because I love horses this is not as bad of a job when the weather is crappy! They make me get my exercise and I love them for this.

Horses are my therapy and my exercise!!!!!

Latest posts

Back