What do you feed your ponies for feed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony.Mom

Reaction score
Wondering what everyone feeds their minis. From foal to senior? I just picked up a bag of Valley Flax and CFS Elevate for my 2 seniors. Plus they get free choice hay. Just wondering what everyone else feeds. Pictures of my 2 seniors just in hay alone for almost 3 years. 

IMG_20180914_112218_220.jpg

IMG_20180916_220247_242.jpg

We just feed a locally manufactured 14 percent grain to almost everybody with varied amounts, depending on their need. Our grass hay is also locally grown. They also get a vitamin/mineral with salt supplement. (We are in a low selenium region.)  Your seniors look in good weight, but we've had seniors drop weight (usually rescues) who benefit from a Senior Grain.  This year we had two "older to middle-aged" stallions drop weight with their pacing.....even though they had girls with them, so we fed them the Senior Grain plus soaked beet pulp and they look amazing now.

I feed good quality grass hay and mix a vitamin supplement, along with their other supplements, into a mash made of timothy pellets.  I tried several ration balancers, but neither mini did well on them, I think the soy disagreed with them.  I had an old pony (12.2 hands) on a complete feed from Blue Seal when his teeth went and he did great on that along with whatever hay he could gum down.

Back