What do you feed your ponies for feed?

Discussion in 'Miniature Horse Forum' started by Pony.Mom, Sep 27, 2018.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

1. Sep 27, 2018 #1

Pony.Mom

Pony.Mom

Pony.Mom

Wondering what everyone feeds their minis. From foal to senior? I just picked up a bag of Valley Flax and CFS Elevate for my 2 seniors. Plus they get free choice hay. Just wondering what everyone else feeds. Pictures of my 2 seniors just in hay alone for almost 3 years. 

IMG_20180914_112218_220.jpg

IMG_20180916_220247_242.jpg

2. Sep 27, 2018 #2

Miniv

Miniv

Miniv

We just feed a locally manufactured 14 percent grain to almost everybody with varied amounts, depending on their need. Our grass hay is also locally grown. They also get a vitamin/mineral with salt supplement. (We are in a low selenium region.)  Your seniors look in good weight, but we've had seniors drop weight (usually rescues) who benefit from a Senior Grain.  This year we had two "older to middle-aged" stallions drop weight with their pacing.....even though they had girls with them, so we fed them the Senior Grain plus soaked beet pulp and they look amazing now.

3. Sep 27, 2018 #3

Cayuse

Cayuse

Cayuse

I feed good quality grass hay and mix a vitamin supplement, along with their other supplements, into a mash made of timothy pellets.  I tried several ration balancers, but neither mini did well on them, I think the soy disagreed with them.  I had an old pony (12.2 hands) on a complete feed from Blue Seal when his teeth went and he did great on that along with whatever hay he could gum down.